Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing 4000 x 3000 pictures

Options
  • 02-10-2013 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi guys. I have a bunch of photos that I want to print out at a fujifilm shop.
    My camera is 12mp and most of my photos are 4000 x 3000 in dimension. With exception of those images taken vertically, which are 3000 x 4000

the thing I want to know is, what sizes are suitable for printing these photos at. I was thinking of printing most of them at 5"x7" or 6"x8. and then theres one photo in particular I wanted printed fairly large but thats no important right now.

I dont really know which photo sizes are suitable for these pics. Will they be all skewed and distorted if printed too small? Is there a minimum print size I have to print them at?

I'm just having a hard time understanding this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the standard resolution is typically around 300dpi (i.e. 300 pixels of your image would be squeezed into one inch on the print) - which would mean your shots are fine to print at 13" x 10" at native resolution.

6x8 would match the aspect ratio of the shots you have, but 5x7 would be slightly more rectangular (as in less square), so it'd end up slightly cropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

For your larger print: The dpi/ppi you need is reduced by the viewing distance for whatever size print you have. 12mp is fine for just about any size you care to print as long as you want it to be viewed as a whole by somebody standing far enough away to be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

tosspot15 wrote: »
    I dont really know which photo sizes are suitable for these pics. Will they be all skewed and distorted if printed too small? Is there a minimum print size I have to print them at?
    No, in fact they'll probably look slightly better at a reduced size.

The only thing you need to worry about is not going over the maximum size, crop away to your hearts content as long as you don't stretch the image you won't notice any problems with the photos.

Advertisement