Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re-importing a UK car back to the UK after a spell in Ireland

Options
  • 04-05-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey guys,
    So I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into my situation.

I bought a car from the UK in 2011 (it was registered under my home address in the UK). I brought it to Ireland the same year and re-registered it, paying VRT and what not. (as I knew I was going to be in Ireland for more than 12 months ).
    Anyways, so now, 2 years later, I plan on moving back to the UK and was wondering if I'd have to pay another VRT on getting there especially giving the fact that I've paid one here and the car was originally a UK registered car.
    (p.s- I only have photocopies of the V5/UK registration papers as I had to give the originals to the VRT guys here)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Yarisa wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    So I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into my situation.

I bought a car from the UK in 2011 (it was registered under my home address in the UK). I brought it to Ireland the same year and re-registered it, paying VRT and what not. (as I knew I was going to be in Ireland for more than 12 months ).
    Anyways, so now, 2 years later, I plan on moving back to the UK and was wondering if I'd have to pay another VRT on getting there especially giving the fact that I've paid one here and the car was originally a UK registered car.
    (p.s- I only have photocopies of the V5/UK registration papers as I had to give the originals to the VRT guys here)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

No, you won't need to pay any VRT in UK, as there is no such thing. You just need to register it. I'm not sure what paperwork exactly is needed, but I'm sure it won't be too complicated, and should cost you only small bit on some administration charges..

Also good news is, that you can get part of VRT you paid in Ireland back.
    All you need to do is to make an appointment with NCTS for export VRT inspection. They will assess the car, and caluclate the current value and VRT.
    Then you have 30 days to register car in country of destination (UK in your case), and they will pay you your VRT back minus 500 euro administration charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd imagine the DVLA website would have alot of this information:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yarisa

hey, thanks a million. I had no idea I could get some of my VRT back.. that's awesome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

.............and they will pay you your VRT back minus 500 euro administration charge.

The robbing barstewards... 500 for filling in a few forms.. Your average Consultant Brain Surgeon doesn't charge that much.. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Helen14

Hi, was just wondering how you got on with this as I am about to do the same. I didn't have to pay VRT in Ireland so not worried about that bit. Car was registered in my name but my husband wants to take it to UK as is working over there.
    Appreciate a reply, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Yarisa

Helen14 wrote: »
    Hi, was just wondering how you got on with this as I am about to do the same. I didn't have to pay VRT in Ireland so not worried about that bit. Car was registered in my name but my husband wants to take it to UK as is working over there.
    Appreciate a reply, thanks.

Hey Helen, so I am going to make the assumption your car is Irish bought and registered, do correct me if I'm wrong. The rules are slightly different if you are importing the car temporarily or permanently but I'll explain both.

With regards to your husband driving your car, I'm not 100% sure but I think if you add him to the insurance, that shouldn't be a problem. Alternatively, you could re-register the car in his name but I'm not sure what that process entails.

TEMPORARY IMPORTS: If you are coming to the UK to study or work for a fixed period of time but your main residence is in Ireland you will need to notify HMRC Customs that u r bringing in the car and they will give you a customs relief form so that u can drive with ur Irish plates during that period. This is because the normal amount of time to drive on foreign plates is 6 months but if you are working or studying exemptions can be made, provided you plan on leaving when studies or the work contract ends.

PERMANENT IMPORT: Now if you are moving permanently, or if u decide to switch ur plates you notify the HMRC and complete an online NOVA form which will calculate any VAT you are due to pay. U have to notify customs within 14 days of your arrival otherwise you may be liable to pay a fee.

Once you have notified them, you can then contact the DVLA who would send you the necessary forms to fill out (I think it's called v55c or smth). You will also have to do an MOT using the chassis no of your car to obtain a certificate. You send these documents to them together with proof of name and address (the specifics of which documents would be listed in the guidance book they send with the forms),and Your registration certificate.There's also a charge for your motor tax which will depend on your co2 emissions (likewise a chart mapping co2 emissions to the appropriate tax will be listed). This is payable by cheque or postal order.

So to summarise here's what you'll need to send:
    1. V55c or other form
    2. MOT certificate (NCT NOT accepted)
    3. Proof of name- passport or birth certificate
    4. Proof of address- utility bill or bank statement
    5. Postal order for motor tax
    6. Original certification of registration.

Finally you send your documents off and all things being equal you should hear back from them in 2 weeks with your tax disc and a letter to get your UK license plates.

Hope it's useful and if not, you can always pass on the information to someone else who needs it :)

Regards,
    Yarisa

• Registered Users Posts: 33,123 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone know what value the VRT/NCT guys use to value your car.

Is it the OMSP in Ireland now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yarisa wrote: »

PERMANENT IMPORT: Now if you are moving permanently, or if u decide to switch ur plates you notify the HMRC and complete an online NOVA form which will calculate any VAT you are due to pay. U have to notify customs within 14 days of your arrival otherwise you may be liable to pay a fee.

Once you have notified them, you can then contact the DVLA who would send you the necessary forms to fill out (I think it's called v55c or smth). You will also have to do an MOT using the chassis no of your car to obtain a certificate. You send these documents to them together with proof of name and address (the specifics of which documents would be listed in the guidance book they send with the forms),and Your registration certificate.There's also a charge for your motor tax which will depend on your co2 emissions (likewise a chart mapping co2 emissions to the appropriate tax will be listed). This is payable by cheque or postal order.

So to summarise here's what you'll need to send:
    1. V55c or other form
    2. MOT certificate (NCT NOT accepted)
    3. Proof of name- passport or birth certificate
    4. Proof of address- utility bill or bank statement
    5. Postal order for motor tax
    6. Original cer

tification of registration.

Finally you send your documents off and all things being equal you should hear back from them in 2 weeks with your tax disc and a letter to get your UK license plates.

Hope it's useful and if not, you can always pass on the information to someone else who needs it :)

Regards,
    Yarisa

You also need to provide the Certificate of Conformity for UK Type Approval. See section 7 of the V55 guide. Not required if the car was originally registered in UK, in which case it will usually get its old reg number back.

I think the main issue would be if the speedo is in kmh for the MoT if originally an Irish car.

Given the second scenario outlined above I am also not sure what would happen if somebody tries to register the car when their name isn't on the Irish V5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement