Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St.Vincents de Paul Dundalk

Options
  • 08-04-2013 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Has anyone gone into St.Vincents de Paul in Clanbrassil street in Dundalk recently, since they moved into their new store, formally the book shop (H&H). Seriously, its like going into a department store, its so big and pricey. They have the clothes overpriced and all these clothes are donations, which is more costly to shop in it than to go down to Pennys and get brand new stuff. Their books are old, smelly and well read, which they are looking for €2 each.
    I know its a charity shop and they have to make money, but they are charging too much for old tat. I think their new shop has gone to their heads and they think it Clearys they are running. If you go to another St.Vinnies elsewhere in Louth you will find the stuff cheaper in them, example 3 books for €2.
    I be interested in other peoples opinions on this shop, to me I think its ridiculous!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Maybe their rent is higher in this premises rather than the run down old places thrift shops often tend to locate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

embireland wrote: »
    Has anyone gone into St.Vincents de Paul in Clanbrassil street in Dundalk recently, since they moved into their new store, formally the book shop (H&H).

I be interested in other peoples opinions on this shop, to me I think its ridiculous!

Yes I have gone into that shop, many a time, to browse books mostly. And your points are exaggerated and unfair, and to hear someone begrudging a charity shop in making money to help people in poverty, which is their raison d'etre, is sickening.

Firstly, big is good. You mustn't remember the old shop down opposite the museum, it was very cramped. It's great to be able to go into both SVP shops in Dundalk and find plenty of room to browse, with everything laid out in sections.

As pricey as Penneys? Give me a break. :rolleyes: That's not even worth commenting on.

How can books be, and I quote, 'smelly?' :confused: Catch a grip. There's a fantastic selection of paperback novels mostly, and E2 is not a lot to ask, a lot of which are read once and are practically brand new. The shop to which you refer is for new stock, and if/when it doesn't sell, it's sent eventually to the Sale shop on Park Street, where books for example are 1 Euro. I've bought countless novels in both shops, and saved a fortune. And had the satisfaction of knowing I'm helping others.

I think the books are so cheap in fact, more often than not I'll offer a wee bit extra because I'm getting such a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mod9maple wrote: »
    Yes I have gone into that shop, many a time, to browse books mostly. And your points are exaggerated and unfair, and to hear someone begrudging a charity shop in making money to help people in poverty, which is their raison d'etre, is sickening.

Firstly, big is good. You mustn't remember the old shop down opposite the museum, it was very cramped. It's great to be able to go into both SVP shops in Dundalk and find plenty of room to browse, with everything laid out in sections.

As pricey as Penneys? Give me a break. :rolleyes: That's not even worth commenting on.

How can books be, and I quote, 'smelly?' :confused: Catch a grip. There's a fantastic selection of paperback novels mostly, and E2 is not a lot to ask, a lot of which are read once and are practically brand new. The shop to which you refer is for new stock, and if/when it doesn't sell, it's sent eventually to the Sale shop on Park Street, where books for example are 1 Euro. I've bought countless novels in both shops, and saved a fortune. And had the satisfaction of knowing I'm helping others.

I think the books are so cheap in fact, more often than not I'll offer a wee bit extra because I'm getting such a bargain.

I can't agree. The books in particular are over-priced for second hand. 2 Euro each is too much for many of them. I buy elsewhere for 3 books at 5 Euro. I could buy them online for 50cent. That said it is a charity and I like to give them some funds. However, the basic premise that the prices went up in the new store holds true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 embireland

I am not against charity shops and always distribute my old stuff to different charity shops to help them rather than binning it, but the store is too big for what they are, and they have the stock spaced out to fill it up. I think the shop is an over expense on st.vincent de pauls part and they are probably paying over the top for rent, so all the charity stuff is being sold to pay rent. There was nothing wrong with their old shop, it had loads of space and if the books were not so dear, most people would buy them. I reckon, from only my opinion, they wont be there for long, as they wont be able to afford it and will close down due to this new shop they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ashling1311

I would like to clarify a few details! The people are there on a daily basis to provide a service for the needy in Dundalk- To my knowledge they have a approx 60 volunteers who come in to help SVP generate income to help the vulnerable in our society. To say that the items in the shop are over-priced is an exaggeration. They are priced based on the quality of them coming into the shops. Yes- everything in their shops are donated to them but they are there to obtain as much income as they possibly can to help the families in need in our own local community. With regards to the rent of the building- their prices are not set to reflect this. You never know when you are one of these families who will need the help that the Society offers. Please keep supporting them as they are doing great work and obviously cant please everyone. Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

I would like to clarify a few details! The people are there on a daily basis to provide a service for the needy in Dundalk- To my knowledge they have a approx 60 volunteers who come in to help SVP generate income to help the vulnerable in our society. To say that the items in the shop are over-priced is an exaggeration. They are priced based on the quality of them coming into the shops. Yes- everything in their shops are donated to them but they are there to obtain as much income as they possibly can to help the families in need in our own local community. With regards to the rent of the building- their prices are not set to reflect this. You never know when you are one of these families who will need the help that the Society offers. Please keep supporting them as they are doing great work and obviously cant please everyone. Keep up the good work!

You obviously not realised theres a recession, people are out work everywhere, and st.vinnies are more expensive than penneys. You probably dont shop in Penneys and never been inside a charity shop in your life, because you have not been inside st.vinnies in Dundalk to post that above. :rolleyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

*snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Guinny88

Embireland obviously has a massive chip on their shoulder regarding "St. Vinnies"? Did you re-brand the store yourself?? Fair play to you... I happen to work right beside their Park Street store and visit both it and the Clanbrassil Street store regularly... I happen to know a lot of the people working in both stores and they are all volounteers which greatly helps reduce overheads. Yes, they are likely paying more rent for their buildings, but they are about a long time, and I'm sure they did the research on the increased expenses before making a decision to move to a bigger premises. I also know their main store recently celebrated a year in business which makes sh*t of your argument that they wont last long. The stores are a welcome break from what most charity shops are like... Dark, dingy and smelly... And you can often get high street brands at great prices... You'll not find that in Penney's... The idea of these shops is to generate revenue to distribute among the needy of the town... Please God, you're never in a position to need it, because that €1 you're crying about would be a welcome €1 in a lot of the poor families in Dundalk...

Guinny88 wrote: »
    Embireland obviously has a massive chip on their shoulder regarding "St. Vinnies"? Did you re-brand the store yourself?? Fair play to you... I happen to work right beside their Park Street store and visit both it and the Clanbrassil Street store regularly... I happen to know a lot of the people working in both stores and they are all volounteers which greatly helps reduce overheads. Yes, they are likely paying more rent for their buildings, but they are about a long time, and I'm sure they did the research on the increased expenses before making a decision to move to a bigger premises. I also know their main store recently celebrated a year in business which makes sh*t of your argument that they wont last long. The stores are a welcome break from what most charity shops are like... Dark, dingy and smelly... And you can often get high street brands at great prices... You'll not find that in Penney's... The idea of these shops is to generate revenue to distribute among the needy of the town... Please God, you're never in a position to need it, because that €1 you're crying about would be a welcome €1 in a lot of the poor families in Dundalk...

Dont make me laugh....they are known as st.vinnies everywhere. Back to my point, they charge more in the Clanbrassil store than the rest of the their stores in Louth. I dont have a chip on my shoulder, I just think they are wasting money on high rents in a high street store, overcharging for second hand gear and the money they are saving on wages from all these volunteers, is being blown on rent to whoever owns the building, and dont tell me they have low rent and did not have to pay key money either. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Guinny88

Your argument is based purely on your own opinion which you're fully entitled to... The fact is that bigger store is allowing them to sell more of the bigger items such as furniture etc which generates more income for the society.. The decision to move to that store would only have been made if it was feasible. They wouldn't move if it was going to affect the level of money being re-distributed to the needy of the town... The fact that they've opened another store in Park Street only adds to the argument that the bigger store is working. And you can be assured that more money is being generated as a result of the better premises... All of which is re-distributed as needed. It's a charitable organisation and is being run as such. Income from the poorer quality stores would have been limited due to size restrictions, layout etc, so why not move to a bigger store to get more out of it?? Personally I think most items are fairly priced. Stuff wouldn't sell otherwise. And as far as I know, it gets reduced after a certain amount of time... So if you held off you might get it cheaper a week or two later. Personally I'm happy to pay for the stuff there as its certainly not extortionate and it ultimately goes to a good cause...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

I go in there quite a lot and tbh I think there stuff is fairly priced sometimes better than Oxfam across the road. I went in there (oxfam) a few weeks ago and there was a bag for €15 I though I was seeing things I even asked the checkout women. I have brought a lot from both stores tho in fairness esp kids clothes for my wee lady and never thought anthing was over priced but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I have noticed the stuff is more expensive than other charity shops. I just buy less. I'd normally buy about 3 books I half wanted to read but in there I'd only buy one if I was sure I'd read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JailBreaker

I actully think Charity shops are too cheap and should be charging 3 or 4 for books

and there clothes could go up A bit

There is a charity Shop in Midleton in Cork and it has a nice dress still with the new tags on it
    The original Price on the dress was €255 and they are only Selling it for €20
    I think a item like that they should at least charge €60 or €70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

I actully think Charity shops are too cheap and should be charging 3 or 4 for books

and there clothes could go up A bit

There is a charity Shop in Midleton in Cork and it has a nice dress still with the new tags on it
    The original Price on the dress was €255 and they are only Selling it for €20
    I think a item like that they should at least charge €60 or €70
    you are missing the point, most people buying in charity shops can not afford the 60-70 euro, the 20 euro would be a big spend for them

Most of the people that buy in Charity Shops in the cork area are Scumbag Travelers with brand new cars
    so they can sell it on for a profit

And for the Record The Point of a Charity Shop is about raising Money for the Charity not about selling stuff too Cheap

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Most of the people that buy in Charity Shops in the cork area are Scumbag Travelers with brand new cars
    so they can sell it on for a profit

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Charity shops are great for growing the good old LP collection! they serve a function for members of our community who are in an unfortunate position financially, while the money they spend is kinda recycled back into the community and those same people who need a helping hand. What i dont like is when people eg friend of employee/volunteer or the shop staff themselves get first dibs. Ive had the experience myself of offering a decent desktop PC, software, usb cable and printer etc to a charity and it ended up being 'hidden' aside twas gone in a half hour cant tell you if for money or not but it never reached the shop floor

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do St. V. de P. pay their workers or do they work for free?
    Someone told me they were paid in those shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Do St. V. de P. pay their workers or do they work for free?
    Someone told me they were paid in those shops.
    Mix of vol,ses,and the guys at the top get paid & rightly so.
    For the most part it's all voluntary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Few TUS in it aswell.

Advertisement