Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

Options
  • 05-08-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

We really need to collectively (eh? EH?) pick up the pace, guys. There's been two tracks from the forthcoming LP released thus far but there's not a whisper of it 'round these parts.

I have to confess that I never really explored MPP all too much but I've been assured countless times that it's quite the piece of work. So while I'm very familiar with other people's interpretations of AC's sound, they remain uncharted territory for me.

The release of these two latest tracks has provided the perfect entry-point and my God, I'm blown away. I thought that the standard of living was pretty pleasant under the rock, but if these are the kind of tunes that are being lavished upon the ground-dwellers then count me in.

The first tune is 'Honeycomb' (which I believe was released in conjunction with Record Store Day so I'm not sure if it'll make the album itself) and boy, is it a hoot. The flanged beat stretches and contracts like an elastic band, while slooping electronic blips whir and fizz about to colour the background canvas. This song is fun.

Next up is 'Today's Supernatural' and it's a frenetic, chaotic, glorious mess. What impresses me the most is that despite the anarchic racket that's setting into all four corners of the sound-scape, a tuneful melodic hook still manages to expose itself.

I think the album is released the day after I finish up my exams so it looks like these guys and Grizzly Bear have my post-exam soundtrack completely occupied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

They're playing Vicar Street in Oct (maybe it's Nov). That will be one show not to miss. So much good stuff coming out in the second half of the year. It's turning out to be a fantastic year for music!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Merriweather Post Pavilion" is a great record, I played it relentlessly in 2009. Since then I've found myself listening to the previous album "Strawberry Jam" a lot - its less dancey and more abrasive, but just as good as MPP. Looking forward to the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

This album is excellent'; it sounds like the flowering of some beautiful mental illness.

Doesn't seem to be much discussion about this but here goes!

It comes across as quite a frenetic and cacophanous beast, especially when compared to the more aquatic and buoyant MPP. Anyway, enough with the hyperbole; it's brilliant, and though it certainly takes time to adjust to as the songs can be quite dense, it's a rewarding listen. Highlights so far have to be the syrupy smooth melodies of 'Applesauce' and the thrilling sugar-rush that is the final minute of 'Moonjock'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i just dont get it. ive downloaded all their albums based on how high they rank on end of year lists and recommendations on here. im none the wiser.what am i missing.

i dont rate them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

I'm the same, they irritate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Same here but in fairness I have never listened to a full album.
    They do have great music but some of the other stuff goes way over my head and it becomes annoying..
    This I like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvGHQHiY70

I understand they are experimental so sometimes that aint always gonna work out.Over-rated on current evidence yeah maybe a bit.Merriweather seems to the most accessible and indeed has made a few top ten lists..any other standout songs on it?check them on utube.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Nice to hear it in decent quality at last. I have listened to it quite a bit. Really enjoying it and looking forward to seeing the songs live. Applesauce, Monkey Riches and Amanita are my favourites so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm really, really procrastinating about listening to this. I enjoyed Merriweather Post Pavilion for a while but it didn't hold up to repeated listening and I just eventually brushed it aside. I know this album is meant to be a lot different and less accessible but is it really worth listening to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

Hmm I'd give it a 7.4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Epicness wrote: »
    Hmm I'd give it a 7.4

Do you work for pitchfork?:pac:
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16980-centipede-hz/

Advertisement