Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to get to grips with HTML/CSS?

Options
  • 17-07-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have experience in C++ and Java (currently learning Ruby) and I'm getting more interested in web development lately. I know 'how long' questions are a bit vague but say I put an hour or two a night into it how long do you think it would take to come up to a decent level (decent enough to apply for junior roles in the industry).
    I know I'll also need to work on scripting (JavaScript ?) and database stuff (SQL ?) eventually but it might be too much to try juggle all of these at once!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I have experience in C++ and Java (currently learning Ruby) and I'm getting more interested in web development lately. I know 'how long' questions are a bit vague but say I put an hour or two a night into it how long do you think it would take to come up to a decent level (decent enough to apply for junior roles in the industry).
    I know I'll also need to work on scripting (JavaScript ?) and database stuff (SQL ?) eventually but it might be too much to try juggle all of these at once!

Html & Css is relatively easy and if you stick with it then you should be comfortable with it in a week or so.

Javascript & jQuery is more advanced and will take time for you to learn.

You learn by doing though - so start a project and build it from scratch yourself. Be sure to read up on best practices for HTML & CSS, as well as unobtrusive Javascript etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

John_Mc wrote: »
    Html & Css is relatively easy and if you stick with it then you should be comfortable with it in a week or so.

Javascript & jQuery is more advanced and will take time for you to learn.

You learn by doing though - so start a project and build it from scratch yourself. Be sure to read up on best practices for HTML & CSS, as well as unobtrusive Javascript etc

Depends on how junior the role is. Graduate, fine. But there's not a chance in hell I'd let someone commit code to something going into production that had a week's experience — you must be joking! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Took me about 3 months from knowing absolutely nothing about html/css/js/jq to deploying a complex enough site that worked and used all the above.
    It was an interesting learning experience... Background is spectrum 48k (yea, I'm old) assembler -> MS basic -> lisp -> QB -> VB -> VB6 -> back to assembler -> VB.net/VS -> some ASP.net -> A site that actually worked!!!!11!one! :D:D:D

It's worth doing though, really frustrating at times but also really satisfying when you get stuff to work and not cack itself on all the platforms that will use it - i.e. all the various browsers, phones, tablets, macs, optical bandages, kindles, etc.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ManannanMacLir

Thanks for the replies people! That's an interesting journey alright Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

HTML and CSS are relatively straight forward.

Took me a bit of time to get to grips with HTML as its was just the ordinary Notepad application we used in college which made it harder to learn it. Though once I took up HTML again I found it easier to learn it and its quiet simple, once you get to grips with the tags, layout, table and actual code then its grand.

Learn it and practise on paper and in notepad++ which makes coding in HTML quiet simple and easy to do. CSS is very simple and straight forward as well to get to grips with. Just understand the principle's of it both the theory and on paper, before applying it in practise and you be grand.

Practise makes perfect, you get there with it.

SQL isn't too bad, though if you have experience with C++ and Java you have no problem with Javascript and JQuery. It might be a lot to take on more than a few web programming languages but no harm taking up a few. Handy to have and self learn. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you can program, it's very easy to the basics working, laying out a basic webpage with colours etc...

Getting to an employable level of HTML & CSS is a longer process, as you learn more about dealing with browsers, taking more complex designs and being clever in structuring everything using best practices.

After that, there's larger more complex niches in topics such as: HTML5, CSS3 + animation, jQuery, AJAX, etc...

Good luck!

Advertisement