Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Banking - UCD, Trinity or England

Options
  • 01-07-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everybody I'm a newbie here on boards so sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum.

Anyway I'm going into 6th year next year and I'm trying to figure out what course I should apply to. I'm hoping to be an investment banker (preferably front office but I wouldn't turn down back office if it came my way) but I'm not sure which course would be the best for it.

As far as Irish courses go I was thinking Economics and Finance or Actuarial Science (I think the risk calculation involved might apply to investing as well) in UCD or BESS in Trinity but I'm not sure which of those would be best suited.

I was also thinking of doing Accounting and Finance in London School of Economics as I've heard many graduates find direct employment once they've finished their degree but I've no idea what Leaving Cert. results are required. All I know is you need AAA in your A-levels and I don't know how to relate that to the Leaving Cert.

If anybody has any idea what investment banks are looking for (do they prefer graduates from a school like London School of Economics or does it matter if I stay in Ireland at UCD or Trinity), are there any other good investment banking courses in England and how the Leaving Cert. is used when applying for English schools through UCAS I'd appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Maths or Physics are also good courses to consider, and are more generally applicable. You seem to want to become a trader tho, many of these guys have no qualifications :pac:

I have never seen a course in "investment banking" however. You might mean "financial operations" which a lot of american colleges offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hello There

Really? So I'm guessing you need contacts more than anything else to get into investment banking then?

I was actually considering going to America for awhile but its a bit too expensive for my liking!

Advertisement