Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medicine in different universities..?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

ok.. im new to boards so im not sure how this works..

i was wondering if there was anybody who would be able to give some insight into various medicine courses in ireland? i was at a talk by rcsi and they seemed really technologically advanced (virtual dissection, etc) and they seem to have loads of online resources. i also liked the idea that of 'system based learning' where you go through the body system by system, i just feel that its an easily relateable way of learning. anyway i was quite impressed by their little presentation and if anybody can help me with some information on medicine in various (including rcsi from the point of view of someone who isnt paid to be nice about it!) colleges that would be great!
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

tbh i don't you can go wrong with any of the dublin medical schools, RCSI, UCD and TCD are really all equally good and will afford you equal opportunities in the future.

you could look at which schools are associated with which hospitals and other training programmes to see where in the country you could be sent. but for the pre-clinical stuff, i think they're all the same. TCD might have a better reputation in the uk or usa, RCSI more well known in middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

ok.. im new to boards so im not sure how this works..

i was wondering if there was anybody who would be able to give some insight into various medicine courses in ireland? i was at a talk by rcsi and they seemed really technologically advanced (virtual dissection, etc) and they seem to have loads of online resources. i also liked the idea that of 'system based learning' where you go through the body system by system, i just feel that its an easily relateable way of learning. anyway i was quite impressed by their little presentation and if anybody can help me with some information on medicine in various (including rcsi from the point of view of someone who isnt paid to be nice about it!) colleges that would be great!
    thanks!

I reckon the course is much the same in any of the colleges, but I will say this: based on my experience, I personally wouldn't choose RCSI. Not because of any difference in the course, but because it's less of a college experience than the others. Studying medicine (like other health science courses) can be quite a bubble, socially - it's good to have a whole college full of people from different backgrounds, loads of different societies, etc, to befriend to mix it up a little. In my personal experience, the RCSI people I know can tend to be quite intense "med head" types.

Might not be something that would bother you at all but it's just a small thing I've noticed.

Trinity is definitely lacking, technologically - the school of medicine hasn't quite figured out how email works yet - but the teaching is generally great here, and they've just opened up a very shiny new biomedical sciences building, which is where all of the pre-clinical teaching is done now.

Also, apologies for the generalisations, any RCSI people reading... :)

Advertisement