Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using fictional places within real places in Fiction?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all

Just wondering has anyone invented a town or city within a real country/city/region, and what the benefits/downsides are?

Basically my story is a crime story (organised crime, drug dealing etc...) set in Dublin, but I'm not sure where in Dublin it should be set, so I'm considering using my own fake suburb/town within Dublin.

The reasons for this being that I'm not sure I could accurately and convincingly describe the real places themselves, and it may seem lame and unconvincing to those who know these areas. Basically I think it would give me more scope and be easier for me to use my own fictional town/area, but do you think this could detract from the realism? Like someone from Dublin reading it thinking 'where the hell is that?'

Thanks for any responses

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Works OK for Weatherfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Works OK for Weatherfield.
    And Barrystown.

Perhaps Roddy Doyle might be happy if you set your story there. It could, over time, become a generic location for works of fiction set in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Or you could follow the lead of Hardy's Wessex and create a whole new county!

Advertisement