Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A % question

Options
  • 09-03-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭

Hi

Struggling with this one.

I need to work out how much of a % 300k is of a total budget of 9.2 billion.

Its lower than 1% but I cant work it out :/

Any help

Thanks
    Mr Bollix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

afatbollix wrote: »
    Hi

Struggling with this one.

I need to work out how much of a % 300k is of a total budget of 9.2 billion.

Its lower than 1% but I cant work it out :/

Any help

Thanks
    Mr Bollix
    On a scientific calculator you just have to express the numbers in scientific notation: a K = 10^3, a billion is 10^9. Then you say 300x10^3 ÷ 9.2 x 10^9. That gives you the ratio, multiply that by 100 to give you a %age.

Or if you have a plain calculator or are doing it by hand: express the numbers in equal powers of ten:
    300k = 300 x 10^3 = 0.3 x 10^6
    9.2B = 9.2 x 10^9 = 9200 x 10^6
    Now you can just say 0.3 ÷ 9200, then x 100 for a %age. (Or use the calculator % key if you have one.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Cheers mate I got 0.003 as my final answer which sounds about right

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Not sure how much precision you need in the answer, but 0.00326 would be a more accurante value - see here (the 'e' symbol is short hand for 'exponential' and it just means "multiply by ten to the power of").

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm so used to using software that I just threw in "^" meaning "to the power of" without explaining that. Programs like Excel also use "*" and "/" instead of "×" and "÷" , because there are no "×" and "÷" keys on the keyboard. So "e" is short for "*10^". :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement