Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Eircom Engineers help on this one? Broadband.

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am currently using Airwire to provide me with broadband. However my next door neighbor can get Eircom's version. Two doors the other way they have it. Just me and the neighbor the other one side of me cannot get Eitcom Broadband. I can accept this, however can anyone explain WHY , technically I can't get it. The phone line was connected once we moved in. It's a 3 year old house, in a rural setting. Is it just that the local exchange doesn't have enough slots or something ! Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dianehyde

Hi
    I too live in Rural setting and all my neighbours except one can get regular broadband, However I was the last house to be built on the cul de sac 7 years ago.
    I believe that at the time rather than running another line down the road they split the phone line with a neighbour. Neither of our lines can now support any decent bb. Eircom told me that I am not entitled to bb only entitled to a phone line. I can receive UP TO 1mb if I want on my line. They also call it an amber line.
    I dont know if this is the same situation as you have but it does sound very like it. 7 years down the line there is still no sign of an upgrade.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

thanks for the reply, as far as I understand it, normal households are supplied with a 'twisted pair' cable which can actually carry 2 phone lines. So because so many houses sprang up so quickly, Eircom used this feature to split the twisted pair between residences. However if you want broadband, you need a both parts of the 'pair' one for your telephone and one for the BB. You, like myself , probably only have a single line in . I could go and get a dongle, but Airwire is a pretty good service and has no DL limit. I'll stick with it as it's a lot better than dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭tphase

you broadband signal runs over the same pair, different frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Zantergog wrote: »
    I am currently using Airwire to provide me with broadband. However my next door neighbor can get Eircom's version. Two doors the other way they have it. Just me and the neighbor the other one side of me cannot get Eitcom Broadband. I can accept this, however can anyone explain WHY , technically I can't get it. The phone line was connected once we moved in. It's a 3 year old house, in a rural setting. Is it just that the local exchange doesn't have enough slots or something ! Thanks in advance

I got this from Eircom when I rang them. There customer service and technical department are the least technical and mindless I've every come across. If both your neighbours have it, your connected to the same local switch and they simply run a line check. This has a problem with local 1MB lines and fails.

Its quiet obvious you can get it since the other have it, ignore the bulls**t your told about your line is not upgraded, its not like your neighbours got there line upgraded and you did'nt. Anyways, had to get local TD's involved for someone to listen to cop on and make the connection. best of luck with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Even if I could get Eircom (which I cant) I wouldnt use them. Im using www.lightnet.ie for the past 5 years. 2MB up and down and no issues. I use VOIP for calls and its 35 per month. Suits me fine

• Advertisement

It sounds like your line was split. I don't think Eircom will admit that this is the problem.

My parents house was like that for a long time (line installed around 1990). All of our neighbours were able to get broadband.

I spotted an engineer up the pole one day working away and we were able to get broadband a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Post on the Talk to:eircom forum to see if they'll sort it out for you.

If you're on a pairgain and the line test gives you an amber result, you may actually get the full 8 mb/s once the pairgain is removed. The pairgain stops broadband completely, but when it's gone the speed is dependent on the length of the line. If you're close to the exchange and the pairgain is removed, you could get 7 or 8 megs but if you live 4 miles from the exchange, you'll get the 1 mb/s when the pairgain is removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Zantergog wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, as far as I understand it, normal households are supplied with a 'twisted pair' cable which can actually carry 2 phone lines. So because so many houses sprang up so quickly, Eircom used this feature to split the twisted pair between residences.

Not completely accurate, but not a million miles away.

Your phoneline only uses a narrow frequency range compared to what the line is capable of, so a box at either end of a line can "upstep" (via multiplexing) the other line.

Broadband, however, needs the full frequency range of the line.

Of course, what should have been done was that if you only have "half" a line you should only have half the line rental, but that would be too fair-minded.

Advertisement