Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended Sentences

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Whats the point of a suspended sentence?

Ive noticed lately that a number of fraud/theft cases have resulted in the above. in one case where €170000 was defrauded from their employee the judge couldnt see what benefit could accure from a jail sentence.

If all i face if im caught is a suspended sentence surely thats sending a message that its worth my while committing a crime.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

A suspended sentence is for low risk offenders, say you get a 12 month suspended sentence, you walk out a free man but if you so much as look at someone the wrong way your going to jail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

A suspended sentence is for low risk offenders, say you get a 12 month suspended sentence, you walk out a free man but if you so much as look at someone the wrong way your going to jail
    if you get caught. it still means you can offend in the knowledge that there wont be any reprecussions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

A major factor in that case ostensibly that the stolen money will be paid back. The guy has a condition for a criminal offence of dishonesty. He has lost his job and been disgraced. Putting him in jail could well result in some violent offender being released early. Who would you prefer to sit beside on the bus? A crazed rapist or a harmless middle aged pensioner?

A major factor in that case ostensibly that the stolen money will be paid back. The guy has a condition for a criminal offence of dishonesty. He has lost his job and been disgraced. Putting him in jail could well result in some violent offender being released early. Who would you prefer to sit beside on the bus? A crazed rapist or a harmless middle aged pensioner?
    surely we should make enough space for both. but surely the biggest anomoly in the legal system is the bail laws as offences commited while on bail are usually lumped in with the original crime and the offenders dont receive any extra time sure thats a license to commit crime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

But hes not harmless, had that being a small business instead of the govt he could have closed it down with the resulting hardship for all the owners and other employees.

hes paying it back because he was caught, no other reason.

If we dont hve enough jail places then proper community service for a long time should be the order.

We need a deterrent, at the moment all we have is a slap on the wrist -dont do it again mentality from the judicary. where is the punishment for the crime? losing your job but keeping your great pension? if you are late every day you lose your job, i think that stealing €170k is slightly worse than that , yet he effectively gets off scott free.

we need proper sentencing that will make people think twice about committing a crime. At the moment the two incidents this week would make people think about actually committing a crime because the downside is minimal.

• Advertisement

By harmless i mean his current disposition to cause harm
    in terms of meriting leniency he ticked all of the boxes.
    First offence.
    Early admission of guilt.
    Co operation with investigation.
    Victim repaid.
    Extremely low likelihood of re-offending.

The judge can't make more prison spaces.

How many Civil Servants are now going to fiddle as a result of this? The same ner as if the guy got 20 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

if you get caught. it still means you can offend in the knowledge that there wont be any reprecussions

you mean other than the activation of your custodial term?

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    you mean other than the activation of your custodial term?
    try reading the whole thing next time

try reading the whole thing next time

I did. You said a person could offend without worrying about the consequences. Not only do they have to worry about their suspended sentence being activated but also the addition of any time for their new crime,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Last bit is wrong, You could be still on a suspended sentence for a serious crime like Assault but if you got arrested for a relatively minor offence like Abusive Threatening and Insulting Behaviour you will still go to court and be sentenced for that offence, Its up to the judge what to do with the suspended sentence..

People can be sentenced to, say 4 Years with 2 suspended for 2 Yrs on completion of sentence so therefore he has to do 2 Yrs inside which will be 1 Yr and 6 months with Remission and then the remaining 2Yr suspended will be in effect for 2 Yrs.

• Advertisement

So would it be fair to say that seeing as i have a clean slate, it would be worth my while to defraud / steal from my employer/insurance co/state up to €200k secure in the knowledge that i will get away with it????

And thats only if i get caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Shelflife wrote: »
    So would it be fair to say that seeing as i have a clean slate, it would be worth my while to defraud / steal from my employer/insurance co/state up to €200k secure in the knowledge that i will get away with it????

How would you explain the criminal record though? That is basically a life sentance when it comes to the possibility of getting a job in the future. I would be FAR more worried about that then a paltry 12-24 month sentance.

Shelflife wrote: »

Only if you are in a position to pay back The money if caught. There is no way of knowing when it might be discovered. You are also running the risk that the judge you come before might see things differently.

Naikon wrote: »
    How would you explain the criminal record though? That is basically a life sentance when it comes to the possibility of getting a job in the future. I would be FAR more worried about that then a paltry 12-24 month sentance.

true but apart from the stigma attached there is no penalty attached to the crime in these cases, its still effectively a slap on the wrists.

There seems to be no deterrent to crime in this country, we seriously need to up our punishments handed out to criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

A suspended sentence is a joke

The old suspended sentence was no joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

The old suspended sentence was no joke.
    lol could be hardc to laugh....;)

Resend wrote: »
    A suspended sentence is a joke

Not really. For a first time offender with a low chance of reoffending it provides incentive to stay on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

surely we should make enough space for both. but surely the biggest anomoly in the legal system is the bail laws as offences commited while on bail are usually lumped in with the original crime and the offenders dont receive any extra time sure thats a license to commit crime

Not true. The judge must impose consecutive sentences (i.e. one on top of the other) if a further offence is committed while on bail. This is provided for by statute and the judge has no discretion.

Advertisement