Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge trimming

Options
  • 04-05-2011 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

I was disappointed to say the least to see that my Landlord had trimmed the hedges around the property in my absence.

I am aware of several nesting sites and indeed one of them (Blackbird) is now quite exposed containing about 5 chicks. At least the adults haven't abandoned the nest. Can't be so sure for the other sites though.

I informed him that I was unhappy. He was surprised and thought damage was only done by tractor driven machinery. The law states uncultivated hedgerow so no breach of the law apparently.

Discussion and act quoted here: -
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1361.html

At the very least he is now aware :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Afraid a lot of people are ignorant of the need to leave hedges alone during nesting season:(

I cut back my hedges before there was any nesting activity, but I didn't get rid of the huge pile of clippings on time. Now there's a wrens nest underneath it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

ya the esb came out in the middle of april to cut down trees/hedging around their cables.

collared doves were nesting there somewhere and nest was destroyed i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

trebor28 wrote: »
    ya the esb came out in the middle of april to cut down trees/hedging around their cables.

collared doves were nesting there somewhere and nest was destroyed i think.

ESB Networks have to cut hedges and trees for safety. I know for a fact that they adhere to the regulations for general work but they have to carry out other work on safety grounds. They are actually one of the more environmentally aware of out large corporate bodies.

As for the OP: Cutting garden hedges manually does not pose much risk to nesting birds. More nest are abandoned because of Cats in the vacinity or other predators than as a result of a single light pass of an electric hedge trimmer. I have nests in my hegdes and birds fly from them everytime I pass cutting the lawn or when children play ball nearby but they don't abandon the nests.

The real problem is hacking into uncultivated hedgerows at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Fair point.

On the cat thing - there are 2 in here every night. I've spotted the little blighters on the cameras.

Advertisement