Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving with a cat

Options
  • 11-02-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

First off it's not my cat, but my brothers and his girlfriends(mainly my brothers) They're moving into a new house in less than a months time.

This cat doesn't seem to like change at all. At christmas he freaked out because my brother brought in a tree. He wouldn't go near it. I brought over my kitten and again he freaked out and later, when the kitten was gone went to the toilet on the couch. He is in no way litter trained when I was cat sitting him during holloween I got one for him because I didn't want to let him out(children can be a bit cruel to cats around the area, and on holloween I wouldn't be able to sleep with worry for him) He just didn't get what the litter tray was for. I put it in the area he went in. I put scraps on the newspaper he peed on in it and when he did a poo my brother put it in the litter tray for a while but he didn't pay it one bit of attention. My cat Oscar who thought the litter tray was a bed at first and that the sink was for going to the toilet learned from my other cat (who he watched going one day, I could see the cogs turning in Oscars head when he realised what it was really for, never saw a cat looking so shocked:rolleyes:) but my brothers cat really doesn't like any change including any new cats.

We don't know how he's going to cope with a house move. He won't use a litter tray so I really don't know what should be done. They don't think they'll be able to keep him inside for very long and it's not really possible or affordable(big garden, not fully secure and my brother is having difficulty even affording things like fridges for the house) to cat proof the garden.

Has anyone any suggestions that I can pass on, what can be done with a cat how hates change and can't use the littertray when moving house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Hi, ALL cats hate change believe me. Advise them to keep him inside for a couple of weeks if possible. He will learn to use the litter, especially if they start off keeping him in just one room, and gradually let him around the house. If they let him out too soon he may take off, he needs to learn that the new place is home.

About the visiting kitten - I don't think there are many cats out there who would appreciate that either. I tried the same thing when I was a kid, brought my kitten over to 'play' with my sisters cat. It wasn't pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

planetX wrote: »
    Hi, ALL cats hate change believe me. Advise them to keep him inside for a couple of weeks if possible. He will learn to use the litter, especially if they start off keeping him in just one room, and gradually let him around the house. If they let him out too soon he may take off, he needs to learn that the new place is home.

About the visiting kitten - I don't think there are many cats out there who would appreciate that either. I tried the same thing when I was a kid, brought my kitten over to 'play' with my sisters cat. It wasn't pretty.

We've already tested these things, were they're living now and when I say he doesn't like change, his feelings towards it is quite a bit more exagerated than any cat I've had.

Also the bit with the kitten, I was thinking that if Oscar learned to use the litter tray because of another cat then maybe my brothers cat too. I had to rule out bringing Oscar(they would only fight) another cat has feline herpes my brother wouldn't be too pleased with a snotty cat around his place(any bit of stress and it all comes out her nose) then there was the mammy cat, couldn't risk that since she wasn't neutered (they were smoking at the time so windows may be open) it only left the kitten, to be honest I didn't have much hope in it.

If anything upsets this cat he shows it by peeing or pooing somewhere around the house, and not sheltered areas, places like on top of the bed and couch.

I have mentioned confining it to one room (bathroom, they're easiest to clean) but they're not very sure about this, so far it seems like the best option.

Again this cat hates change more than most cats and he shows this by pooing or peeing in clear to see places or sometimes going on an extra long wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Definitely try and confine the cat to one room to start, kitchen maybe?
    Then place a litter tray in each room as you expand the territory, you may end up with a tray in every room and one for the hall too, but hopefully it'll save your brothers carpets.
    You can get those plug in scent things for cats, valerian root and catnip also are said to calm cats, it would be worth experimenting before the move to try and get him relaxed before the move.
    Have everything moved and settled before you move the cat, make sure there are some familiar things for him.
    And confine him for between 3 and 6 weeks, depending on how quick he settles.

As far as him not liking the litter tray goes, if they have the option of going outside they will, but if they don't they will use it. It takes time, I have a cat that hates the litter tray but he will use it when there's no other option.

The peeing and pooping after the kitten visited may have just been him saying this is my house, after the intruder left. Always clean up with biological washing powder it eliminates all traces.

One thing your brother could do is build a run outside a window, doesn't need to be big, just a frame of scrap timber and cover with chicken wire, fix it to the wall of the house. Can help with the transition to going outside(let him get used to new smells etc), and keep cat safe.

Best of luck, will be facing this myself soon, and have one very nervous cat and one houdini of a cat, not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

mymo wrote: »
    You can get those plug in scent things for cats, valerian root and catnip also are said to calm cats, it would be worth experimenting before the move to try and get him relaxed before the move.

I had to laugh at the catnip thing tried him on that and he ran away freaked out:rolleyes: Wouldn't come near me for months after. He's the worst cat for anything he's not familiar with. He only really likes my brother, anyone else in his view is just there to feed him. None of the furniture is being moved but there's a few blankets and throws(that he sleeps on) that are, hopefully that will be enough. He also will end up with lots of boxes which he loves.

Might have a look at those plug in ones, I think there expensive, I might buy it as a house warming present for the cat (I was thinking about getting him a scratching post:o)

With the pooing thing, he didn't just do it because of the kitten there were a few other 'accedents'

It may happen that my brother will have to move out of his place now before the house is ready so I might have another cat to mind as well as two people for a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

A friend had her cat pooing all over the house and not in the litter trays until she got her hands on drops are called swifty, at maxi zoo, douglas and putting them in the litter trays stopped him pooing all over.
    Re the felliway plug ins thingys i have seen them advertised on amazon for about 18/20 pounds so googling them esp if they cost a lot more here. I just mention amazon as we sometimes get stuff from them and they havent stuffed up yet. there are other sites too for felliway when i googled.
    Also yes confine kitty to one room either the bathroom or a utility room or even spare bedroom and lots of treats and sitting with time and def dont let it outside for min 3 weeks as otherwise it might run off.
    regards
    BC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If the cat is very attached to your brother get him to sleep on some blankets, or wear some old clothes, then put them in a place for the cat.
    That would be a reassuring scent for him.

Re the catnip: one of mine had the same reaction:D thought it was supposed to make them happy, not freak out and run. But apparently it only works on a percentage of cats. Same with the valerian, which you can buy in health shops, just look up the safe amount for a cat online. There's also rescue remedy for animals, again search online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm moving soon as well, my cats HATE it - they're going to be very upset for quite a while afterwards. This is my plan, some of it might help your brother too....
    The cats will be almost the last to move, I'll keep them in another part of the house while furniture is being moved as that really upsets them. They won't come to the new house till everything's moved in.
    All their bedding will be brought in its present dirty(ish) state - ie not washed, so everything will smell right.
    They'll start off confined to the kitchen, then get the run of the house - driving me crazy by trying to escape for at least a week. House will be kept very calm, no painting, rearranging or cleaning (haha) for a while.
    When I start to let them out I'll stay out with them at first, and not feed them until they're back inside.
    They'll be wearing collars with ID tags on, and any neighbours I meet will hear about my young childs adored cats (dropped into the conversation:)), so people will know whose pets they are, and hopefully be nicer to them.

Catnip? No way. One cat of mine goes mental on it, definitely not calming. The other cat disapproves of drug use and won't touch it.

Advertisement