Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Advice..."i have used search!"

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi guys, im starting out in the world of cycling, I know nothing what so ever, except a bike has a saddle, peddles and two wheels. I would love to get into the cycling habit for fitness reasons. A felt F95 has been touted to me as my first bike. At €840 its a lot of money to spend and to say in a months time, damn I should have picked ?????.... Thanks in advice for any opinions or valuable insight!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you go second hand and it doesn't work out, you could sell the bike on again with little/ no cost or even profit. There's also no shortage of guys here to help you with everything :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can you get some pics of the bike and load them up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pedals.

Also...

tumblr_leviptGyyB1qdx6cno1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1296954923&Signature=gCfWY%2Bq%2BvQ06fnIjSIXemCURJm8%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

^^^^^^^^^^^^ deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

http://www.trizone.ie/index.php/best-selling-products/felt-f95.html

there she blows...

its that lunacy green party plan of cycling to work.. so iv a grand to blow!!!!... and will!! just dont want to be screwed for being a newbie with a k goin towards a bike..

• Advertisement

How tall are you?

Cube 2010 Streamer Road Bike From €979.83
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44405

Shimano groupsets:
    2300<Sora<Tiagra<105<Ultegra<Dura Ace<Di2

Personally, for a grand I'd be looking for something with a carbon fork and at least Tiagra.

my limit is 800.. Ill be honest if the incentive wasnt there I doubt Id fork out that much for a bike, I know Im probably a miser, but anyway.... :D

my limit is 800.. Ill be honest if the incentive wasnt there I doubt Id fork out that much for a bike, I know Im probably a miser, but anyway.... :D

You just wrote that you have a "grand to blow". :confused:

newbie.. i need gear im sure.. the old tri stripe addidas wouldnt look the part!! :D

so all in it will be a k.. apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

FWIW............having been there not too long ago

Buy with one eye on the resale potential: you'll either love the game and want to upgrade within 12 months, or you'll hate it and want to bail by the time winter comes......either way, there's little point in buying something that is hard to shift on. You cannot go far wrong with entry level models from Specialized (Secteur or Allez models), Trek (1.2), Giant Defy 4, 3,5 etc) and in that order, IMO. Avoid Halfords bikes (except the Boardman range).

You dont say whether your employer has an 'open' policy when it comes to the supplier - some restrict you to go to a very limited number (1 !) provider under the scheme. This may be a factor in your choice.

Dont rush into a purchase in the next few days, research and come back on here with specific queries. Plan to be riding in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Entry level boardman is on sale and good value imo.Tiagra shifters are so much nicer than the levels below and its worth stretching the budget to get them.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_501991_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

Its an old chestnut on here but I think its worth blowing most of the budget on the bike. You can pick up the gear as you go along and its usually much cheaper online anyway.Bike shops make a lot of their new bike margin on overpriced accessories.

e2a. Just had a look at that Felt f95. Spec seems not great for money to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

What restrictions have you with your employer under the CTW scheme i.e. do you have to buy from a specific shop or list of shops?

That Felt is poor spec for the money. The Cube Lumen mentioned is very good spec if a 58 fits. I would want at least 105 groupset on a 800-1000 euro bike, but I'm greedy.

Is a good bike safe in your workplace? Lot of 1k CTW bikes are getting stolen!

@Lumen - that bike has no rear hub, what are the spokes connected to?

Hmmmm.. im concerned about the concern about the spec/cost issue raised...

http://www.kearneycycles.com/galway-bicycles-details.php?act=viewProd&productId=612

What do ye think of this baby???....

What do ye think of this baby???....

Not a lot. 2300 is pretty much the bottom of the pile, adequate but basic, You should be able to get a bike for under €500 with 2300. Sora is better, Tiagra better still, then the big jump up to 105, which can mix it with the big boys. Spend the grand on the bike, pick up the gear on the cheap later.

ok Paul.. Hit me with the truth about the F95 (even the team edition :cool:)

ok Paul.. Hit me with the truth about the F95 (even the team edition :cool:)

TBH, I'm a bit puzzled. The website you link to for the F95 shows a picture with Tiagra shifters and gives a very vague description. Likewise the Felt website is very vague but it's picture shows Sora (or lower?) shifters. There's a bit here about the F95 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66618560. I would certainly prefer Tiagra shifters.

The Boardman Papac referenced is good value and it might be possible to get a further 15% off the listed price with Axa discount.

You haven't said what restrictions you have on where/how you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Here's the Felt F95 from the Evans website. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/f95-2011-road-bike-ec024150 Microshift shifters.

At the price the Boardman from Halfords is hard to beat.

ok, I might not have said before but i have never owned a bike more expensive than €200.. one id use once in a blue moon.. shifters mean absolutely nothing to me im afraid, im a complete novice. As regards limitations take it that there are none. bar the €1000. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

+1 on the boardman

I'm only a novice as well but had the same thoughts as you, i was thinking felt f95, trek 1.2, giant defy 4.0, lapierre 200, and few others around €700 mark.

The more i looked into them and compared them the more the boardman comp stood out as it seemed to be overspec'd versus all the other bikes in the price bracket.
    Things like Tiagra as stated below, plus upgraded 105 rear derailleur, ritcher finishing kit and the weight of just under 9kg convinced me in the end.

There's a good review of the Boardman here.

There are quite a few other bikes out there that are excellent value e.g. the one Lumen linked to earlier is a screaming bargain though only one size. This other Cube is bang in your price range with 105 groupset but again only in 58cm. What height are you?

• Advertisement

5' 10" SOBER....

I'd say the 58cm Cube would fit you. I think they have a sizing guide somewhere but I couldn't find it! You might be a 56cm but there's only half an inch difference in the top tube between the two. If you're in Dublin you could pop down to Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght and try one out:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

the felt is too pricy, although i think its cheaper from eurocycles at 750. boardman is far better bang for your buck and is what i would go for with your budget. I have a felt f95 (albeit the older, nicer one!!) and all, but had to upgrade the groupset as it was sh1te, and the set on the newer one is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Ryath

Halfords have 20% of online prices the Boardman Comp is €720 it really is about the minumum spec you would really would be happy with if you get into cycling at all.
    The Boardman team is €899 and really is some value for money has 10 speed SRAM rival which is just so much better than the 9speed Tiagra on the Comp. Has slightly better cranks and brakes aswell but the shfters are the big difference.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_501985_langId_-1_categoryId_212536#dtab

It really is worth the extra money long term you'll have less need to upgrade it.

Personally I'm not mad about the paintjobs of the lower end boardmans and buying in halfords. If you can buy online with your company on the bike to work I'd be looking at these
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2103

€899 with SRAM apex or for €999 Shimano 105 delivery is about €55
    I'd go with SRAM you may feel the need to change the front chainring when you get a bit fitter though as it is a 48. Thats only a €20 part though.
    They look much nicer than the boardmans and are a slightly better bike. The Mavic akisum wheels alone probably worth it and you get the groupset all round ie brakes and crankset are also SRAM or Shimano.
    Don't know the weights of the boardmans but the the canyons are at least half a kilo lighter if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

I have an F95. Bought it last year and immediately upgraded the mechs to Ultegra and the shifters to new 105.

I'm really happy with it. I know the frame isn't carbon but I really like it. The Garmin colour scheme is pretty cool too, esentailly it's a black bike with a few blue bits.... stealthy...

The downsides are; it wasn't cheap to upgrade the gears and I am always on the lookout for a second hand Ultegra chainset. I am also always looking for a decent pair of wheels... so to summarise... I love my current set up, but I kinda regret not spending a few extra hundred euro's on a better spec'd bike...

I gave up on the F 95!!! I committed to a trek 1.2!!! thanks guys for your input!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmacg

All of the big manufacturers make entry level bikes. The very cheapest will have aliminium frames and forks, the next ones up with have alu frames, but carbon fibre forks.
    As for the gear, most will have shimano of one sort or another. Shimano produce different quality sets, and in ascending order of quality, (and price), they are; 2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace. For the money you're spending you should be getting Tiagra, (if very lucky; 105). You won't notice much difference in quality with the Sora, but Tiagra use the same style of shifters as the more expensive sets, so it'll feel more natural when you move up, as you inevitably will.
    Try to get above an eight speed cassette if you can, (certainly not less). You probably won't get a 10 speed for that money, but try for a nine.
    Finally, try to get a bike with an external-bearing bottom bracket if you can. They're easy to spot because of the BB 'cups' that sit outside each side of the bottom bracket shell.
    You have three options:
    1. Buy a new entry level bike, look after it, and trade it in for a better model when you decide you want to move up.
    2. Buy a bike with the best frame you can get, then upgrade the equipment on it over time.
    3. Buy a second hand bike, use it till you get the feel for things, then use the bike to work scheme to get a better bike when the time is right.
    My preference would be for the last. You'll get a better bike for your money, and if you're buying from a reputable bike shop they should look after you.
    You can only use the bike to work scheme once every five years, so I wouldn't use it to buy my first bike. Wait till you're ready to get a really good one, you'll make far greater savings.
    Happy cycling.

Advertisement