Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 routers, 1 DSL connection, does it work?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

If I split my DSL line and connect it to two routers on my home network will I be able to get internet connectivity on both?

Having loads of problems with dropped connections that I can't get to the bottom of (even changed router) and this will help me get closer to the cause while keeping me connected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You're restricted to using a single router with the connection. Any luck contacting your provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

ethernet wrote: »
    You're restricted to using a single router with the connection. Any luck contacting your provider?

Tried my ISP but they weren't able to help. I did get a new router (same brand) but have the same problem. At this point I'm sure its a config issue on my side but its just taking ages to try and narrow it down.

The symptons are that I lose or cant get LAN connections sometimes. Less frequently the router seems to re boot itself. Today I couldn't get a LAN connection to the Xbox but once I took out all other LAN connections it worked - even though the last disconnect from the LAN was for a piece of hardware that I have configured with a static IP outside my DHCP range. Xbox is configured for DHCP.

Based on my investigatations to date I think it may be a cabelling problem and am waiting to get my crimper back off a friend to try and redo these.

UPDATE: As I'm writing this the Xbox is now losing its LIVE connection. It will sign on again but keeps losing the Live connection. The only way to remedy this for a while is to plug out its LAN connection from the router and then it will connect for a long period of time. It works fine if I use the Wireless Adapter but then I don't get the same video quality with Sky Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is the router well ventilated? Wouldn't be keen on seeing it rebooting itself like that.

A cable tester would be great to see if it's the LAN cable. Might be worth getting one cheaply off eBay. Extra marks for having crimped your own though :) Have you tried using another cable? Even if it's short, bring the Xbox to the router to at least rule out a bad crimp for definite.

You're right to use the LAN cable for the better quality. Wireless just doesn't cut it.

I put new connections on the cable but still not working. Its does look like the cable has been joined somewhere in the attic (different cable types at both ends) so I have ordered a cable tester and hopefully that will help to fix it.
    As a last resort I will run a new cable... at least I know its the cable now.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You can split a dsl in a way with high end routers. Technically your not splitting it but actually setting up two different networks that can not see each other and have different IPs.

To me your problem sounds like one of three things.

Your provider is trying to give you DSL that your coper can not handle. This will result in dropped packets and disconnections

Your DSL is not filtered right or may have a faulty filter and maybe a sky box or alarm is attempting a dial out connection and dropping your dsl

You have badly connected cables or have a second switch which is causing loop problems

Can you tell me more about your set up? who is the provider, what is the brand of router etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

FusionNet wrote: »
    You can split a dsl in a way with high end routers. Technically your not splitting it but actually setting up two different networks that can not see each other and have different IPs.

Your provider is trying to give you DSL that your coper can not handle. This will result in dropped packets and disconnections

Your DSL is not filtered right or may have a faulty filter and maybe a sky box or alarm is attempting a dial out connection and dropping your dsl

You have badly connected cables or have a second switch which is causing loop problems

Can you tell me more about your set up? who is the provider, what is the brand of router etc...

I would be going with the copper. Sounds like the signal is crap on the line, I had the problem before, connection fine, then dropped, slow. Checked the cable, and was nackered. Ideally it best if you locate the router as close too the Wallplate!

As for the two routers using one DSL connection. My understanding is it only one digital subscriber line for one router, you would need to subscribe to another for another router. IE one package per router.

You can use one router plugged into another one. And use different addressing schemes for both. Bit pointless since they will both be sharing the same line and WAN address. (unless the router is highend and good connection!)

Hope this helps!

FusionNet wrote: »

Irish BroadBand is the provider. 6Mb down/500Kb up.

I'm using a Zyxel router P-660-HW-T1 V2. Wired up to the router I have 4 different pieces of hardware, Xbox & PC's (One is configured to be accessible over the internet). Wireless, I have an xbox (2nd one), printer (mostly turned off), and PC's.

My house has solid walls which isn't great for Wireless so I try and wire up as much as I can.

I have had lots of problems over the past few months with dropped LAN connections and I think when this happens it sometimes brings down the router. Yesterday when I was re crimping one of my LAN cables (what I think is the culprit) the router hung when I plugged in the cable.

As I couldn't get a LAN connection over this cable working (and its a different cable at both ends :confused:) I'm in the process of running a new cable (spent most of yesterday trying to get at it) and I just need to buy a connector to connect up 2 RJ45's for the new cable. Hopefully when this is done my network problems will be solved.

Anyway I'm jinxed, I always end up some type of obscure problem when it comes to net connectivity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I think I may have a similar problem. What routers do you have? Why two routers? More ports or more wireless connection?

If its a wireless issue could a bigger, better router fix it?
    If its more ports could 1 router and a switch get around this?

(Not really suggestions ^^, more questions)

Problem solved... so far anyway. Connected up the new cable yesterday and everything is working as it should. Not more dropped connections.

What is really strange is that the cable I replaced did work 100% for a long time and then started to work intermittently. The only reason I can think of for this is that the old cable is pinched somewhere along the way to the router.

I picked up an RJ45 connector in a computer shop yesterday, cost €6. Since bought five online for less delivered in case I need one again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Dazzy wrote: »
    Problem solved... so far anyway. Connected up the new cable yesterday and everything is working as it should. Not more dropped connections.

What is really strange is that the cable I replaced did work 100% for a long time and then started to work intermittently. The only reason I can think of for this is that the old cable is pinched somewhere along the way to the router.

I picked up an RJ45 connector in a computer shop yesterday, cost €6. Since bought five online for less delivered in case I need one again.

€6 For a RJ45 ? NAME & SHAME.. Oh my..

Its the connector to join two ethernet cables using their RJ45 connections. While I think its mad money its probably the same everywhere else. Its was Micro Pro Computers in Rathfarnham.

I've since bought 5 from Deal Extreme for $5.60 delivered.

The actual RJ45's I have I bought from B & Q. There was about 100 in the packet and while I dont remember the actual price I remember is was reasonable, prob less than €10.

Advertisement