Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 VW Passat

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

Looking at a few 2004 diesel Passats for approx €6,500 with about 80,000 miles on the clock. Just wondering what they are like reliability wise and if it would be a good buy. Doing about 15k-20k mls per year.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There's neen a few threads about that model Passat. It's the 200-2004 one?

I drive a 2003 and I'm pretty happy with it. You know they come in different power outputs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

It's the 00-04 model alright. Just wondering if people think it's the best buy for that kind of money and any other general comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I have a 04 TDI sport.
    I had to replace the gearbox at 64,000 miles. (6-speed)
    I have curently 92k on the clock (maybe 93k) and the cv joints have to be replaced.
    The front shocks collapsed on me and now the rear shocks are fcuked. This could be to the fact that its a sport and have different shocks - but anyway, I would put that down to ware and tear.
    I would also put the cv joints down to ware and tear - I knew this was an issue when I bought the car. No big deal.
    However the Gearbox was a big deal, but you should have no issue with a 5 speeder.
    The different trim levels (Comfortline and Highline) will have lots of goodies. Go for the Highline with a 5 speed box. Get the 130bhp engine.
    Those are well known issues - there are some more also like the water leaking into the cabin - this can cause major headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There've been tons in my family and I have one at the moment. I've had other similar VAG cars too.

IMHO, all things considered, they're very good cars and are inherently good value compared to other cars in it's class. Very strong, safe, properly engineered and sturdy etc. with comfort and refinement built-in. There isn't a huge difference in living with these cars and living with the likes of a C-class merc. The spec will usually let them down. Try to get as many toys as possible. They make more sense, the more spec they have (don't be fooled by the "comfortline" tag, btw).

They aren't without faults though and when the go wrong it usually isn't cheap. I don't believe they're known for any serious faults though. They usually command a premium compared to 'lesser' cars, especially the TDis. Get one with FSH from a good source with a warranty and you won't be too far off the mark.

In a nutshell, if you won't bawk at the thought of spending a few quid over to repair and maintain your car, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

nogoodnamesleft made a small but accurate list of the things to look out for on the Passat.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63284453#post63284453

Known turbo issues on 01 -03
    Electric window regulators

Passat (I drive a highline myself)

Electric window regulators go
    Coolant temperature sender goes
    Rear boot actuator goes
    C.V. joints and boots
    Top Arms on the Wishbones
    Where was it serviced? (serviced with spec correct oil?) Pollen filter often get over looked even @ main dealer
    Water inside the passenger side of the car due to debris in the phelumn chamber blocking car drains. CCU (Convienence Control Unit) gets wet v v expensive to put right.

I replied to it on the following page. But to be honest, it's a pretty small non-serous list for things that seem to go wrong with them. You would want to be pretty unlucky to see all of them things or even a few of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement