Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

combined maternity care checkup changes???

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Mrs.Scruff is in her 37th week and went to see the midwife as prearranged as part of her combined care with the coombe. She had to go a different clinic from the one she normally goes to as the regular one was booked up. She was told by the midwife there to only go the gp in a fortnight and to the hospital a fortnight later -this will be a day after she is due! She said that she thought she was supposed to alternate between clinic/hospital and doctor every week from week 36 on but she was just told by the midwife that it had changed, no further explanation was given.
    We're a bit confused now, all the documentation we have supports what mrs.Scruff said. Has anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Scruff wrote: »
    Mrs.Scruff is in her 37th week and went to see the midwife as prearranged as part of her combined care with the coombe. She had to go a different clinic from the one she normally goes to as the regular one was booked up. She was told by the midwife there to only go the gp in a fortnight and to the hospital a fortnight later -this will be a day after she is due! She said that she thought she was supposed to alternate between clinic/hospital and doctor every week from week 36 on but she was just told by the midwife that it had changed, no further explanation was given.
    We're a bit confused now, all the documentation we have supports what mrs.Scruff said. Has anyone else heard anything?

god i hope not :eek:... i'm 35 weeks i've an appt in the hos in 2 weeks and was with my gp yesterday.. she assumes she'll see me in 3 weeks...when i'm 38 weeks...i'd ring the appointments dept just to make sure ..it's usually fortnightly to 38 weeks and then weekly to 42 weeks or birth whichever comes first..
    haven't heard any different..but check it out i'd be interested to know myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm 40 weeks and have been on combined care in the Rotunda. I been alternating between my gp and the midwife every two weeks ( its been a very normal pregnancy ).

My last appointment with the hospital was on monday gone ( my due date ) where I got to see a doctor. Up until that point I had never seen a doctor in the hosptial and the only reason they wanted to change that on monday was because they were going to see if they could get my labour started ( didnt work :mad: )

I think its pretty normal that in your last few weeks the doctors in the hospital will more or less take over, perhaps it depends on the gp but I know mine wasnt great with feeling the position of the baby or making judgements on my blood pressure and felt happier letting the more experienced hospital docs do all that just in case.

Its been a bit of a pain having to hang around the hospital waiting room when usually I've just walked into my gp's office but I think towards the end you want to be with the people who know the most about your possible outcome so its probably for the best.

Advertisement