Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DART Livery

Options
  • 24-06-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

just in case anyone is interested i saw the darts being fitted with new livery yesterday.
    i couldnt get a picture at the time but the new design says 'DART 25'.
    must be to celebrate 25 years of the service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

It annoys me everytime I see things have been painted or redesigned. Why can't they spend the money on better services instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Random wrote: »
    It annoys me everytime I see things have been painted or redesigned. Why can't they spend the money on better services instead?

Well the current word is that an improved DART timetable is on the way at the next timetable change with a clockface 15 minute service right through the day, augmented at peak times which should see an end to the long gaps in service that currently happen.

So it's not all bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

just in case anyone is interested i saw the darts being fitted with new livery yesterday.
    i couldnt get a picture at the time but the new design says 'DART 25'.
    must be to celebrate 25 years of the service
    Or it could also refere to "25 miles an hour" :pac:

I have no probs with their present service, the only major was that recent spate of vandalism when some idiots threw a pushbike on the overheads.

Something fresh with their liverys would not go astray. Its great to see nearly all the LHB 8100 units survive 25 years (Apart from the few that were totaled by that fire in the Fairview depot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Twenty five years later and we still only have one DART line!! The DART should be a brand accross Dublin by now on road, rail and light rail as an integrated transit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

KC61 wrote: »
    Well the current word is that an improved DART timetable is on the way at the next timetable change with a clockface 15 minute service right through the day, augmented at peak times which should see an end to the long gaps in service that currently happen.

So it's not all bad!

I've been hearing that for years. I'd love to believe it's true (even if it's still crap... 4 trains an hour, big whoop!) but if it requires any investment we can be fairly sure it won't happen.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote: »
    Twenty five years later and we still only have one DART line!! The DART should be a brand accross Dublin by now on road, rail and light rail as an integrated transit system.
    But we got a huge tunnel that goes right across the Dublin which is more than any city in Europe would have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

An interesting 25 years.

9 years of promise.

10 years of retrenchment.

2 years of weekend closures.

and 4 years of PR/Government bull****.

Yeah. Thats progress alright and worth celebrating.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

So what everyone is saying is that DART sucks..OK!

If you do live along the line though..its much better than Dublin Bus.

Anyway ye I saw some of thos DARTs with the new paint job at Clontarf Road..

Bajingo wrote: »
    So what everyone is saying is that DART sucks..OK!

If you do live along the line though..its much better than Dublin Bus.

Anyway ye I saw some of thos DARTs with the new paint job at Clontarf Road..
    If the Dart was anyway like Dublin Bus they would have gone through at least half a dozen different liveries since 1984. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Its a great service when its allowed to do what its designed to do. In the 80s we had 5min peak frequencies and 15 min off peak frequencies. 20 min frequencies on Sundays. But over the years political lobbying without back up funding has forced more trains into the equation from Maynooth, the northern line etc. Politicians think that a few quid for a shiny new train solves the problem. The deterioation of DART services is evidence that it doesn't. Both successive Governments and CIE are responsible. One is just plain thick and hasn't a clue while the other is also plain thick and should have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I agree, especially since all the older 8100's would have been repainted when they were refurbished by Seimens anyway.

The more paint lashed on these things the better, It will help them survive the coastal eliments, who knows, they might get another 25 years service out of them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

KC61 wrote: »

So it's not all bad!

i'll believe it when I see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Its hardly a new livery, just '25' added to the current design.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Complete waste of time and money and something CIE seem to revel in. How many Dublin Bus liveries has there been in the last 20 years?

In the same period Berlin has had.....ONE! All BVG transit is YELLOW. Bus, tram, U-Bahn, all YELLOW. No fancy paint jobs with go faster stripes and two-tone liveries, just fcuking YELLOW. Cheap and instantly recognisable. Similarly Munich has a basic blue/white scheme, Cologne Red/white and so on... and they NEVER change the colour. I think they realise that public transport is an essential service and not a pair of trainers.

When the BVG etc. want to celebrate 100 years of something they roll out a historical tram/bus/U-Bahn because they actually preserve their industrial heritage in a meaningful way here and can then roll out FUNCTIONING old stuff on special occasions.

CIE are a continuing joke.

murphaph wrote: »
    Complete waste of time and money and something CIE seem to revel in. How many Dublin Bus liveries has there been in the last 20 years?

In the same period Berlin has had.....ONE! All BVG transit is YELLOW. Bus, tram, U-Bahn, all YELLOW. No fancy paint jobs with go faster stripes and two-tone liveries, just fcuking YELLOW. Cheap and instantly recognisable. Similarly Munich has a basic blue/white scheme, Cologne Red/white and so on... and they NEVER change the colour. I think they realise that public transport is an essential service and not a pair of trainers.

By repainting their rolling stock they can fool their customers into thinking that they have updated the transit system again. They do this with the "Super Train" in the 70ies when they repainted all the old Metrovics and GM Locos. We used to do the same with bicycles as kids when they got tatty,

Then the BVG etc. want to celebrate 100 years of something they roll out a historical tram/bus/U-Bahn because they actually preserve their industrial heritage in a meaningful way here and can then roll out FUNCTIONING old stuff on special occasions.

Didn't they run a Steam traiin excursion on the Dublin / Wexford line last sunday?

Anyone any picts of these "new" trains?

Didn't they run a Steam traiin excursion on the Dublin / Wexford line last sunday?QUOTE]
    I would imagine that would have been the IRRS. I don't think CIE preserved any steam (and pretty much no diesel either) traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Didn't they run a Steam traiin excursion on the Dublin / Wexford line last sunday?QUOTE]
    I would imagine that would have been the IRRS. I don't think CIE preserved any steam (and pretty much no diesel either) traction.

That would have been an RPSI special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

5 by my count and most buses would have only carried 2 or 3 of them through their life.

Buses amd trains require re-painting every so often anyway so the extra cost in changing livery is relatively small.

In comparison the the ridiculous amount of changes that goes on with the privatised British railway companies CIE and IE in particular are relatively conservative with their colour schemes.

DART and the old diesel stock (Cravens, Mk2, Mk3) have all kept the same basic colour scheme for over 20 years with only small changes while in the UK under private ownrship large amounts of stock has complete re-paint within months because of a change in franchisee or changes in corporate management who insist on re-branding every so often to improve their public image.
    In the same period Berlin has had.....ONE! All BVG transit is YELLOW. Bus, tram, U-Bahn, all YELLOW. No fancy paint jobs with go faster stripes and two-tone liveries, just fcuking YELLOW. Cheap and instantly recognisable.

These things are an integral part of our cities as well as being functional transport, is it such a crime to put a litte effort into making them pleasant on the eye? I suppose you also believe that local authorities should be slated for spending money on ornamental street furniture, public art works and amenities. Anything above the bare minimum functionality is just a waste of public funds?
    When the BVG etc. want to celebrate 100 years of something they roll out a historical tram/bus/U-Bahn because they actually preserve their industrial heritage in a meaningful way here and can then roll out FUNCTIONING old stuff on special occasions.

There is plenty of preserved FUNCTIONING heritage bus and rail vehicles in ireland, mostly in the hands of private non-profit groups and individuals and there is a long tradition of CIE providing support to these groups. The RPSI have been running preserved (ex-CIE and other) steam locos for decades on Irish mainlines with the help and support of CIE.

The lengths some people will go to criticise every aspect of CIE is a continuing joke.

This whole thread is a giant moan based on what? A few stickers IE have knocked up to mark 25 years of DART operations.

http://garaiste.yuku.com/topic/8687/t/New-DART-Livery.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

yz2ton.jpg

The "25" indicates how many minutes late it is.

• Advertisement

Or, if you miss it, how long you'll have to wait for the next one. At rush hour.

yz2ton.jpg

Not too bad, only a sticker FFS :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that the were repainting the whole batch of EMU sets a different colour, the 8100 looks very fresh for 25 years old.

I think instead of running an nostalgic trips they should reduce fares to 25c for the rest of the year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

the "25" is also Minister Dempsey's IQ.

John R wrote: »
    5 by my count and most buses would have only carried 2 or 3 of them through their life.

Buses amd trains require re-painting every so often anyway so the extra cost in changing livery is relatively small.
    In reality would you say it's "every so often" or 'rarely' John? I would suggest that it is rarely. Most of the BVG fleet here looks like it's never been repainted (you can always tell if a vehicle has been repainted, especially public service vehicles like buses).
    In comparison the the ridiculous amount of changes that goes on with the privatised British railway companies CIE and IE in particular are relatively conservative with their colour schemes.

DART and the old diesel stock (Cravens, Mk2, Mk3) have all kept the same basic colour scheme for over 20 years with only small changes while in the UK under private ownrship large amounts of stock has complete re-paint within months because of a change in franchisee or changes in corporate management who insist on re-branding every so often to improve their public image.
    But I compared CIE (state run transport) to BVG (state run transport), not to private companies who can waste their own money if they so desire. Indeed, IE are probably the least offending of the CIE group but not comletely innocent.
    These things are an integral part of our cities as well as being functional transport, is it such a crime to put a litte effort into making them pleasant on the eye?
    What's wong with this simple colour scheme with no go faster stripes and weird angles (which all must be painstakingly masked off for each respray and make the vehicles more expensive to begin with)?:
    Bus.jpg
    I suppose you also believe that local authorities should be slated for spending money on ornamental street furniture, public art works and amenities. Anything above the bare minimum functionality is just a waste of public funds?
    John, you're getting carried away however in ireland unfortunately nice public infrastructure usually gets trashed in a few days by scumbags anyway, but broadly speaking I am in favour of it. I would prefer tax payers' money to go on parks and fountains than respraying buses into the latest fad colour scheme. Buses in Dublin should be a simple blue colour.
    There is plenty of preserved FUNCTIONING heritage bus and rail vehicles in ireland, mostly in the hands of private non-profit groups and individuals and there is a long tradition of CIE providing support to these groups. The RPSI have been running preserved (ex-CIE and other) steam locos for decades on Irish mainlines with the help and support of CIE.
    But CIE themselves don't or at least historically didn't give a toss about such things and never directly preserved stock themselves. Deutsche Bahn over here has pretty much got at least one example of every type of loco it's run for the last 50 years, in full working order.
    The lengths some people will go to criticise every aspect of CIE is a continuing joke.
    It's not hard to criticise CIE in fairness John. They bring it upon themselves.
    This whole thread is a giant moan based on what? A few stickers IE have knocked up to mark 25 years of DART operations.
    If the DART was a paragon of public transport I might understand the fanfare. It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

markpb wrote: »
    I've been hearing that for years. I'd love to believe it's true (even if it's still crap... 4 trains an hour, big whoop!) but if it requires any investment we can be fairly sure it won't happen.

well what would you consider a good service off peak??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

DWCommuter wrote: »
    An interesting 25 years.

9 years of promise.

10 years of retrenchment.

2 years of weekend closures.

and 4 years of PR/Government bull****.

Yeah. Thats progress alright and worth celebrating.:rolleyes:

Man you just love to complain the railway in ireland only really got real

investment 10 years ago it takes time to build a world class rail service

im sure if we had dart services every 5mins 24hrs day dublin to cork in 1hr and a return ticket for 1euro to cork you would still complain.

why dont you just drive or better yet get the bus as the old saying goes "we are not there yet but we are getting there" viva la DART

luzon wrote: »

im sure if we had dart services every 5mins 24hrs day dublin to cork in 1hr and a return ticket for 1euro to cork you would still complain.

why dont you just drive or better yet get the bus as the old saying goes "we are not there yet but we are getting there" viva la DART
    Dart service to cork with no toilets and canteen. :eek:

Third rail or overheads, Man those overheads Dart pylons would look so ugly all the way down the country. ;)

well what would you consider a good service off peak??

Luas manages 10 minute frequencies until quite late in the evening and runs till 12.30 every night. They even manage to run late night trams at Christmas. Do you think well see Dart manage that with their new timetable, new signalling or even post-Interconnector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CIE/IE has had millions put into it since at least the mid-1980s and we are as far away as ever from having a 'world class rail service'. Mainline timings are, in many cases, worse than they were 20 years ago; secondary lines are being operated with rolling stock fit only for commuter traffic and railfreight has almost been completely abandoned. As things stand the railway outside the Greater Dublin area has become irrelevant to the National well being. :mad:

• Advertisement

CIE/IE has had millions put into it since at least the mid-1980s and we are as far away as ever from having a 'world class rail service'. Mainline timings are, in many cases, worse than they were 20 years ago; secondary lines are being operated with rolling stock fit only for commuter traffic and railfreight has almost been completely abandoned. As things stand the railway outside the Greater Dublin area has become irrelevant to the National well being. :mad:
    ...and inside the GDR it's what? world class? hahaha....

Advertisement