Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for €1,000

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

Looking for a small, cheap run-around and from doing research I've come to the conclusion I could get one that would do the job for around €1k. It seems my choice down in this bargain basement comes down to a few models, most of which date from 1998-2001, and most of which have 50k-90k on the clock:

> Ford Fiesta
    > Fiat Punto
    > Opel Corsa
    > Peugeot 106
    > Renault Clio

(I have left out Ka's, Rovers, Seats, Fiat Ciquentos because I'd rather take the bus than drive any of those).

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these models/vintages? Is there any reasons to stay away from any of the above?

If I had to choose today, I'd go for a 1999 Ford Fiesta I've seen with 65k miles that's asking €1250. 20% off for the recession nabs it for €999 I'd say. But if anyone thinks something else is preferable, please say. For me, Puntos are too cumbersome and boxy, Corsa's are too tinny and wee, 106's are a poor man's 306 and more expensive than the competitors, while Clios are a bit girly (perfectly nice, but girly). That leaves the Fiesta, which seems dull, but not horrible and with a decent reputation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Grand , parts are cheap and every mechanic in Ireland can fix a Festy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

For that kind of price I'd be judging each car on it's own merits. Try and have a good mechanic look it over before you buy too. Also at that price don't buy one that's due any big maintenance job soon like a timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

I wouldn't waste my money on any of them to be honest. Friend of mine picked up an 02 MG ZR that was only in need of a drivers door for €2000, not a bother on it. Get a few extra bob together go up in the years a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

hes not saying he's buying one, i think he's asking which is the best car for €1000!

OK, my answer is "none of the above"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

As a biased Fiesta owner I'd recommend one, but some things to watch out for with the Mk. 4/5:

- There's two common engines, a 60bhp 1.3 8V OHV and a 75bhp 1.25 16V DOHC. The 1.3 is better in some ways for driving around town (peak torque at lower revs mainly) and there's no timing belt to worry about, but the 1.25 is more powerful and much more refined.
    - Rust, especially wheelarches and below fuel cap.
    - Squeaky suspension - nothing terminal but can cost a few hundred depending how many bushings need replacing (will drive noticeably better afterwards too).
    - Broken heater control valve (stuck on cold or hot), €50 for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OK, my answer is "none of the above"

Yet you dived in with one he specifically said he didnt want and twice the budget, Rover. your not great at this, are you?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yet you dived in with one he specifically said he didnt want. Rover.

I didn't tell him to buy a bleedin rover, I'm just telling him (with good intent) not to buy a dirtbox for a grand when he'd get something much better for a few hundred extra.

I didn't tell him to buy a bleedin rover, I'm just telling him (with good intent) not to buy a dirtbox for a grand when he'd get something much better for a few hundred extra.

If thats the case why didnt your mate add another "few hundred" and spend €4k on a better car again?

Lads. It's 2.30am. Will you drop it, this is not helpful to the OP at all

• Advertisement

Because he wanted a ZR and bought that one, anyway if I was forced to buy a car in that price range i'd go for a jap scrap which is why I said none of the above. I'd be shooting for a Starlet or Micra personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Besides, a ZR is not a good car.....

Clio ftw

Because he wanted a ZR and bought that one, anyway if I was forced to buy a car in that price range i'd go for a jap scrap which is why I said none of the above. I'd be shooting for a Starlet or Micra personally.

I'm guessing you have no tdirect experience so?

My missus had a 99 Micra. I bought a Clio new in 2000. There just isnt a comparison. Her Micra sat pretty much unused from Feb 2000 till she traded it in in early 01 because neither of us wanted to drive it . It lost out in every area to the Clio.

Only drove a starlet the once, in the late 90's, it was about 5 years old but felt 3 times the age. Tinny and uncomfortable,

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm guessing you have no tdirect experience so?

My missus had a 99 Micra. I bought a Clio new in 2000. There just isnt a comparison. Her Micra sat pretty much unused from Feb 2000 till she traded it in in early 01 because neither of us wanted to drive it . It lost out in every area to the Clio.

My first car was a 93 micra import, had it for 2 years without a problem. The woman had a yaris which was also very reliable. I've never had a renault so I can't relate to the clio.

I already asked you pair to quit it. This is not helpful to the OP at all. I won't ask a third time

My first car was a 93 micra import, had it for 2 years without a problem. The woman had a yaris which was also very reliable. I've never had a renault so I can't relate to the clio.

Well my experience of the Clio is my own, which my mother now uses. It's well ove r9 years old, 95000 miles and the only issue is one it currently has, a leaky water pump, which I have a tsrong suspicion the mechanic that changed the TB about 20k ago didnt bother changing, ince I've started to notice corner cutting on a few things. He wont be getting it again.

My cousin had a facelifted 02 that he kept for 2 or 3 years trouble free till he traded it in off the new model in 07, which is now over 2 years old and 100%.

Another cousin is drivign an 04 Punto which has been reliable since new. Though I think any sub 1k Punto will be the older one.

Corsa of that age I didnt like at all, female cousin had one, and while it was ok for her, I drove it a few times and found the pedals far too close together. The car also fell to bits, which doesnt help things.

106 I havnt had and same with the Fiesta although when I was buying my clio it was between that and a fiesta. I preferred the clio when I drove it and a manager where I worked at the time had one of each. He preferred the Clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

If I really had to choose on of those cars it would be painful but I'd have to say the Fiesta.

They're ugly but probably the most reliable car there.

Have you considered a VW Polo? A 98-99 with 60-80K on the clock is possible for around a grand. They're probably the most solid small car out there & i'd argue the most fuel efficient. They're a very torquey engine for the size. They pull very well in low gears/revs unlike most small cars.

The interior is more solid than most & not bad either. German switch gear hardly ever goes bad. Just make sure if it's over 60-70K that the timing belt has been done or you'll be into another few hundred to have it done.

It's probably the best 2nd hand small car for the money your spending. I'm a beemer fanatic & drive a 1991 735i & I have a 1990 Saab 900i as a run around. I regularly borrow my brothers '96 Polo for city runs as it's so cheap to run & it's actually plenty of fun.

Best of luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 1 litre VW group engine is a rubbish engine. Water Pump and Timing belt @ 60k miles . €700 or so the pair .

The 1.4 engine is much better but also needs timing belt at around that stage .

I think the Fiesta has a chain not a belt but I am not 100% on that . It does not go like a belt does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

1.25 Zetec Fiesta - nothing can touch it for poke, economy, fun and kit. Loads of the 99 LX's had air con too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Thanks all for input.

On the VW Polo - yeah, I've thought about it (forgot to put it in OP), but I think whenever I looked at one I'd just think how much more I'd prefer a Golf! Kinda similar to the 106, which just reminds me how much I'd prefer a 306! They are too similar to their bigger cousins, whereas a Fiesta wouldn't having me pining for a Focus.

Anyway, will take all your advice on board, and any more any one has...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

EPM wrote: »
    1.25 Zetec Fiesta - nothing can touch it for poke, economy, fun and kit. Loads of the 99 LX's had air con too

I agree with EPM. The 1.25 is a nippy little engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Looking for a small, cheap run-around and from doing research I've come to the conclusion I could get one that would do the job for around €1k. It seems my choice down in this bargain basement comes down to a few models, most of which date from 1998-2001, and most of which have 50k-90k on the clock:

> Ford Fiesta
    > Fiat Punto
    > Opel Corsa
    > Peugeot 106
    > Renault Clio

(I have left out Ka's, Rovers, Seats, Fiat Ciquentos because I'd rather take the bus than drive any of those).

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these models/vintages? Is there any reasons to stay away from any of the above?

If I had to choose today, I'd go for a 1999 Ford Fiesta I've seen with 65k miles that's asking €1250. 20% off for the recession nabs it for €999 I'd say. But if anyone thinks something else is preferable, please say. For me, Puntos are too cumbersome and boxy, Corsa's are too tinny and wee, 106's are a poor man's 306 and more expensive than the competitors, while Clios are a bit girly (perfectly nice, but girly). That leaves the Fiesta, which seems dull, but not horrible and with a decent reputation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sorry now but there all crap cars and you end up spending loads of more money..

Get a toyota starlet/corolla or honda civic or nissan micra/almera..All very reliable..
    Go for low milage rather than year or car..

Best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

barochoc wrote: »
    If I really had to choose on of those cars it would be painful but I'd have to say the Fiesta.

They're ugly but probably the most reliable car there.

Have you considered a VW Polo? A 98-99 with 60-80K on the clock is possible for around a grand. They're probably the most solid small car out there & i'd argue the most fuel efficient. They're a very torquey engine for the size. They pull very well in low gears/revs unlike most small cars.

The interior is more solid than most & not bad either. German switch gear hardly ever goes bad. Just make sure if it's over 60-70K that the timing belt has been done or you'll be into another few hundred to have it done.

It's probably the best 2nd hand small car for the money your spending. I'm a beemer fanatic & drive a 1991 735i & I have a 1990 Saab 900i as a run around. I regularly borrow my brothers '96 Polo for city runs as it's so cheap to run & it's actually plenty of fun.

Best of luck :)
    I'd disagree. The Polo 1 litre engine is muck, the gearbox in all of them is muck, the interior is horrible and dated, and most of them in this country have no power steering.
    I'd go with the Clio on that list because the Fiesta 1.3 engine is dirt too.
    But in reality I'd probably look harder and find a Civic. The 106 seats are terrible. You'd probably find a 1.2 Bravo for that money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A 99 Polo sold last night in Merlin for €150. Yes, one hundred and fifty euro. Cheap little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Out of those I'd pick a Fiesta, but also consider a Starlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Renault Clio.

Because they were the last Renaults nailed together right and were pretty fun to drive

Ford == Frequently Off Road Dead
    FIAT == Fix It Again Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Personally I'd go for the clio or the 106. Had a 106 for about a year but upgraded it to a golf! Nothing at all wrong with it though.

Would you consider a Citroen Saxo? I'd love one!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=1317597

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Nabbed a 1994 BMW 3 series for 1100 notes a few months back :D it did have 140K on the clock tho, and the gearbox needed a few pokes and prods....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

citroen saxo:o?? just looked on driving.ie they seem to be around the 2k mark for a newer model 00 (yippee)

i know two guys who had fiestas one was a 97 and one was a 99 they never had any trouble with them,i think one engine is better than the other one?!

Advertisement