Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Document

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you know for the Leaving Cert French oral, you have the opportunity to pre-prepare a French document on an object, e.g. a magazine, photo, etc... Right so, long story short I don't 100% trust my French teacher and well I'm looking for someone who anyway decent/fluent in French to have a quick look over it and do a bit of correcting.

Any takers? I have an English translation of what it should say aswell. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

As some of you know for the Leaving Cert French oral, you have the opportunity to pre-prepare a French document on an object, e.g. a magazine, photo, etc... Right so, long story short I don't 100% trust my French teacher and well I'm looking for someone who anyway decent/fluent in French to have a quick look over it and do a bit of correcting.

Any takers? I have an English translation of what it should say aswell. :)
    Send it on sure: steffano2002 at yahoo.com

Orpost it here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Post it here if you are stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There they are in French and English. :)

Will do this tonight at home for you mate. ;)

Will do this tonight at home for you mate. ;)

Thanks very much.;)

• Advertisement

Here you go Gavin. That's how I would have written it. Let me just say that if you hand that in to your teacher he/she will know you had help! :P

Here you go Gavin. That's how I would have written it. Let me just say that if you hand that in to your teacher he/she will know you had help! :P

Cheers man, if for what ever reason I happen to bump into you, etc... I owe you a pint.:D

Cheers man, if for what ever reason I happen to bump into you, etc... I owe you a pint.:D
    No hassle mate! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

Nice use of language in this doc but it raises some interesting questions with regard to the whole oral preparation thing. As I'm sure you're aware there is the great debate about fluency v accuracy in language learning. I read the original doc and tbh didn't think it was too bad for a LC level. I just wonder would it be counter productive to learn 'par coeur' a load of language that doesn't really mean anything to you on an internalised level?

Don't get me wrong. I realise you were doing the guy a favour but going by his original doc and language therein one would have to question whether he knows what is being said. Then again there is the whole idea that he's saying exactly what he was saying all along and you just dressed it up (a lot!) and that it is perfectly ok. But then in which case it was ok all along anyway! In my experience examiners tend to mark more favourably when candidates use their own 'internalised' language which they use spontaneously and naturally. It's a sticky issue and maybe not for this thread but does highlight certain issues with regard to language learning and teaching in this country.

De toute manière c'etait une geste sympa de ta part;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Not to nitpick - but 'fut' is the 'passé simple' form of 'etre' - nobody actually uses the passé simple in everyday spoken language. It's only used in novels, etc. So not to be used in the oral exam! Dis plutot: 'Le match le plus triste fut était le dernier match de la saison 2008.'

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass%C3%A9_simple

Hope this helps, Gavin. Also, a tip: record yourself talking about your document and listen to it - I found it really helped back when I did my Leaving Cert oral. Try not to just learn a speech off word for word, because the examiner will interrupt and ask questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 benjyboo

Thats a really good document OP. I would've taken some inspiration from it myself ...if i had an interest in sport!:rolleyes:

i was thinking of doing my document on the louvre...is that a bit generic tho??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Riconho

mental07 wrote: »
    nobody actually uses the passé simple in everyday spoken language. It's only used in novels, etc. So not to be used in the oral exam! Dis plutot: 'Le match le plus triste fut était le dernier match de la saison 2008.'
    :eek:
    fut could be used in this phrase.
    But the use of était is good if in the next sentence avons été is replaced by fûmes, cause action is taking place before another past action:
    Nous fûmes rétrogradé à la deuxième division pour la saison 2007.

Advertisement