Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

idle car, NCT, tax??

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I almost have my car, my brother gave it to me when he bought a new one. My father said he would collect it, great, that was in October. It's taxed until the end of the year and NCT is out at the start of the year. The way things are going I'm not going to be able to afford the insurance and it also looks that I won't even get it for another few months. I would like the car to be outside my place and so would my brother, he doesn't have enough room for two cars, I'm just going to have to wait.

My brother has said, sometime in November, that the seats had started to grow mould. I'll be able to clean that but, could there be anything wrong caused by leaving the car idle that will effect driving or the NCT.

Also, when I get enough money for the insurance, I'll need the NCT on it. I'm guessing tow the car to get the NCT, then get the insurance and then tax. It might be Feb or March until I can do that, so it'll be 2 or 3 months off road, I'm going to guess again that, that makes taxing the car alittle more awkward.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from the L to the D.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

you should start the car once a week and move it, if its not legal to drive it on road then even moving fowards and backwards in the driveway will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

JackFrosty wrote: »
    you should start the car once a week and move it, if its not legal to drive it on road then even moving fowards and backwards in the driveway will help.

I would do that if I could get at the car but all I can do now is sit and wait. There's also no point asking my brother to do that, I'm lucky enough to be getting the car.

Ok, well can you afford to hire a recovery truck to move the car for you? from your brothers to yours,
    The list of problems with a car sitting idle is endless, at least if you get it to yours, you can start it and clean the seats etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Orla K wrote: »
    I almost have my car, my brother gave it to me when he bought a new one. My father said he would collect it, great, that was in October. It's taxed until the end of the year and NCT is out at the start of the year. The way things are going I'm not going to be able to afford the insurance and it also looks that I won't even get it for another few months. I would like the car to be outside my place and so would my brother, he doesn't have enough room for two cars, I'm just going to have to wait.

Do you have a drive way or off street parking? If not you can't have it over at your place.
    My brother has said, sometime in November, that the seats had started to grow mould. I'll be able to clean that but, could there be anything wrong caused by leaving the car idle that will effect driving or the NCT.

A good car left up won't go mouldy on the inside, we had a car left up for a few years and was still grand inside. I'd check to make sure all the seals are OK. You may be getting a free car that could cost you a lot in the long run.
    Also, when I get enough money for the insurance, I'll need the NCT on it. I'm guessing tow the car to get the NCT, then get the insurance and then tax. It might be Feb or March until I can do that, so it'll be 2 or 3 months off road, I'm going to guess again that, that makes taxing the car alittle more awkward.

You can tax the car for 3 months and insure it, then drive to the NCT. Once you have the NCT booking letter in hand you'd have to meet a very p!ssed off Garda for then to do anything. You can get the RF100 form signed by a Garda for the 3-4 months you aren't driving. Just make sure to do it at the start of a month not the end as the tax runs from the 1st day of the month you tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you have a drive way or off street parking? If not you can't have it over at your place.

Parking is not a problem
    A good car left up won't go mouldy on the inside, we had a car left up for a few years and was still grand inside. I'd check to make sure all the seals are OK. You may be getting a free car that could cost you a lot in the long run.

It's a good car, the only problems my brother had with it were one's that he caused and that were easily fixed. It went mouldy inside, I think because he left the window slightly open and he's not the cleanist

You can tax the car for 3 months and insure it, then drive to the NCT. Once you have the NCT booking letter in hand you'd have to meet a very p!ssed off Garda for then to do anything. You can get the RF100 form signed by a Garda for the 3-4 months you aren't driving. Just make sure to do it at the start of a month not the end as the tax runs from the 1st day of the month you tax it.

Thanks, I was thinking about it all day today and what I might do is, get out a loan and insure it, fix it up for the NCT and of course renew the tax. It'll probably be easier.

Good luck with the new car

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

I had a car off the road for six months up to the middle of this month. Tax and NCT were both out on it but I could still get insurance because the NCT went out while it was off the road and uninsured so they accepted that there was no way to get it to the test centre.

The only major problem I had with it getting it back on the road was the battery. It was totally knackered so had to be replaced. Could have avoided that with a once a week or so start and tick over for 20 mins.

Try getting a quote now so you and the car are in the system then when you go back looking for a quote in 3 months they might be more lenient about the lack of current NCT (I don't work in insurance though so this is purely from personal experience).

One more thing, most modern cars are made of rust resistant materials but slightly older ones (like my 1992 Hiace) will turn into absolute rust buckets if you leave them to sit. WD40 will help but not as much as driving it, get it on the road asap if you want to avoid rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

What is the story with getting a Garda to sign off on the tax renewal form that the car was unused for a certain period of time. Say I brought a car at the start of December and was waiting for the VLC to be send back from Clare for a couple of weeks and decided not to start driving the car until January even though the VLC says the car was passed over in terms of ownership at the start of December. If I stated this to the card that I wasn;t going to start driving it until January 1st would it be startigthforward to get him or her to sign the renewal form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

billyhead wrote: »
    What is the story with getting a Garda to sign off on the tax renewal form that the car was unused for a certain period of time. Say I brought a car at the start of December and was waiting for the VLC to be send back from Clare for a couple of weeks and decided not to start driving the car until January even though the VLC says the car was passed over in terms of ownership at the start of December. If I stated this to the card that I wasn;t going to start driving it until January 1st would it be startigthforward to get him or her to sign the renewal form.

Unless you meet one on a bad day and you have a plausible enough reason most of them would be grand about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

billyhead wrote: »
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Unless you meet one on a bad day and you have a plausible enough reason most of them would be grand about it.

The story is don't drive it around until you're stopped at a check point. Call into your local Garda station in January, they'll give you the tax renewal form, fill out the relevant details, get it singed and stamped on the spot and you can post it to the tax office on the same day. Then, if you have to try and deal with Wexford motor tax office... the fun begins.

Advertisement