Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in the mud - can't get out...

Options
  • 12-08-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

OK, I've stupidly got my Navara caught in the mud on a field/forestry track on Sunday. Was banking on the weather improving and driving it out. Looks like I might need a 'tug' from a tractor though:rolleyes:...

However i can't find a towing eye at the front:confused:

It's a Navara D22 similar to this (without bullbars etc.)
    - http://www.tbruk.com/contents/media/l_pup2.jpg

I dunno are there any other 'tips'. The ground is soup at this stage and the forecast isn't great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could try letting most of the air out of the tyres and/or lifting the yoke and push stuff under the wheels ...finding a point to tow from would be easier though.
    Don't know the Navara, so can't offer any tips ...what about pulling it out backwards from the tow-hook (if present)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd try putting a few planks of wood under the wheels and try driving it up onto them. What ever u do don't keep diggin for china lol. Bes of luck, take a pic if ur out there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Could it be a detachable eye that you screw in when needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

The towing eye on the front sometimes is removed to fit a bull bar. A previous owner might have done this and then took off the bull bar when selling it.
    Have a look at onother one and if that is the case and if it is see will they let you borrow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

how stuck are we talking here, just lack of traction or is the underside of the vehicle beached and the wheels are not touching fully solid ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I find the best tool for getting out of muck is one of these. they can be aqward enough to store behind the seat though.

If there is room under the chassis, and you can still go back and forward, try shoving stones, timber, branches etc under the wheels to get some traction, sometimes turning the wheels from side to side (if there is no diff lock) will change the drive wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

best trick is to get some planks ( simular to ones used on scaffolding ) let a little bitr of air out of the tyres ( 2-5 psi ) and roll the car onto them... when on these, gun it, get a good start and keep moving till your out of the danger zone.

worked each and every time ive had to do it.

Advertisement