Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French accomodation search

Options
  • 02-06-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but is there anywhere on the net to find an appartment in France.

I'm looking for something that is the equivalent of daft.ie

Also is it possible to rent a house in France for 9 or 12 months, or do contracts tend to be more long term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Hi,

here are a few links

http://www.acheter-louer.fr/location_appartement.html
    http://www.maison.fr/
    http://www.seloger.com/annonces.htm?idtt=1

Usually contract ( bail in french ) tends to be for 3 years, with 3 months deposit and 95% of the time will be unfurnished:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

www.appartager.com is good if you are looking to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks i'll have a look at those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 David@Bayard.co

www.colocation.fr
    www.craigslist.org

But out of all the sites listed I'd go with Appartager or Craigslist

I'm living in Paris now and those two were the most usful for me!!

If your moving to france I woule seriously reccomend you gettin a carte de sejour from the french embassy before you come...; so fecin handy to have and I went through murder here in France to get mine.

Technically you don't need one cause were in the EU but surprise surprise some people are astounded when I tell them Ireland are in the Eu and have the Euro!!!

So, in short, they will tell you that you don't need one.............. Demand it and get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I lived in Lyon last year and found http://www.pap.fr to be the most useful.. There are furnished apartments with shorter contracts aplenty, no worries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

If your moving to france I woule seriously reccomend you gettin a carte de sejour from the french embassy before you come...; so fecin handy to have and I went through murder here in France to get mine.

Technically you don't need one cause were in the EU but surprise surprise some people are astounded when I tell them Ireland are in the Eu and have the Euro!!!

So, in short, they will tell you that you don't need one.............. Demand it and get it!!!
    You don't need one; you're an EU citizen. Why put yourself through the hassle for something you don't need?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Been checking out these sites myself as I'm moving to Toulouse in September, just wondering if anyone knew of any Toulouse/ Midi Pyrenees specific rental sites? I know of crij.org at the moment but thought it couldn't hurt to see more of what's out there.especially since crij.org doesn't really have any pictures.

mental07 wrote: »
    You don't need one; you're an EU citizen. Why put yourself through the hassle for something you don't need?

Your telling me........ I knew I didn't need one but it makes signing up for everything so handy!!!

Bank account, CAF... lots of stuff.

Otherwise your carrying documents everywhere around with you.

+ Not to mention the fact I've come across a minority of people in France who didn't know Ireland was in the EU and in addition to this they didn't know we had the Euro (THe euro thing is actually quite common)!.......... So they demande it and won't do anything if you don't have ........ as is what happened to me in the Prefecture at Cité!!!

Argued for 10 mins until she called in Re-enforcements an d got told that she was wrong!

It's a pain in the arse but its worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Your telling me........ I knew I didn't need one but it makes signing up for everything so handy!!!

+ Not to mention the fact I've come across a minority of people in France who didn't know Ireland was in the EU and in addition to this they didn't know we had the Euro (THe euro thing is actually quite common)!.......... So they demande it and won't do anything if you don't have ........ as is what happened to me in the Prefecture at Cité!!!

Argued for 10 mins until she called in Re-enforcements an d got told that she was wrong!

That's insane! You must be in hard luck. I've opened 2 bank accounts, applied for CAF, signed a lease, etc etc without even a whisper of a carte de séjour. My pièce d'identité (i.e. passport) has always been enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

La carte de séjour is only for non EU citizens. Why bother getting one? It's as useful as a snooze button on a fire alarm.

• Advertisement

elmolesto wrote: »
    La carte de séjour is only for non EU citizens. Why bother getting one? It's as useful as a snooze button on a fire alarm.

To be honest, now that I have one I carry it everywhere - Better than carrying your passport everywhere (so you don't loose it)!...... + I can get in the fast queue at customs whenever I come back to France.....

Also, when one happens to be slightly drunk and you bump into a police man :rolleyes: - Defo don't wanna give them your passport - Prob never get it back in my experience!

Advertisement