Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you go off roading?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

I've had my Pajero nearly 4 years and its only been off road a few times; on my uncle's farm, a construction site, a small course at a LandRover club meeting in Kildare and Dollymount strand(if that even counts!). So where do you take your 4x4 off road? I live in South Dublin so I'm fairly limited for options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My FIL's farm, some of which surrounds my house. Also, he has large sections set to the forrestry which is good too. Finally, the bog of Allen, to collect turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Got myself the ordonance survey maps for my greater local area and went lane hunting round hills and forests...all the fine lines on the map, usually logging roads or bog roads ...are they there, do they lead anywhere...

You'll find lots of them closed/locked, some of them in disappointingly good condition (i.e. boring) and others again have become so swampy that you can't go in there without backup (to dig you out again in case you get stuck).

It's good fun, that. At the very least you get to know your area really well and occasionally you stumble across a road/lane that is very nice and a bit challenging to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I have my own farm and forestry, so I'm in a gloriously lucky situation for a bit of off the cuff off-roading, but most of my driving is done in organised events or by express permission of other landowners.

Pretty much every inch of land here in Ireland is 'owned' by someone, and there is very little 'open commonage' or byways/greenlanes as are commonplace in the UK.
    Just something to bear in mind when exploring those tempting looking lanes and open spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've not had the chance to officially get the Paj properly mucky since i got her, but i've been tearing round a few muddy fields and getting her nice and manky a few times. great way to blow off some steam too. :D

Advertisement