Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher

Options
  • 04-11-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Has anybody bought/played this game? I've read some very good reviews; they all seem to say that Planescape Torment/Baldur's Gate fans (two of my favourite games) would really enjoy it.

The story of the game itself is based on a book also, which I think is a nifty idea and would guarantee a good story relative to some other "Kill monster, get princess" style games.

I think i'll buy it later today regardless so if nobody has played it I'll let you know what it's like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have it on the laptop and think it's great. Never really played RPG before so can't tell you what it's like etc but it's a great game for what it is...and I am really enjoying it. I'm also only twenty minutes into the game but it's great fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SKULMAN

Yeah its great n its polish heh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Just sunk round 20 hours into this game.

Well worth it. Best RPG to come along in a while, for me anyhow.

Have had only 1 crash so far not too many bugs, very well polished game, no real show stopping niggles, good story.

Game has a lot of character to it.

If you want a dacent RPG get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I got this on Friday. It's brilliant. It's crashed a fair amount of times, but I'm running vista, so it's to be expected. But the game is great. It has great atmosphere, your character shags everything in site, getting drunk looks cool and it's the only game where you'll hear an NPC saying "I f*cked a she-elf once", or be able to get a skill when you level up, that makes you a better fighter when you're drunk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was thinking of getting this,what are the specs like?are they high?

I have a dell xps m1710
    1gig of ram
    512mb nvidia geforce 7950gtx
    core 2 @2.16
    21gd harddrive

cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Was thinking of getting this,what are the specs like?are they high?

I have a dell xps m1710
    1gig of ram
    512mb nvidia geforce 7950gtx
    core 2 @2.16
    21gd harddrive

cheers :)

Your low RAM may slow things, but you should be okay otherwise.

Yeah, the recommended specs are an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so I should be ok to run it ya?

Should be fine, but as said, it may be a bit jittery with your ram, but you can lower the graphics til it works fine. Just remember to save often, it crashes all the time.

crashes often?oh ****,any patch out yet to fix it?

• Advertisement

There's one patch out that fixes a load of things, and I assume the next one is in the works. Some people don't have too much of a problem with crashes, but it goes every 15 minutes for me. Still doesn't stop me starting it up again, straight away. Plus, it autosaves a fair bit, so you never lose a load of progress, it's just more of an annoyance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its pretty good. Played it up till the first proper boss,
    the beast
    . I can't bloody beat him though. I dont think i'm very good at the combat, as he kicks my ass every time i play it.

I'm stuck there too.
    I think there must be an alternative way of killing him, since he doesn't seem to have a health indicator below him. How that I think of it, I remember that I got info about hellhounds in my bestiary. It might have a clue as to what should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

As a first boss the beast is very tough, especially as the before this the game is easy going enough.

This is what I did:
    Took a blizzard potion to slow things down, hit him a few time and used the telekinesis power (Aard symbol) to knock the beast down and finish him on the ground.

The first time I hit him with telekinesis, it just knocked him down for a split second, I think you have to get his health down a wee bit before, then hit him with it, he will lie stunned on the ground and you finish him in one shot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just played the first 30 minutes and it seems really good. Dont know how I will find the time to finish this, Crysis & Bioshock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Fittingly resurrecting a zombie thread after finishing this over the last couple of weeks. Bought it and TW2 in the steam sale last year and after hearing how good TW3 is I thought I'd give it a shot. Must say, for a game that's kinda boring in parts with alot of running back and forth it's pretty damn epic. The combats a bit meh but the story is really engaging and the choices really matter it seems. Took about 40 hrs to complete too but the last boss fights were a letdown cause I was almost fully leveled with the good armour etc. On to TW2 in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

9 year old thread, well fair play for completing it and I can safely say the series only gets better from here!

Your saves will continue on as well so it will feel like one massive storyline now as characters from the first will appear again in either the second or third :)

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    9 year old thread, well fair play for completing it and I can safely say the series only gets better from here!

Your saves will continue on as well so it will feel like one massive storyline now as characters from the first will appear again in either the second or third :)
    Is it like Mass Effect where the choices carry over?. Kinda blows cause I've 1 and 2 on steam and can play them on the laptop but she'd not handle 3. I'll play that on the xbox. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭recyclops

Joshua J wrote: »
    Is it like Mass Effect where the choices carry over?. Kinda blows cause I've 1 and 2 on steam and can play them on the laptop but she'd not handle 3. I'll play that on the xbox. Oh well.

when you boot up 3 it will ask questions on the 2nd game at least if i remember correctly and gives you the same choices the game does so in effect you will be able to follow on the story arc as if you carried the save :):)

Some stuff carries over but its not a big deal really. I don't remember much carrying from witcher 1 to witcher 2. Think it was stuff like Siegfried and meeting him again in witcher 2. There is definitely a lot more you can have an affect on in witcher 2 that carries to 3. But very near the start of witcher 3 you can do this optional dialogue that allows you to pick answers on various decisions to simulate a save import.

• Advertisement

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Some stuff carries over but its not a big deal really. I don't remember much carrying from witcher 1 to witcher 2. Think it was stuff like Siegfried and meeting him again in witcher 2. There is definitely a lot more you can have an affect on in witcher 2 that carries to 3. But very near the start of witcher 3 you can do this optional dialogue that allows you to pick answers on various decisions to simulate a save import.

Yeah this might be an issue lol.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Yeah this might be an issue lol.

...or killing him in witcher 1 and NOT meeting him in witcher 2 :)

Advertisement