Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS - does everyone end up working with computers?

Options
  • 20-05-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

rite, iv noticed lately that a lot of ppl end up in different disciplines other than the one they studied at third level.
    there are so many extreme examples out there, it makes u wonder.
    why is this, I mean how can they be considered qualified to do the job there doing unless the 3rd level course they did relates to the area of work there doing.
    Of the ppl u know that did BIS - business information systems, how many of them ended up getting non BIS related jobs/work; Bis related jobs, being anything programming/design related.
    id prefer if this was takin seriously, and plz dont turn it into a piss take.
    thanks for your time
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd say 90% end up doing IT when they graduate. A lot of the people who don't get into programming will get into accounting instead when they graduate, that requires taking more exams though.

Moral of the story, if you don't like programming then DO NOT do this degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

i didn't do BIS, friends of mine did - all working in IT related fields for past 5-10 years- insurance, banking, investment banking - all i know is that they're earning a small fortune in comparison with other professions. HtH.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

not that many people end up doing programming from bis, id say most end up working with computers though, whether it be spreadsheets, testing, systems analysis and design

some end up programming (but usually the ones that have liked programming the whole way through), most become systems or technical analysts (usually working for consulting companies), and some go to do accounting, finance or other things

i would not be afraid of the course if you did not like programming but i would be if you cannot see yourself using computers in some form for the rest of your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 darren85

hi sorry just seeing this now, ive just completed my final year of BIS in ucc got results yesterday im now a grad! :D you dont need to be a strong programme to get through the course (id say 80% of the people me included are awful at coding!) it helps if your good at it though as there are a number of coding projects involved however if you attend ALL the lecturers and make an attempt at all the projects youll have no trouble getting through the degree, if youd like to chat about the course add me on gmail and ill be able to help you out with any questions you have.

darren.brennan@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Graduated 3 years ago.

More people ended up being accountants than actual developers (I was one of the few!). About 50% will end up in IT-related jobs excluding development - Analysts, project managers etc, 25% as Accountants, 15% as developers and the rest can be anything.

The biggest employers are Fidelity, Accenture, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, AIB, Barclays etc. Basically Financial Coporations and IT Consultants.

If you just want programming, do computer science or something, but for a more rounded degree with more options when you graduate, BIS is the best out there by a mile. 6 months in the states will be the best in your life, no problem getting a job and plenty of money/oppurtunities.

You will need to have an interest in IT and business and work hard. If not, you will still be able to scrape through the course, but you'll never be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dotsman wrote:

You will need to have an interest in IT and business and work hard. If not, you will still be able to scrape through the course, but you'll never be happy.

I couldnt agree more with this statement. I graduated a year ago, just finishing up a masters now in a slightly related (but not really) subject. Anyway i regret not putting more into BIS. I got my honours degree, but was never really comfortable with the subject, more a case of getting it done and moving on. Its an incredibly valuable degree to have if you put in the effort though, well worth it.

Advertisement