Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chip tuning Q.

Options
  • 01-05-2007 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all, im new to this whole tuning malarky so please bear with me.

First off how much on average would it cost to get a 316i chipped?
    Would the price/performance ratio be worth it?
    Ive seen some chips on ebay like here .Would this be similar to one installed by a professional? Im guessing the resistor based cheap mods are a joke?

Secondly would this have a big impact on my insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Doubt it really, its a 316 at the end of the day. Why not safe the money that it would cost in installation and insurance and just buy something with more poke if thats what your after??

Premium costs between 316-318-320 shouldnt really be that bad .

Chipping it could also affect the cars value negatively when it comes time to sell it, however I believe some of the better ones are easy enough to remove and reverse the effects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PMC187 wrote:

Ive seen some chips on ebay like here .Would this be similar to one installed by a professional? Im guessing the resistor based cheap mods are a joke?

Thanks

them chips dont work, do not fit one.
    they trick your car into thinking its running colder air therefore adding more fuel and your car will run too rich.

my opinion is you cant do alot to the 316 engine, not worth chipping and as said above better off saving the money and out it towards a 318 or 320 which would have more poke that your 316 chipped etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

No point chipping,its a fairly heavy car and underpowered as it is,you'd be throwing money against the wind by going down the performance route.

If your intent make a start with a good induction kit then manifold/exhaust system ect before considering chipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

PMC187 wrote:

Thanks

waste of money getting it chipped for the gains you will get. Most of them cheap ones on eBay destroy your car. I know a lad who bought one for 30, thought it was a bargain, and fried his ECU. 600 for a new ECU, and regretted it after that.

If ur set on getting it chipped, get it done professionally, but it will cost up in the hundreds.

and for what 4hp?? Better of doin a engine swap.

Advertisement