Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolkien Vs Peake

Options
  • 09-11-2005 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

So has anyone read both the Lord of the Rings and Gormenghast trilogies?

Which did you prefer?

Personally, while I found LOTR more accessible, Gormenghast has a dark humour that I really love.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

never heard of Gormenghas trilogy tbh..

Maybe I'll see if I can pick it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I preferred reading Gormenghast ..for the humour and writing style (And the illustrations :o) But,for story: Tolkien.

(I haven't read all of the Gormenghast trilogy though..)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I haven't read Gormenghast yet. My girlfriend loves it so I keep meaning to check it out. But being the sort of person who reads all the History of Middle Earth books I can't see it knocking Tolkien of his pedastel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

I admire both writers greatly, but I consider Gormenghast to be one of the great works of fiction ever, and Peake one of the true master stylists in the history of speculative fiction. As pure writers I don't there is any comparisin,; where Tolkien crafted a arguably iconic work, Peake himself was iconic in my opinion.

Advertisement