Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Windows

Options
  • 30-01-2004 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Is this actually possible?
    Surely opening the drive in a non-clean room environment will kill the drive?
    And why would manufacturers leave more space then is absolutely neccessary between the top cover and the upper-most platter?
    Surely they'd have tried to pack as many platters in the drive as possible, and space out the platters and head armatures as much as possible with whatever was left over?
    I've got an old 850Meg I could try, dunno about what I'd use for the actual window material.
    And in 7200rpm drives wouldn't perspex melt under the temp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Less platters in the drive less expense, the drives have free space cause they afto abide by a standard (3.5") or their drives run the risk of not fitting into PCs properly - commercial suicide. Here is a mod article another one here, I think I may try this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Ofcourse it's possible... and while you have the drive open.. you should defrag it.. instructions here: http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

@muffen- surely that is a joke!....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

muffen pure class!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

N.B. The most colorful parts of the disc is the part where all the graphics are!
    If you use Linux, then you'll of course don't need to do this operation at all...

Heh, thats classic, nice link muffin :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

surely that is a joke!....

Ofcourse :)

Although, it would be funny seeing someone attempting to defrag the HD that way :)

Advertisement