Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Glass

Options
  • 05-01-2004 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭

I am sure many of you have either made or intend to make the seasonal trip to the bottle bank, whereupon you will duly sort your bottles by colour and deposit in the correct bin, etc.

Just after doing this last weekend I came across large containers under a hotel, where they had recycled their glass. However, I noticed that glass of all sorts were mixed together, no colour separation at all.

So why are consumers (who might contribute 10% of all collected recycled glass) asked to seperate their glass, when the licensing industry (who are majority recyclers) don't have to.

Not that I mind, just curious, 's all.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mixers in pubs usually come in brown or green bottles (ie. cheapest possible glass) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Cap'n, I thought there might've been something along those lines - for example, perhaps all glass bottles in pubs are coloured with something that can later be easily washed out.

However, the bottles I seen in this pile were:

a) of several different colours, blues, greens, plains, browns
    b) piled together and broken down to maximise the crate size (crate belonged to some Dublin recycling company) and
    c) were identical to those I had just brought to the bottle bank - green beer bottles, clear alcopop bottles, brown wine bottle, etc.

There was a time not so long ago when it was in the economic interest of pubs and the drinks industry to partake in true recycling - i.e. return and re-use bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why not ask the Dublin City Recycler people?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Genghis
    There was a time not so long ago when it was in the economic interest of pubs and the drinks industry to partake in true recycling - i.e. return and re-use bottles.
    Well they probably charge the punter 10 times the cost price for soft drinks in bottles so it's more meanness than economic necessity.

Advertisement