Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options
  • 06-05-2014 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

305967.jpg

Welcome to the by now legendary DCM Mentored Novices Thread for 2014 and I am your host, Ososlo :D

History of this thread:
    There have been 5 legs of the DCM Mentored Novices Thread starting in 2009 when Amadeus kickstarted as the first mentor. He passed the baton in 2010 to rainbow kirby who in turn passed it into the trusty hands of Raycun in 2011. 2012 saw Younganne taking the lead with a huge group of runners behind her and passed the baton to career_move who sprinted ahead like lightening to take the novices to the 2013 DCM. The baton hasn’t been dropped yet and the mentors and novices haven’t stepped out of their lanes so let’s hope we continue to surge ahead in the same vein for the 6th leg for DCM 2014!

Who is this thread for and what happens on this thread:
    If you are doing Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, then this thread is especially for you. If you are a little more experienced having already done a marathon, you are also welcome to join in the fun.We have two possible training plans for you to follow and we are here to guide you in your training. This forum encourages discussion about all aspects of your training and we are lucky to have a plethora of experienced runners and expert on running technicalities available to answer your questions so don’t be afraid to ask any about anything you like, no matter how stupid you think it might sound. We are here to help:) You are also invited to keep track of your mileage from June 23rd until DCM on the Google Doc tracker sheet linked to at the bottom of this post.

Should you do DCM this year:
    To run DCM this year, ideally you'll currently be running a few days a week at this stage, be able to comfortably run 20 miles per week by the time the plan starts on June 23rd and you will have been running at least a year. However, if you're not currently at that level, but feel you can get comfortably up to running 20 miles per week by June 23rd then this thread is for you too. You might be fit from other sports and be able to get up to speed quickly enough.
    If you want to do DCM this year but you would struggle to get up to 20 miles per week comfortably by the end of June and you're not very fit, then you should strongly consider putting it off for another year. Yes you will still be able to complete a marathon on October 27th, but as this is a running forum we want all the novices to attempt to fully run their first marathon or at least the majority of it.
    Look ahead at the schedule for the 18 weeks. Have you many social events which might impinge on getting your long runs done at the weekends? It might be ok to miss one, but you really don't want to be missing more than that, so can you fit them in around your busy lifestyle? If the answer is yes and you're willing to make some sacrifices to get them done then you'll be fine.
    Running a marathon is a fantastic goal to have but you must be prepared for it. Anyone can complete a marathon but not everyone can run one from start to finish at a good (it’s all relative) pace. To run a successful marathon you should be committed to your training and take it seriously whilst enjoying it. The key to this is to follow a plan and train smart.

Some Golden Rules for Marathon Training:

• Follow a plan and stick to the plan. You can use one here or any other one, but follow a plan
    • Don’t miss runs (especially your weekly long run which is integral to the build up to the marathon)
    • Don’t make up for missed training as this is a recipe for injury and/or illness
    • Don’t run on an injury or ignore a constant niggle and don’t run when sick and seek professional help about your problems sooner rather than later. If there is something abnormal going on with your body during training, seek professional help
    • Prepare and practice in every way you can so that there is very little element of surprise on the day
    • Run your training runs at the correct paces (see my next post on Training Paces)
    • If you want to set yourself a goal time for DCM, ensure it is a realistic and fairly conservative goal. You are entering unknown territory on your first marathon. Look at Mo in London this year! He can shoot for the stars in his second marathon but he shouldn’t have been so hard on himself for his first! Don't be over-ambitious. You don’t want to be saying ‘never again’ on the finish line.
    • Don’t rely on McMillan calculators or other calculators for determining your marathon goal. Yes it may work for a few but not for the majority

·Take your training seriously and commit to it whilst enjoying it!

Special Ososlo Tip! Set yourself a secondary goal for the year or plan something else to look forward to in the Autumn. The reality is that not everyone who signs up to this thread is going to make the start line. A few will get sick, a few will get injured for whatever reason or life might just simply get in the way. Therefore, I advise everyone to think about a secondary goal this year if DCM does not happen for you this year, be it a marathon later in the year, a half marathon, a 10k, a holiday or a dirty weekend-away to look forward to later in the year;)

A little about your mentor
      I ran DCM last year as my first and only marathon and I had a good training period in the lead up, had no injuries in training, ran the whole thing without stopping on the day and enjoyed myself. I did have a small blip on the startline where my tfl started hurting me out of nowhere so I couldn’t run to my planned marathon pace (pmp) on the day but I remembered the advice that I had heard a billion times here and that was to ENJOY the experience of your first and not worry about a time. I slowed down to my jogging/lsr pace and lapped up the cheering from the crowds and as I was jogging up Roebuck Hill, my leg miraculously stopped hurting so I passed people from there until the end with a smile on my face and could have run another few miles at the end which shows that I had built up a good aerobic base of endurance due to running lots and lots of very slow miles. I had planned and trained to run at 4:10 pace but jogged around at my lsr pace in 4:34. My tale goes to show that no matter how prepared you are (and believe me I was VERY prepared for DCM), anything can happen right up until and during the last minute. So be prepared to re-evaluate your goal at all times.
      So I have a certain amount of useful advice to impart to you all but am still very much a novice myself, however, luckily there are far more experienced runners than me on here who will be helpful to you in different aspects of marathon training. I also have a team of back-room advisors:cool: ready to jump in and help you all out too (especially the faster novices) and lots of other boardsies and last years novices will share their advice and experiences also. It really is a Boards.ie Athletics/Running Forum group effort. I’m co-ordinating the effort and will share my limited knowledge.

Pre-Marathon Plan this plan will bring you up to 20 miles a week by June 23rd when our marathon plan starts. Jump in on the appropriate week if you wish. Alternatively, continue with your current training as you might already be running more miles than what's required for the start of our Marathon Training Plans so no need to decrease your current mileage. Remember: Miles make champions:D

THE PLANS FOR 2014:
    The plans we will be using will be Hal Higdon Novice 1 and for slightly more experienced runners, the 2014 Boards Plan which is based on career_move’s super plan from 2013 with some minor adjustments made by myself and approved by the mods. You can use one of these plans or any other plan as long as it involves mostly running!

Hal Higdon Novice 1 Training Plan:
    A tried and tested plan for novice marathon runners. It’s a simple plan to follow and many Boardsies have followed this plan over the years with great success. All runs in this plan are done at the same pace, which is a pace that should feel very comfortable and you should be able to chat while running (to yourself or your running buddy!). If you can’t chat while running then you’re running too fast. Slow down. If you’re not enjoying the majority of your training runs, you’re probably running them too fast. Slow down! Please see my next post with more detailed infoarmtion about why you should be running slowly most of the time.

Boards 2014 Training Plan:
    Includes a little bit of speedwork and marathon pace running. The changes to last year just include some warm up and cool down miles for the sessions and races. Everything else is pretty much the same and many novices followed this plan with much success last year. Please see my next post with more detailed information about paces to run for each of the specific runs.

So, if you’re on board for DCM this year or just thinking about it still, please jump in and answer the following so we can get an idea of where you are with your training currently and get the chatting underway:

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • How many days a week can you train?
    • Why are you running this marathon?

To conclude
      They say, everyone has 5 minutes of fame. Running DCM makes you feel like you are a superstar for hours with the crowds cheering you on in adoration shouting your name (it’ll be on your bib!) You are in for the most special experience of your life. And I’m very jealous! Enjoy the ride ;)run

Index of useful posts and links to useful sites:
      Here is an list of useful websites and past threads which I thought might be handy to have on the main page for easy access. The list covers some of the key topics that frequently arise in discussion on the novices' thread. I have pilfered posts and ideas all around me from other boardsies so if you’ve not been credited as being the owner of the post then apologies in advance and please don’t sue me:o There’s no need for me to re-invent the wheel as it’s all been said so well by you all before!

I hope (with the assistance of the mods) to be able to keep this list updated and add to it as other popular topics/useful websites come to my attention.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Training pace guide

Each year on the Novices' thread there are frequent questions from novices about training paces. Here is a guide to pacing for different types of runs and some explanations as to why you should run at these paces

Hal Higdon Plan: Training Paces
    If you’re following the Hal Higdon Plan, then all the runs are done at the same pace. They should be done at a comfortable pace so that if you’re running with someone else, you can hold a conversation without getting breathless. When you set out to do your long slow run, imagine you have to hold that pace for hours of running so start out at a very very easy pace that you feel you can sustain. It's better to start out very slowly on these runs and finish strong rather than starting out too fast and having to slow as the run progresses.

Boards Novices’ Plan: Training Paces

If you’re following the Boards 2014 Novices’ Plan, there are varying paces to your training runs.

Recovery Days
    On your recovery days you can either take a complete rest day or have an ‘active’ recovery day where you do another sport or you can do a very gentle jog, even slower than your easy runs, so slow that you wonder is it worth putting on your running shoes for. I do these recovery runs 3-4mins per mile slower than my 5k race pace or slower. I wouldn’t recommend running on your recovery days unless you’re currently running 5 days a week very comfortably. If you're currently running 5 days comfortably, you could add in a 6th day and see how you get on for a few weeks. Drop it if you're feeling tired.
    If you do run on your recovery days, don't run more than 35-40 mins.

• Real benefits of recovery runs
    • Boards discussion on why you should run recovery runs
    • And again
    • A fresh perspective on recovery runs

Long Slow Run (LSR)
      It is commonly recommended that the pace for your long runs should be 45 seconds to a 90 seconds slower than your current marathon pace. As you don't know your marathon pace, you can get a very general idea of what it might be by plugging in a recent race result to McMillan Running Calculator and going by the suggested training paces but McMillan is not very accurate for predicting first time marathoners' times so I would suggest that you run your lsrs at a pace that feel very comfortable. There really is no need to be clock watching for these runs. Just set out at a pace you feel you could sustain for a few hours and ensure your breathing is not laboured and you could chat with a running buddy. If you do want to use McMillan to work out your lsr pace, run to higher (slower) end of his suggestions.

What the long run does for you:
      ·Expands muscles’ glycogen storing capacity
      ·Trains muscles to run efficiently on fat, sparing gylcogen
      ·Enhances the nervous system's ability to recruit muscle fibers
      ·Improves the oxygen delivery system
      ·Strengthens muscles in the legs, feet and ankles
      ·Teaches patience and pacing
      ·
      Inoculates the mind against fatigue and discomfort

For the novice marathoner (unless you’re Mo Farah etc;)), speed isn’t important. Time on your feet is. If you run too fast, you’ll be too tired to complete your other runs properly. Don’t gauge your long run pace by your marathon goal time. Keep it at conversational pace. Your first few long runs may make you feel wiped out if you’re new to this game.
      When you’re training the physiological benefits from running kick in around 90-120 minutes, no matter how fast you run. By running slower you'll burn more calories and trigger glycogen regenesis, teaching your muscles to conserve fuel. Running too fast defeats this purpose and may unnecessarily tear down your muscles, compromising not only your midweek workouts, but the following week's long run. Save your fast running for the marathon itself.

Easy Runs– these should be done at a comfortable pace, like your lsr pace. Basically, your breathing should be relaxed and only slightly quicker than normal. The function of these runs is to build up the muscle fibres without causing too much stress

Pace Runs– these are done at your (realistic, not aspirational) planned marathon pace (PMP). Again you can use McMillan to work out your current marathon pace by plugging in a recent race result but note that McMillan is not always very accurate at working out marathon pace for novice marathon runners. Don't be afraid to run a bit slower than your predicted pace. You should feel like you're working a little harder than during your lsr but you should still be able to talk in short sentences and it should be a pace you feel you can sustain for a long duration. It's better to start out very slow and pick it up a bit as you warm up rather than starting too fast and having to slow down. Do a mile very slowly to warm up and the same to cool down at the end rather than just stopping to a halt.

5 x 100 metre strides
      For 100m strides, accelerate until you're running at 80-90% effort. Hold that pace for about 100 metres (count to 15 in your head, should be close enough). When you are running, try to focus on maintaining good running form - keep your upper body relaxed, your back straight and head up, your arms pumping forward and back, not side to side. Don't stop dead after the 100m, just relax back down to your regular pace.

Do your first 100m strides after about a mile of running at your regular, easy pace. Wait until your breathing has recovered and you're running easily before doing your second set. Pick a flatish stretch of road or path where you'll have a clear run when you start each set.

This should help improve your running form, making you more efficient and saving you energy on longer distance runs.
    • Link to Boards discussion on strides

Hill Sprints
      Ideally you will find a hill near the end of your run, but if it is in the middle of the run it is no problem. The hill needs to be steep but not very long. The effort of this should be similar to strides (i.e. not flat out), but you should power up the hill concentrating on form.

The sprints themselves should be 6 x 10-15 seconds (as I said the hill does not need to be long) and the recovery is jogging back down the hill. You should do these without stopping. If you have to stop you are doing them too hard.
    • Link to Boards discussion on hill sprints

Rest - is an important component of this or any training program. Scientists will tell you that it is during the rest period (the 24 to 72 hours between hard bouts of exercise) that the muscles actually regenerate and get stronger. You can't run hard unless you are well rested. And it is hard running (such as the long runs) that allows you to improve. If you're constantly fatigued, you won’t improve as quickly as you should and you will be more likely to get injured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Feck sake Ososlo sure they will have nothing left to ask!!!! Only joking, fair play, great info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Best of luck to everyone that sets out on this tough but epic journey. You are in great hands here with Ososlo and will all be AIS advocates in the months ahead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the mentoring, novices ye are in safe hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck with your mentorship, they're in great hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Nice one Ososlo, delighted you are mentoring. I fully intend to run the DCM so will need all the help I can get! :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Only races of note: 10 miles 90mins, 5K 23:38

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No not really...

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 20 - 30 miles all running. 4-5 days per week. Up to 13km runs now, enjoying the LSRs

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Under 4 hours and having a laugh or two would be good.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5 days.

Why are you running this marathon? I have no idea, mostly seething jealousy from standing outside the Shelbourne Hotel last year waiting on my brother.

Roll on October, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Best of luck one and all, you are in very capable hands. If you happen to stumble across this thread and it plants the slightest of seeds, do not be afraid to go for it.

This time last year I could have counted the amount of runs I'd done year to date on one hand. Yet, I came across the 13 thread, learned a great pile, stuck to the plan and comfortably finished a marathon :eek:

Listen to the advise give here and stick to the plan yourself and you will have one of the most memorable days of your life come the end of October.

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Nice one Ososlo, delighted you are mentoring. I fully intend to run the DCM so will need all the help I can get! :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Only races of note: 10 miles 90mins, 5K 23:38

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No not really...

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 20 - 30 miles all running. 4-5 days per week. Up to 13km runs now, enjoying the LSRs

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Under 4 hours and having a laugh or two would be good.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5 days.

Why are you running this marathon? I have no idea, mostly seething jealousy from standing outside the Shelbourne Hotel last year waiting on my brother.

Roll on October, can't wait!
    Great to have you on board SeanPuddin and congrats on being the first novice on the thread:D I enjoy following your log.
    You are really well set up for DCM from following your log and from the above info and one of your reasons for wanting to do DCM was one of mine also last year! Jealousy is a great motivator:D You have a great attitude:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

A top mentor if ever there was one, Lets hope there isn't a coup like last year :D:D

Best of luck to all the novices this year. It sure is a rollercoaster of emotion. There'll be highs, and yes, there may be lows, but it will be one of the best experiences of you life. Getting to the start line is half the fun and ye can bounce yer ideas and feeling off each other in here.
    Any messing and Ososlo will crack the whip :D

Good luck all, if there's ANY thought of running DCM in your head, just go for it. As a wise woman once said "Procrastination is the thief of time" :)

I'll be popping in here to relive the memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Best of luck guys. I love this thread. The camaraderie, the support, sharing the highs and lows. It becomes like your little Dublin marathon family. Enjoy the ride :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's some big opening Ososlo! Great work, I can see this year's novices are in good hands :)
    This thread will be a fantastic resource for anyone running this year, I'm sure you'll all love it. And to echo what Ososlo said above - take your runs easy, set yourself a conservative target for your first marathon, it's longer and harder than you think, but if you aim to enjoy it you can have a fantastic day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Best of luck O.

Without doubt the dcm 14 novices are in very safe hands. This is one thread I am very much looking forward to following over the next six months...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice thread opening! I remember using this thread *a lot* while training for my first marathon, it will prove to be a veritable treasure trove of information. My favourite tip at the time came about 10 days before the big day and that was to clip your toenails at least a week before the day. Such a small thing, but vitally important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

have been keeping an eye out for this thread, having said no way hose so many times when asked if I'd run a marathon some switch has gone off in my brain and I've decided to give it a shot - eek!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Griffeen Park run 5K April 26th - 26.46 (trying for 25)
    Clontarf 10 mile April 2014 - 1.36
    Carlingford Half Marathon 1st March - 2.12
    Blessington lakes 10K Sept 2013 - 59:32 (doing maynooth 10k in 2 weeks and hoping to bring this down to 56)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do) No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. Currently run 3 days a week, one interval session, one longer weekend run & one slow run, mileage aprox 15 per week, cross training is walking & yoga - I walk twice a day total of 4 miles and do yoga 3 times per week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Ideally would like to finish in 4:30, not sure if that's realistic or dreaming...edit: just looked at mcmillan calculator & its definitely dreaming, I should be looking more at 4.50 which is not what I wanted to consider..
    How many days a week can you train? 4-5
    Why are you running this marathon? I think I'd regret it if I didn't give it a shot, have been running a few years now and really enjoy taking on each new challenge, running makes me feel great so why not take it to the next level.

Mileage is very low at the mo but I'm good at sticking to training plans so will bring that right up now, I'm planning on one or maybe 2 days lunchtime runs which will help increase no of days.

Looking forward to reading every piece of advice, thanks Ososlo for mentoring :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Excellent opening post Ososlo! The 2014 Novices couldnt be in better hands! Good luck with the mentoring.

As a 2013 novice last year this thread was without a doubt the single best resource I had during my training......its an absolute goldmine of information to help prepare you for the Marathon and I also used it to arrange meet ups with some other Boardsies for LSR's later on in the year. Nothing helps pass the time on a 20miler like some good company!

So get involved, listen to the advice you're given, commit yourself to training (it is hard work, but you wouldnt be reading this thread if you didnt want to make that finish line) and ENJOY the experience. DCM 2013 was easily the highlight of my year last year. And I hope to be joining you all on the start line again this time around!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo, thanks for setting up the thread, great couple of first posts.
    I'll look forward to reading this throughout the next few months. I haven't settled on a plan yet but to be honest I think I'll run a higher mileage plan than the one posted above.

I ran 2 races in 2012, a 5k and an 8k. I didn't do much running other than those 2. Last year I decided to give running a proper go and ran a good few races while running 3-4 times per week.

PB's:

Distance|Race|Date|Time
    5K|Rathfarnham 5k|29/09/2013|23:46
    5 Mile|BHAA RTE 5 Mile|03/05/2014|39:08
    10K|Docklands 10K|20/06/2013|51:51
    10 Mile|Frank Duffy 10 Mile|24/08/2013|89:39
    Half Marathon| Race Series Half|21/09/2013|2:02:23

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently running 6 times per week, about 40 miles per week. That includes 1 long run (currently around 13 Miles), 1 Interval session, 1 Threshold or Tempo run and the rest easy paced stuff, sometime with strides built in.

I try to do a small bit of core work and strengthening (planks, squats,lunges etc) 2/3 times a week for 15 or 20 mins. Also doing a bit of foam rolling for injury prevention.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I want to finish the race and I'd like to finish with a feeling of "I could have gone a bit faster if I'd really gone for it" rather than "I was wrecked the last 5 miles , I wish I'd gone a bit slower at the start.

Times? Dream 3:30, realistic, 3:45-3:50, but certainly under 4.

How many days a week can you train?

6-7

Why are you running this marathon?

I don't know, mid life crisis I guess :eek:

Probably because I enjoy running and its a realistic but challenging goal and it's a distance that most people understand is quite difficult to complete. Mostly because it's the next step along in my progression and I seem to prefer the longer distances.

Firedance wrote: »
    have been keeping an eye out for this thread, having said no way hose so many times when asked if I'd run a marathon some switch has gone off in my brain and I've decided to give it a shot - eek!

Griffeen Park run 5K April 26th - 26.46 (trying for 25)
    Clontarf 10 mile April 2014 - 1.36
    Carlingford Half Marathon 1st March - 2.12
    Blessington lakes 10K Sept 2013 - 59:32 (doing maynooth 10k in 2 weeks and hoping to bring this down to 56)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do) No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. Currently run 3 days a week, one interval session, one longer weekend run & one slow run, mileage aprox 15 per week, cross training is walking & yoga - I walk twice a day total of 4 miles and do yoga 3 times per week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Ideally would like to finish in 4:30, not sure if that's realistic or dreaming...edit: just looked at mcmillan calculator & its definitely dreaming, I should be looking more at 4.50 which is not what I wanted to consider..
    How many days a week can you train? 4-5
    Why are you running this marathon? I think I'd regret it if I didn't give it a shot, have been running a few years now and really enjoy taking on each new challenge, running makes me feel great so why not take it to the next level.

Mileage is very low at the mo but I'm good at sticking to training plans so will bring that right up now, I'm planning on one or maybe 2 days lunchtime runs which will help increase no of days.

Looking forward to reading every piece of advice, thanks Ososlo for mentoring :-)

Welcome on board Firedance:D
    You seem nicely set up for the start of a plan by just increasing a little each week very gradually. Great to have a half under your belt too and your other times are coming down nicely. Great progression:D
    Spend some time looking over different plans to see what might suit you best.
    You have loads more time to improve between now and October so don't get too caught up with looking at a goal time at this stage, but I don't see any reason why you can't look towards a 4:30ish marathon if your training continues to go well. You'll have a much better idea of what you might be capable of if you do a half marathon in August/September.
    Main thing is stay positive:)

adrian522 wrote: »
    Ososlo, thanks for setting up the thread, great couple of first posts.
    I'll look forward to reading this throughout the next few months. I haven't settled on a plan yet but to be honest I think I'll run a higher mileage plan than the one posted above.

I ran 2 races in 2012, a 5k and an 8k. I didn't do much running other than those 2. Last year I decided to give running a proper go and ran a good few races while running 3-4 times per week.

PB's:

Distance|Race|Date|Time
    5K|Rathfarnham 5k|29/09/2013|23:46
    5 Mile|BHAA RTE 5 Mile|03/05/2014|39:08
    10K|Docklands 10K|20/06/2013|51:51
    10 Mile|Frank Duffy 10 Mile|24/08/2013|89:39
    Half Marathon| Race Series Half|21/09/2013|2:02:23

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently running 6 times per week, about 40 miles per week. That includes 1 long run (currently around 13 Miles), 1 Interval session, 1 Threshold or Tempo run and the rest easy paced stuff, sometime with strides built in.

I try to do a small bit of core work and strengthening (planks, squats,lunges etc) 2/3 times a week for 15 or 20 mins. Also doing a bit of foam rolling for injury prevention.

I want to finish the race and I'd like to finish with a feeling of "I could have gone a bit faster if I'd really gone for it" rather than "I was wrecked the last 5 miles , I wish I'd gone a bit slower at the start.

Times? Dream 3:30, realistic, 3:45-3:50, but certainly under 4.

6-7

I don't know, mid life crisis I guess :eek:

Probably because I enjoy running and its a realistic but challenging goal and it's a distance that most people understand is quite difficult to complete. Mostly because it's the next step along in my progression and I seem to prefer the longer distances.

Hey adrian522 and great to have you with us!
    I agree that a different plan to the one here would suit you better as you want to be progressing from where you're at with your current training. That high mileage base will really stand to you come October.
    I didn't follow the main plan here either last year but still found the thread to be invaluable for advice. Keep that log going and if you need any help with choosing a plan I'm sure someone experienced here will be able to help you out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hey adrian522 and great to have you with us!
    I agree that a different plan to the one here would suit you better as you want to be progressing from where you're at with your current training. That high mileage base will really stand to you come October.
    I didn't follow the main plan here either last year but still found the thread to be invaluable for advice. Keep that log going and if you need any help with choosing a plan I'm sure someone experienced here will be able to help you out.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be posting lots of questions here anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

PB's:

Distance|Race|Date|Time
    5K|Parkrun 5k|23/11/2013|25:53

10K|Run in the Dark 10K|23/11/2013|56:39

Half Marathon| Race Series Half|07/12/2013|2:27:23

Not usually but some days just get overwhelming

Currently running 3/4 times per week, about 15 miles per week.

Times? Dream 4:30, realistic, 5:00

4-5

Packed in the GAA so gotta have something to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »
    Welcome on board Firedance:D
    You seem nicely set up for the start of a plan by just increasing a little each week very gradually. Great to have a half under your belt too and your other times are coming down nicely. Great progression:D
    Spend some time looking over different plans to see what might suit you best.
    You have loads more time to improve between now and October so don't get too caught up with looking at a goal time at this stage, but I don't see any reason why you can't look towards a 4:30ish marathon if your training continues to go well. You'll have a much better idea of what you might be capable of if you do a half marathon in August/September.
    Main thing is stay positive:)

Thanks! plan is to work hard and from reading all the blogs & posts here if you put the work in you should see the results... with that in mind I'm leaning more towards the boards novices plan, it looks like more milage overall and I like the mix of run types.

My first question - I've just joined a running club, they have 2 training nights and one of them seems to be intervals - when the time comes in June, should i stay away from them altogether and stick rigidly to the plan? (last night we did 12 x 80sec sprints @5K pace with 40 sec breaks)

slingerz wrote: »

Not usually but some days just get overwhelming

Packed in the GAA so gotta have something to do
    Welcome slingerz:D
    You'll do great as you're getting stuck in nice and early and will have no bother getting up to speed with the plan by June 23rd. Be careful increasing the distances and just add on a little each week between now and then.
    If you're finding it overwhelming, you might be running just a little too fast so just try slowing it down on your next few runs and see how you get on. It'll serve you better to increase the distance and not the speed between now and the plan.
    Best of luck and running is much more fun than GAA;) Good move:cool:

Firedance wrote: »
    Thanks! plan is to work hard and from reading all the blogs & posts here if you put the work in you should see the results... with that in mind I'm leaning more towards the boards novices plan, it looks like more milage overall and I like the mix of run types.

My first question - I've just joined a running club, they have 2 training nights and one of them seems to be intervals - when the time comes in June, should i stay away from them altogether and stick rigidly to the plan? (last night we did 12 x 80sec sprints @5K pace with 40 sec breaks)
    general consensus would be that running with a club will bring you on much more than running on your own so I would suggest doing the interval session during the plan but drop whatever session type run we have in the plan that week. Don't drop your long run though. If anyone has a different opinion please jump in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Presumably the club will have their own marathon training group when the time comes? Might be best to just jump in with their sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

The 2014 novices are in great hand, you can't go wrong with Ososlo:) Loved this thread and the whole journey last year... savour every moment and take heed of all advise, you only get one 1st marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Congratulations on being promoted to this years whip-cracker Ososlo (now THERE'S a mental image). You're absolutely the right choice - I said it months ago - and you're doing a brilliant job already.

It looks very busy work at times so make sure it doesn't get in the way of your own training schedule.

This is the best, most interesting thread of the year. I was at a bit of a loose end last November when the 2013 thread died away. Looking forward to keeping up to date on this years thread every day for another 6 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Being on the look-out for this thread to start so delighted it has begun.

I have ran about 10 to 12 10k races and approx 6 5k races since i took up running in Sept 2012.
    PB-- Knockmore 10k 44.56
    crossmolina 5k 22.30

No. Not usually.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training -

One long run Approx 8 miles minimum, one tempo and a easy session. I also try and do a 1hr circuit class a week. Also do my own core work at home. 20 mins every second day.

To finish DCM. would love to run a sub 4hr marathon.

3 to 4 days per week.

I have to prove to myself i can acheive something i never thought i could.

NB. Currently struggling with an IT band injury. Taking it easy for a few weeks and doing plenty of foam rolling,stretching,icing and rubbing. It seems to be improving but i'm not going to rush it.Still doing a small bit of running. Up to the point were i feel pain. Distance is increseing. Now where is that icepack.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Have been checking the training logs daily for the last while waiting on this thread :) Never post here(apart from last week!) but have been lurking since I took up running about 18 months ago. Was half tempted to do the marathon last year but did the Athlone half last September and nearly died so said id leave it til this year and be well prepared! Not sure what plan im going to follow but going on advice I got here last week I might try increase my LSR to about 15 miles until I start some sort of 18 week plan.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k, Griffeen parkrun about 5 months ago - 20:10
    Thelakes10k September 2013 - 43:19
    Wexford half marathon April 28th 24 - 1:33

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No.

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Just finished training for the half so a typical week in the lead up to that was: Monday boxercise, Tuesday 10k tempo run, Wednesday easy 5k, Thursday 8k hill run, Friday rest, Saturday long run built up to 20k, Sunday rest.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream finishing time is under 3:30 but would be delighted with anything under 3:45. Not really too worried about time but if I beat 4:12 I win €20 off a friend so would hope to win that :)

•How many days a week can you train?
    5 or 6

•Why are you running this marathon?
    Not something I grew up wanting to do but since I got into running Ive really wanted to do one. See how I get on but hopefully wont be my last!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Have been waiting for this thread, got really excited when I saw it.

Thanks to Ososlo for an excellent opening post!

Male, 44, stopped smoking 2 years ago and started running.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    PB's:

5K Parkrun 5k 19/4/2014 22:37
    10K Samsung Night Run 51:20

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No.

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently running 3/4 times per week, about 25 miles per week.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I would be delighted to finish without stopping to walk.

Times? Dream 4:15, realistic 4:45

4-5

Because I never dreamed I would be ever able to.

• Advertisement

noler123 wrote: »
    Dream finishing time is under 3:30 but would be delighted with anything under 3:45. Not really too worried about time but if I beat 4:12 I win €20 off a friend so would hope to win that :)

5 or 6

Not something I grew up wanting to do but since I got into running Ive really wanted to do one. See how I get on but hopefully wont be my last!

Hi noler123:) Impressive times for someone who's only running 18 months!
    I think you'll safely win that bet;) Welcome on board!

Advertisement