Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options
  • 12-03-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

I have been waiting for this and it is with great honour and some trepidation that I appear to be the first hopeful novice marathon finisher in Dublin to join the 2013 thread.

I am new to running. Started training at the end of June 2012. Built up slowly and gradually with some injury issues along the way.

To the questions:

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have completed my first 2 races;
    - 8.8K cross country on Feb 23 2013 in 48 minutes
    - 10K road race on March 10th 2013 in 52 minutes

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    - No (not over 10K at least)

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - Currently, I run 10K three times a week. Will increase to 11K on my next run. Will also increase to four sessions a week. I don't do enough cross-training

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time ?
    - The dream is to whizz past those darn Kenyan’s and win the race :D. But seriously, I'm undecided if I will do it at this point. My dream finish time is sub 4.5 hours. It's too early for me to know what's realistic.

•How many days a week can you train ?
    - Probably 4 - it's easier for me in the summer.

•Why are you running this marathon ?
    - Many reasons;
    .........Coz I've been saying for too many years that I'll do it SOME DAY - I always said I'd do it before I turn 40. And 2013 is the last one before that (holy cow!!:D)
    .........Coz I have gone 10 years with no real regular physical activity which is ridiculous
    .........Coz I now have a son who I want to encourage to be physically fit and active and I can't do that if I'm a fat slob myself
    .........Coz I need to de-stress and find something new to focus on

My own log is a pretty comprehensive explanation of what my starting point was and where I have got to today.

I don't know how this is gonna go. But thanks in advance for the encouragement and support I know I will get from you all. And I hope I can give some back to others too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Count me in again this year.

Have unfinished business from last year as I had to pull out due to injury.

PBs 10 mile 71.41 ballycotton march 2013, 10k 42.53 Samsung race April 2012, 5 mile 33.35 bhaa dunboyne may 2012 and 5k 20.14 bhaa irishtown June 2012.

Only recently back training after my injury, currently running 35- 40 miles a week. 2 club sessions, 2 easy runs and 1 lsr. Crosstraining consists of 18 miles round trip cycling to work. I also do some gym work a couple of times a week.

Target time is an ambitious 3.20 eek.. May have to adjust that later.

Motivation is coming from missing out on last years race because of injury, have to get this marathon out of my system before I'm too old haha

By the way, PM is a good man for the job. He put so much into last years thread. Fellow novices are in good hands with the team behind this years thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Howdy folks,

I made it as far as the last scheduled taper run in 2012, and even went to the Expo in the RDS.. but alas had to drop out at the 11th hour. Nasty groin strain stopped me in my tracks after all my hard work :(

So this year, I'm trying again. My fitness level is still reasonable, and so far, no sign of any problems in the last couple of months.

Looking forward to getting back into some serious training, and all the ups and downs that go with it.. though can't say I'm particularly looking forward to the gruelling 20mile runs later in the year..

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beebie

Big respect to the Mentors this year, i followed the Novice Thread last year, a mate of mine ran the DCM and i cycled with him all the way, handing out chocolates!!! I think its the lessons learned/flaws that make the journey more interesting, that will and determination to get up and try again and push yourself harder. To me that's a runner, irrespective of PB/finishing times.
    Me,am a newbie, just running a year/although still don't feel i deserve title of runner, have done a few races, about 10 min mile pace, so very slow in comparison to anyone in this thread. I don't know will i ever do a marathon but i did sign up for the Rock n Roll 1/2 this year. Am about 1/2 way there, in that long runs are nearly 6.5 miles, but pace is fairly similar for short also. Not interested in speed, i took up running as a life style, to feel good about myself, to improve mental well being, to beat bouts of depression....do i enjoy it, yeah at this stage I miss it if i dont get out, is it easy no, but the rewards are priceless to me. Never felt so good in my life but still have work to do. Loved following ye folks last year, ye were inspirational, im only at the beginning of my journey, but its the journey im interested in, not the destination, i hope to continue this to a ripe old age....am 42 now so a late started. I have learned more through injury than if I was a brilliant runner. I will continue to lurk on this thread as don't feel i qualify to contribute as not actually running the DCM. As you say we have the experienced runners plans to train by, its personal individuals experienced i find invaluable........just to say 'thanks' to you all. Happy Days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I don't think I count as a running novice having completed a few races in the last 4 years but I'm still yet to run a marathon or even train properly for one.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Race Series 2012:
    5 mile: 32 min 06 sec
    Half Marathon: 91 min 08 sec

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

- Just getting back into running now since before christmas, I've been doing two 8k runs a week, two football trainings during the week and then one or two matches at the weekend. I've also been going to the gym twice a week, not sure how compatible lifting weights are with long distance running though.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time ?

- Dublin marathon: My goal is to get under 3 hrs and 30 min but if training is going well I'd love to get under 3 hrs and 15 min.
    - Half marathon: Get under 90 min and as close to 85 min
    - I've ran the race series 5 mile 3 times now, 34:13, 33:29 and 32:06 so I would love to get under 30 mins this year, probably too ambitious but I might as well set the bar high.
    - 5k, 10k and 10 mile: I hope to run all these this year for the first time.

- 2-3 days a week until June and then hopefully 3-4 times a week.

- Since I started running 4 years ago it's been a goal of mine.
    - I want to get faster in the shorter distances but training for the marathon will hopefully improve my 5k, 8k and 10k times

• Reservations.
    Last year football got in the way after I did the half marathon, I'd important matches each week which meant I couldn't get out running enough so I ended up throwing in the towel. Maybe that will happen again this year but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So I suppose what I'm hoping for by joining this thread is advice on a running plan so I'm not just out running mindlessly and encouragement so by the end of October I'll have completed my first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Hi all glad to be part of the 2013 novice tread, running over a year now did my first half last year and decided to wait and do DCM 2013

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k Golden Sands 27:01
    Dublin Half Marathon 2:31:31

Bohermeen AC Half Marathon 1:59:10

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    Nope

Currently doing 5 days a week for Boyne 10k, I also cycle to work each day.
    Will be doing gym once a week and swimming

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time ?
    Complete a full marathon as part of my goals this year.
    Dream time under 4 hours, realistic 4:30ish.

Could do about 4-5 days

I always wanted to complete a marathon, ever since my mam started doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

This thread has popped up earlier than expected which is good will give me motivation to get out and run more.

5km = 22:30
    10km = 49.26

These were from last year.

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Took a break (lazyiness kicked in) in jan and feb so just back running at the start of march.Currently running 3-4 times a week alternating between 5 and 10km with the odd 10 miler and odd i mean one.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time ?

Dream time sub 3.30 at the minute realistic finish will be sub 4 but not too pushed just want to finish

How many days a week can you train ?

4-5

Why are you running this marathon ?

Its been on my bucket list for a long time. Time to take it off

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

Great to see this back again ,took up running 4 years ago to loose a bit of weight (after quitting the fags)and followed this thread in 2011, ran the Dublin marathon in 4.51 ,missed last year due to lack of time, but did the race series 10km 53 mins,10mile 93 mins 1/2 marathon in 2hours 2 mins ,so going to give the marathon a go again this year and would love to do under 4.30.Currently run 3 times a week 5km 8km and 12km and cycle to work 4 days a week 21km per day .Plan To do The Great Ireland 10km and The Samsung Dublin Night race At The moment.Good Luck with The thread ,This Will be my go to page for the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

Hi everyone, I'm in. I was a lurker last year and read with interest and learned a lot. I had quit my 20 a day smoking habit in march (just had my one year anniversary there!) and got stuck in running. I had trained right up to the 18 mile lsr , got injured and then everything else fell apart as my dad got sick and passed away just before the marathon.

Im 32, female and a plodder. Im just getting back on my feet again as i didnt run for a long while after and Ive signed up to the wicklow half and the burren marathon in may. I hope to do Dublin aswell this year. Im up to 10 mile lsr and will do 12 this weekend

10k GIR April 12: 58mins 24secs
    Half-marathon race series sept 12: 2hrs 20mins

- No

running 3 days per week, hot yoga twice a week, tennis occasionally

i know the training for the burren has been sparse so i really just want to go to savour the beautiful scenery, its supposed to be fairly tough terrain so if i get in under 5 hours ill be happy. With a bit of experience then, Id like to go faster for dublin
    - 3-4
    For fitness, madness, to tick it off the list, to know i can do it, to achieve the dream that i quit smoking for.

Best of luck to everyone here - its a rocky road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Started running properly last May following the couch to 5K programme and just ran my 1st half two weeks ago, Im not fast by any means so the go slow mantra will suit me down to the ground!

So for some background info...

Bohermeen Half March 2013: 2:14.09 PB
    North Kildare 5km Sept 2012: 27.47 PB
    The Lakes 10Km Sept 2012: 1:02.51
    Womens Mini Marathon 2010: 59.31 PB

Nope

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level
    Was doing 3 5km runs at lunch during the week and LSR at the weekend when training for the Bohermeen half, longest training run was 12mile.
    Also go cycling on a Saturday, usually about 30km, plan on doing the Ring of Kerry cycle in July so distance will be increasing also.
    My foot wasnt right after the bohermeen half so havnt ran since, will test it out at the weekend, feels better now!

Dream time would be 4:29:59 but Id be happy to come in under 5!

How many days a week can you train ?
    4-5, work can be a bit mental hours wise and I have a decent commute so will just have to learn to get up early, weekends are my own though so the longs runs wont be a problem.

Why are you running this marathon ?
    Guess for that feeling of accomplishment, just to prove I can!!

What distance should I stick to for my LSR from now on? I was thinking of just alternating between 8mile, 10mile, 12miles but Im open to suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

For those of you who are unaware, recently there was a successful coup d’etat on this year's novices thread. The Messiah was crucified*and I have been installed to mentor rule in his stead biggrin.pngIf there are any issues with this arrangement my people are on hand to see they get sorted

*but he will rise from the ashes and run again!

Ok down to business:

Once upon a time...….

--amadeus—started the first mentored thread to guide novices through their training for DCM 2009. One of the runners that year, Rainbow Kirby, was the mentor in 2010. Raycun was one of her novices and he mentored the 2011 thread. And in 2012 Younganne had the delightful job of guiding the most enthusiastic group of novices yet to DCM glory. So now the mantle has passed to me and I hope to be able to offer the same amount of support and camaraderie that I experienced last year biggrin.png

Caveat Lector:
    Marathon training is HARD. You have to be insane to even think about doing it eek.png Covering 26.2 miles continuously, at a good any pace is not easy. You need to be fairly healthy so it's a good idea to get a medical check up done before starting the training. You will also need to have a reasonable level of fitness before you start the 18 week plan on the 24th of June so that you can comfortably run 20 miles over 5 days in the first week.

Unfortunately every year there are casualties due to injury but the best way to avoid this is to have a good running base (ideally you should have been training at shorter distances for one to two years), to build up the mileage slowly and consistently and to vary your training programme so that you have 1 or 2 hard days a week and the rest all easy.

The more miles you put in when your training the less pain you'll suffer on marathon day.

Some of you will be able to meet up for group runs but for most people, you’ll be running on your own, in all sorts of weather for hours upon hours. You’ll chaff, blister and bleed like you never believed possible.

…….still interested?? Then read on...

Let's do the questions bit
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    • How many days a week can you train?
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    Training plans:

Hal higdon Novice 1 training plan was used on all of the other threads. The reasons being:
    • There is a steady buildup of miles through the weeks
    • There is an 18 mile run and a 20 mile run
    • The three back-to-back midweek runs will get you used to running on tired legs
    • There are step-back weeks to allow your body to recover strength
    • There is a defined taper period before the marathon
    However it’s very one paced and the mileage is very low (only one 20m run).

For a beginner’s programme, the good points outweigh the bad points. If you complete the training plan, you will complete the marathon. (All of the novices from previous years who made it to the start line doing this programme have finished the marathon) and the plan is easy to follow, with no complicated sessions to learn about.

Recently there has been a lot of criticism of the plan and for this reason in conjunction with some of the more experienced runners on boards I have come up with an alternative plan....The Boards " run Dublin like the roadrunner" Novice plan. You don’t have to follow this plan, there are a lot of alternatives out there. But whatever plan you follow (and I would urge you to follow some defined plan) make sure it follows the Hal higdon criteria above. And whatever plan you follow, you will need to do one long slow run (LSR) a week. Very soon that will become two, and then three hours for a single run, every week.

If you can’t make that kind of training commitment then this is probably not a good year for you to run a marathon.

This thread is open to anyone by the way. Most people will be running their first marathon, most will be running Dublin, and most will be aiming for a time slower than 3.50, but other people are welcome to join in and share in this amazing journey. If you need a plan to get you started so that you can join in the fun on Jun 24th here's one option.

I think it would be a great idea if everyone did a 5 - 10k race at some point in June before the plan starts. This will give a great indicator of your base line fitness. Running calender is a great place to look up races. If you can't find a suitable race then an individual time trial would be adequate as well. From there we can use the mcmillian calculator to determine the best running paces for each person.

And now as John Torode would say......LET'S cook RUN biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: All relevant posts from the original thread have now been added in. Apologies for these posts being a bit all over the place but they come in date order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck to all, prepare not only for the running, but for the obsessiveness to creep up on you, the change in nutrition, the way you start to look for any opportunity to run at the expense of most things!
    There are many people online here who have ran a few marathons and will give you any and all advice that you need.
    Best of luck to CM, you're in good hands here, despite her being an animal. Seriously. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to everyone embarking on their first marathon....its a wonderful, sometimes challenging journey but is worth it;)
    Ask any question that you want and you'll be guaranteed a response from someone here.
    You are in good hands so enjoy the ride...its gonna be a gud one!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Best of luck to all you 2013 novices - as someone who did it the right way for DCM12 (i.e. followed the novices thread and took the good advice from all quarters) having previously tried it the wrong way (i.e. took the wrong advice, tried to do too much too soon, got injured, got better & completed my 1st marathon in a less than glorious fashion :mad:), you can take it from me - the right way works and there is none better than Career_Move to guide you along the way.

Be aware that there are many training plans and many different opinions about the rights and wrongs of running a marathon but for beginners you can be confident that the plan that CM proposes using (as in previous years) will get you around in a manner that will leave you wanting more. When that happens you've become a junkie like the rest of us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I knew calling myself a messiah would bite me in the ass some day. Us messiahs don't have a great track record for public acceptance :D

Save me an Easter egg though. I will be back on Sunday.

Best of luck CM going forward with the thread. And congrats to Laois Man for being promoted to first poster of the new thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 youreaticket

Good to see this thread here. I'm slowly starting back into running. Not 100% sure if I'll actually do a marathon this year, but if I do it'll be Dublin. I'll see how it goes following the plan, and all being well I'll sign up later in the year. If not I'll be happy enough to wait till next year. I started running in 2008, did a few 10k's and the Dublin half marathon, but tore some ligaments in my knee and had to have an operation. I totally lost my running mojo for a while, and didn't really do much until this year again. Even then, I'm only getting out regularly for the last month or so.

10k 58.xx in 2008
    half marathon 1.59.xx also in 2008 (toughest run I have ever done. I left nothing behind me.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No, but I'm not really doing big miles yet, and going sloooow.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I'm currently getting out 3 or 4 times a week. Usually the weekend run is between 8 - 10k

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Dream would be under 4:30, realistically anything under 5 and I'd be happy enough.

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    I'll be 40 this year, so I want to mark the occasion in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck to all those thinking about, or who have already signed up to do DCM this year. It is a great experience and you are in great hands with Career Move as your mentor.

As she said, the sense of cameraderie on the thread is fantastic and I honestly I don't think I would have stuck with the training as much or ran the time I did if I didn't have mentored novice thread last year. The help and support is fantastic.

So best of luck, you are in for a great experience. If you're on the shelf about whether to do it or not, just do it! Yes it's tough going and the training can get hard, but once you cross that start line on Oct 28th, that all goes out the window. You won't regret it for a minute (although there is a strong risk of becoming obsessed) but it's a fun trip.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Woohoo it's back!!! Been very lazy with the bad weather of late, no excuse I know, now that the thread is open better get off my ass and run!

Glad to see this thread back up and running (no pun intended), i have a 10k next month and It's was suggested that I take a month off before training for DCM any advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Personally I wouldn't - I'd keep going at a reasonable level so that you're not starting from scratch but not such that you're taking a step back when you start your plan.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't - I'd keep going at a reasonable level so that you're not starting from scratch but not such that you're taking a step back when you start your plan.

That's what I would be afraid off, I always take a few days off after a race around 4, so If I just take that week off and do three days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Best of luck everyone. It is a great journey and so so worth it when you cross that finish line! You are in good hands with CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Congrats to Laois Man for being promoted to first poster of the new thread :P

No extra pressure to not fall flat on my face then eh! :eek:

Suddenly the slight ache I've been feeling in my lower back for the last week is starting to feel a whole lot worse! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Darren 83 wrote: »
    That's what I would be afraid off, I always take a few days off after a race around 4, so If I just take that week off and do three days a week?

Just keep doing what your doing at the minute, and start following the plan from 28th. The more miles you have in your legs the more it will stand to you on marathon day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

This is a super thread by Rom on how to create your own training log.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82326601

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well, I've been waiting for this thread to be reignited.. Right so, started running last June after giving up the smokes. My initial thinking was to keep running to give myself something to focus on besides ciggies and do the odd 8/10k to keep me motivated. Had no interest in anything longer.
    Where am I now? Well, slowly but surely finding a urge for the longer stuff where now I know I really want to do marathon distance :)

Let's do the questions bit –
    26th July'12 5km 26:03
    11th Aug '12 8km 42:08
    6th Oct'12 10km 52:34
    26th Dec'12 10km 48:07
    20th Jan '13 8km 37:11
    10th Feb '13 8km 38:30
    2nd March '13 Half 1:42:30

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    4 days a week usually. 3*11km 1*20km (approx, distance/Pace may vary)
    Got good advice here when starting but i'll admit i'm only lately putting some structure to my runs. (Pace to hard to often)
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    To early to nominate a time, but I want to finish knowing I had nothing left to give...
    How many days a week can you train?
    4-5
    Why are you running this marathon?
    As I said, the whole marathon thing caught up with me. Initially, had no interest, then said i'd do year or two at half and lower distance, Was chatting to guy in AK oranmore and he kept mentioning 'marathon' jokingly as I was so dismissive , Then said to myself i'd do one if I thought I'd 'do a decent' time, and Finally, now, I'm saying Feck it, why am I doing my best to avoid this quest, It's time to embrace the challenge :) Note: Although my family know I am now running, this marathon is for my gratification only. Friends/family will not be told i'm training for/doing marathon... Call me odd, but hey, It's my quest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Note: Although my family know I am now running, this marathon is for my gratification only. Friends/family will not be told i'm training for/doing marathon... Call me odd, but hey, It's my quest :)

I don't think that's odd at all. I stay very quiet about my ambitions to run DCM. Partly due to expecting something to go wrong and not wanting to appear to be making excuses for chickening out!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Good luck everyone!
    I have not decided to do DCM2013 or not as of yet, but I loved this thread last year so please dont boot me out :o
    Im halfway through my plan for Edinburgh, May 26th and ****ting myself, if all goes well and I remain injury free i will join you guys in Dublin!

PS you are much wiser than me, Im out in the snow these days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't think that's odd at all. I stay very quiet about my ambitions to run DCM. Partly due to expecting something to go wrong and not wanting to appear to be making excuses for chickening out!

im in the marathon closet too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Laois_Man wrote: »

I really think you should all reconsider this approach. Fear of failure is a huge part of the motivation required to run a marathon. I'd go as far as saying the more people that know the more focused you will be.

Advertisement