Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running style

Options
  • 17-01-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Following on from the Catriona McK discussion. Here is another article some people might like to read.It's quite a simplistic look at form but again, makes us think about our body position while running. In an ideal world we should be working on our form every time we pull our trainers on, in the real world (most of us except Tunney!) live in, why not use that 2 mile recovery run or the 14th mile of your 16 miler to really concentrate on your form and how to improve it. After all, noone wants to look like a chicken while running.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0103/1230936613159.html

ATHLETICS: Ultimately, correct running style takes practice, and lots of it. Once it's achieved there is no turning back, but it may mean getting out there every day, writes Ian O'Riordan
    ACCORDING TO a poll just carried out by the San Juan Daily News, the three most fashionable New Year's resolutions for 2009 were to lose weight; to stop smoking; and to spend less. These, I suspect, are the same New Year's resolutions least likely to survive past the first couple of weeks of 2009.
    There is hope, however, for anyone who has decided their resolution is to start back running - or even to start running for the first time. They will almost certainly lose some weight; definitely want to stop smoking; and probably end up spending less. This is partly based on the idea that the lure of running can be highly addictive, and therefore likely to last well past 2009.
    And running, as everyone knows, is the simplest and most pleasurable form of physical exercise. Most of the time anyway. The problem is that it is often made painfully complicated by bad running style. There is a big difference between the right and wrong techniques of running - particularly if it is to be a long-term pursuit.
    I was thinking about this on New Year's morning when leading a small band of local recruits on a run down Sandy Beach, the 13-mile stretch of Caribbean shoreline on the surfing side of Puerto Rico. Everything about running on a sandy beach like this demands total attention to correct running style. And more so given the night before we'd all succumbed to Hemingway's travel tip for the Caribbean: preserve water, drink rum.
    My first word of advice then was to start out slow. "Painfully slow," I said, and by this I meant running well within ourselves. Nothing will ruin the prospect of an accomplished run more effectively than starting out too fast. This goes for all levels of fitness, but especially for anyone just starting back. Even the Kenyans start out painfully slow on their morning runs, a practice known as the "Kenyan shuffle".
    When running on sand starting out fast is not an option anyway. The sand around here is firm and flat in some places, loose and rough in others. Although it is one of the most beautiful places to go running, when the curved shoreline and occasional sand dune is taken into account, it's definitely not the easiest.
    No wonder then that for years some of the world's finest distance runners have often included a period of sand dune running in their Olympic preparations. Percy Cerutty, who some may remember as coach to the great Australian miler Herb Elliott, made it one of his trademark sessions, and not just because of the demanding nature of the terrain.
    Cerutty grew up in extreme poverty and in 1942, at age 47, his health had failed so dramatically he decided to do something dramatic about it. He adopted a raw-food diet and embarked on a violent exercise regime. Five years later, at 52, he ran a marathon in exactly three hours.
    Cerutty also became obsessed with correct running style. He studied the movements of animals and birds compared to humans, and figured out for himself ways in which we can learn from them. To master his trade, he took his pupils to the sand dunes of Portsea, on the Victorian coast. Running barefoot on sand, he said, was the first step towards developing correct running style.
    The first rule he tried to instil was that we run with the legs, not on them - this was perhaps the most important factor in correct running style. "Shift all your weight to your upper body," Cerutty would say, as that would create the conscious effort to run with the legs, not on them. This takes some practice.
    Running barefoot on sand also demands lifting the leg with each stride, rather than landing on it - to focus that landing on the ball of the foot, rather than the heel. This is a good thing, and if done properly the runner appears to float over the surface.
    Any style of running that veers towards the opposite, as in pounding the surface, will inevitably result in that most common of injury, "runner's knee", or else the vague yet nonetheless equally cursed injury known as "shin splints". So float, don't pound.
    No amount of conscious effort to run with the legs, not on them, will create the correct running style unless the hips are properly positioned. Over the years, several coaches have emphasised this. Cerutty used to say the pelvis was like a bowlful of water, and any tilting, either forwards or backwards, would allow this water to spill.
    Bill Bowerman, the co-founder of Nike, had a blunter rule for his students at the University of Oregon. The hips, he said, must be held up and forward at all times, "as if in the moment of deepest penetration". If anyone is running in a chicken-like position with their backside sticking out then they're not running correctly.
    When the lower body is sorted, the carriage of the arms, chest and shoulders can be addressed, but with equal emphasis. In fact, Cerutty identified the thumb as one of the most neglected components of correct running style, the one thing that separates us from four-legged animals, but can also connect us to them. Only when the thumb is properly engaged, slightly pressed against the forefinger, can the hands and arms can become an equal driving force, a sort of two front legs. And as George Orwell said a long time ago "four legs good, two legs bad". It helps too to get a rhythm going between the arms and legs - even a visual rhythm. The Japanese marathon runners are trained to "step over the barrel" with each stride and this works particularly well.
    Once the arms are carried correctly, the shoulders will naturally drift back, and likewise, the chest stick out. It almost goes without saying that the chest is the sub-conscious engine of the runner, the consequences of neglecting this not worth considering. But running hunched over with the chest compressed is like driving around on four flat tyres with a trailer-load of cement.
    However, the true engine of the runner is the heart and lungs - and that's where oxygen comes in. Breathing in and out efficiently is inevitably related to improving levels of fitness, yet Noel Carroll, co-founder of the Dublin marathon, had some good advice: "Don't worry about getting the air out, worry about getting the air in." Slow and steady breathing in is always better than heavy puffing out. Ideally it should be two breaths in for every one breath out.
    None of this correct running style - the proper positioning of legs, hips, arms, chest, etc - can be achieved without complete relaxation. Anyone not running relaxed is better off not running at all. I've watched in slow motion the faces of the best Kenyans and Ethiopians, and it looks like they're half asleep.
    Ultimately, correct running style takes practice, and lots of it. Once it's achieved there is no going back, but it may mean getting out there every day for some more practice, no matter how busy. Carroll had some good advice on that matter too: "If you find yourself too busy to run on any given day, then you're too busy." And that's my New Year's resolution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Love the Noel Carroll quote at the end, there a whole book of those in a guide/booklet I saw once on training advice for the Dublin City Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Its a pity I didn't have that run with you legs not on the qoute when I was out in that gale earlier. I have to say it made me laugh. Its an interesting piece I don't really pay much attention to the technical side of running apart from one foot in front of the other. Though with saying that I might improve my running if I did put more of an effort into that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 leon45

to focus that landing on the ball of the foot

I know this might sound silly but could someone explain this abit further
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

leon45 wrote: »
    I know this might sound silly but could someone explain this abit further
    thanks

The ball of the foot is the bit just behind the toes. so you land with that part of the foot touching the ground first rather than the heel touching first (the way most runners do it I think).

Id be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this as I often hear conflicting reports as to what is correct......a heel strike, fore foot or mid sole foot strike.

It seems fore foot is best for minimising injuries but I also remember reading most elites actually use a heel strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Very basically - with hips high and head/shoulders aligned (i.e. with no bending forward at the waist) then the foot should strike under the centre of gravity of the body, and on the midfoot (or ball of foot) but NOT on the heel.

Without getting into the Chi/Pose thing this is a good basic rule, though it does require a certain core strength to do efficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Babybing wrote: »
    It seems fore foot is best for minimising injuries but I also remember reading most elites actually use a heel strike?

Most definitely not - take a look at any good-class athlete. That's not to say that the heel never touches/flicks the ground, but the main impact is away from the heel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Very good reading. One thing I noticed from watching the XC race on sat was the form of the runner, I know its a bit sad but I was checking out most runners as they passed.

One major factor from the top 30 runners and the rest of the field(bar a few) was the form there was more enegry and drive during the stride, while furhter down the field the legs just seem to be used to soak up the shock from hitting the ground.

I also think that the % body fat increases a lot as you go down the field and this is prob a major factor in losing running form.

Advertisement