Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Watched the trailer for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on Youtube. After my viewing Youtube suggested I may be interested in viewing the same video depicting apes evolving to displace man from the earth from 11 different sources or a video of a creationist who is very good at burpees.

TysKKbW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Funnily enough the thing I noticed is that youtube has a 3d option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The amount of weight loss diets and gimmicks that are advertised this time of year would make you puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Essien wrote: »
    The amount of weight loss diets and gimmicks that are advertised this time of year would make you puke.

Weight loss solutions to make you puke? Niche or unfortunate choice of words? :)

Weight loss solutions to make you puke? Niche or unfortunate choice of words? :)

Mightn't be any less ethical than some of the tack already on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Mightn't be any less ethical than some of the tack already on the market.

nothing un-ethical about taking money off idiots too lazy to do 5 minutes of research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

nothing un-ethical about taking money off idiots too lazy to do 5 minutes of research.

that is unfair.
    really unfair.

How do you know what the answer is if you don't know the questions to ask in the first place?

A normal non-training person looking to get fit won't know what they need to ask not mind the solutions top their woe.

calling them lazy idiots is a dicks move to be frank.

5 mins research - mehole ...

I've been training and reading up on stuff for years and i still don't know all the answers - esp since stuff changes and contradicts itself time and time again

that is unfair.
    really unfair.

How do you know what the answer is if you don't know the questions to ask in the first place?

A normal non-training person looking to get fit won't know what they need to ask not mind the solutions top their woe.

calling them lazy idiots is a dicks move to be frank.

5 mins research - mehole ...

I've been training and reading up on stuff for years and i still don't know all the answers - esp since stuff changes and contradicts itself time and time again

15 years idve been more lenient and agreed with you, but nowadays it is comically easy to find information.

How many times a day to people simply post on this forum alone what supplement must I take, whats the story with this juice diet, what about this pill or that pill?

The problem is that they are literally doing the smallest effort possible and in most cases are hoping to be told their choice is fine carry on.

For every one of those post there are 10's of people who don't even bother to do that minimum.

While they googling fad diets and magic pills they literally have the world at their finger tips and yet are still to lazy to take steps, or they take one step and get frustrated and give up.

I have 0 scientific background other than from high school, yet a couple of searches and some easy reading and i'm more informed then 99% of dieters.

So yeah, if someone is too lazy to actually find easily available and free information regarding their own health and well being and instead opts for the first fad diet that appeals to them through shiny marketing then i've no sympathy when they get home to find they've bought a bottle of expensive snake oil

The sellers are cynical, to say the very least, and they do target people who, for whatever reason, don't understand the basics of nutrition at all. So it is unethical to a point.

Though having said that, while 5 mins is a stretch, a person could quickly grasp the essentials if they put in a little research, so there's definitely an element of laziness there. Everyone wants the latest quick fix. A fool and his money etc etc.

15 years idve been more lenient and agreed with you, but nowadays it is comically easy to find information.

How many times a day to people simply post on this forum alone what supplement must I take, whats the story with this juice diet, what about this pill or that pill?

The problem is that they are literally doing the smallest effort possible and in most cases are hoping to be told their choice is fine carry on.

For every one of those post there are 10's of people who don't even bother to do that minimum.

While they googling fad diets and magic pills they literally have the world at their finger tips and yet are still to lazy to take steps, or they take one step and get frustrated and give up.

I have 0 scientific background other than from high school, yet a couple of searches and some easy reading and i'm more informed then 99% of dieters.

So yeah, if someone is too lazy to actually find easily available and free information regarding their own health and well being and instead opts for the first fad diet that appeals to them through shiny marketing then i've no sympathy when they get home to find they've bought a bottle of expensive snake oil

this is weird - cos now I agree with you :pac:

There are two type of people (on reflection) lazies and those that don't know what they are asking or want to ask.

The lazies will probably never fall for a scam cos they are too lazy .
    I have a friend - lifting about 10 years - still ****e - all broscience.
    killer deadlfit session @- 80kgs type of guy.
    he asks me loads and despite what I say he still does his 3 x 10 bench at 60kg and says "whoppper session"
    but he is too lazy to pay either time or money to a scam.

I'm more worried about the person who decides to lose weight and is pro-active by looking online - remember they don't know where to look or what to ask , but are willing
    they will be the victims of crap advice/systems/coaches.That is wrong.

But otherwise I'll tip my hat to you on your second post.

• Advertisement

There are two type of people (on reflection) lazies and those that don't know what they are asking or want to ask.

There's a massive section where the 2 overlap in my opinion. People who haven't a clue what to ask, but due to laziness, will opt for the first simple, fast and shiny looking solution.

True story, a friend of mine walked in on one of her friends eating a packet of tayto on a vibroplate... this is the kind of person I'm referring to.

There's a massive section where the 2 overlap in my opinion. People who haven't a clue what to ask, but due to laziness, will opt for the first simple, fast and shiny looking solution.

I'm not sure - think outside fitness.

If you want to buy electronics (I know nothing on this matter) is it laziness if I takle the advice of the guy in the shop?
    or advice of my doctor , how many opinion should I go through and if they are different , how do I know which is right.

If you don't have that basic knowledge , you mighn't (won't ) know what you should be asking.

and I only got basic knowledge through experience - trial and error so to speak

If you want to buy electronics (I know nothing on this matter) is it laziness if I takle the advice of the guy in the shop?
    or advice of my doctor , how many opinion should I go through and if they are different , how do I know which is right.

If you don't have that basic knowledge , you mighn't (won't ) know what you should be asking.

I just googled "How to lose weight". The first few search results suggested what I believe to be the right things - Eat whole foods, find out how many cals you're eating and how many you actually need, drink more water, avoid fad diets etc.

I believe if you're really looking for a simple, healthy, inexpensive, sustainable method of losing weight, you'd have to go out of your way to avoid all the good advice that's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I have a friend - lifting about 10 years - still ****e - all broscience.
    killer deadlfit session @- 80kgs type of guy.
    he asks me loads and despite what I say he still does his 3 x 10 bench at 60kg and says "whoppper session"
    but he is too lazy to pay either time or money to a scam.
    This can't be true. Are you just exaggerating or is your friend really deadlifting 80kg and benching 60kg for reps after 10 years lifting? or did he just get run over by a bus after 9yrs 6months and now he's back to that level? When you say 'lifting', does he actually just hit up a gym once every 2-3 weeks? If he's spinning his wheels to the extent you seem to be saying the lad needs an intervention or something.

If youre buying electronics then most people would be able to find out basics of what they need and how to get it.

If they are unsure then they look for an answer.
    very few people buy the first option.

And there are almost as many dodgy electronics deal as get fit deals.

So why not apply the same to your health.

If people saw an ad online for a cheap tv, from a company they'd never heard of that promised all the features of the most expensive tvs, twice the size and half the cost they'd be suspicious.

So why do they so readily click and purchase the obvious weight loss scam?

Cos they are lazy, and the way to weight loss involves effort, the scam is offering less or no effort.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

papu wrote: »
    Well there are different forms of Creatine

As it says there Creapure seems to be the TM of Monohydrate. So if it says Creapure its the good pure stuff , otherwise it could be any of the other forms.

Its definitely creatine monohydrate

this VS this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

This can't be true. Are you just exaggerating or is your friend really deadlifting 80kg and benching 60kg for reps after 10 years lifting? or did he just get run over by a bus after 9yrs 6months and now he's back to that level? When you say 'lifting', does he actually just hit up a gym once every 2-3 weeks? If he's spinning his wheels to the extent you seem to be saying the lad needs an intervention or something.
    I'm sure there are lots of people in commercial gyms for years using machines or benching the same 15kg dumbells, gainz being an 11th rep or an extra 10 mins on the threadmill.
    Lifting for them = going to the gym = threadmill/shaping/chatting

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

I know someone just like that. He is a chronic hypochondriac so has been going to the gym for about 20 years because he thinks it is good for his health, but he is afraid of compound lifts and 'heavy' weights because he is worried that these will lead to injury. He has been benching around 70kg for sets of 8-12 for as long as I can remember, and he doesn't do any lower body work apart from the odd knee extension or hamstring curl.

He is reasonably trim and fit so is probably getting the results he wants, so I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with it. He does have comically thin legs though.

He's one of those people that thinks squats are bad for the knees, by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

conzy wrote: »
    Its definitely creatine monohydrate

this VS this

one of those is 99.99% and the Creapure is 99.95%.

Cheaper and higher purity? I'd go for that one.

• Advertisement

He's one of those people that thinks squats are bad for the knees, by the sounds of it.

I started squatting because I have bad knees.

When I tore my knee ligaments I was doing bodyweight squats as part of my rehab. It makes sense. Since I started doing them with a bar in the last year or so, my knees have never been better. But there are still people that think squats are bad for the knees. Colloquially known as 'clowns'.

no . i am afraid i'm not

He goes frequently , few times a week.
    he is a bit of an arm's / chest "master" - can't / won't squat.
    he isn't alone tbh

now when I say lifting - I really mean "gym" - he does lift but plenty of machines / crap exercises and never really pushes himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Same here. Keyhole on both knees and an ACL op, squatting was the best thing for it. Legs/knees never been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh my knees get awful sore sometimes as well.

...oh wait. I was suppose to keep that one to myself.

these may be of use

2008-07-11-3286910_mid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Mind your wrists while you're at it. I know a girl who was suspected of a suicide attempt because of bandages on her wrist when the cause was something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

My new gym has some utter clowns.

Part of the floor is already caved where people lift weights. So what do some people do? Snatches: dropping the non-rubber plates on the floor between each rep. Floor is already damaged enough with that nonsense. This is all with trainer supervision.

I don't take notice of what others do in the gym, unless they're doing something awesome, but throwing plates and loaded bars around really grinds my gears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't take notice of what others do in the gym, unless they're doing something awesome, but throwing plates and loaded bars around really grinds my gears.

So me 'climbing the walls' was awesome was it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement