Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options
  • 23-11-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭

So this is being discussed in the Xbox One pre-order thread, but I think this needs a bit more exposure than that:

1) Because its possibly they will do the same for anyone who pre-ordered a Ps4
    2) Because people should be aware when a retailer behaves like this.

One user on reddit posted on r/Games
    Xtra vision are refusing to honour their console pre orders unless you buy an additional game or accessory for it regardless of if you have paid in full or not

More information in the Xbox One Pre-Order Thread

So apparently customers were called during the week to let them know of this rule.

I'm not affected by this as I amnt buying a new console yet, but I know where I wont be shopping this Christmas (or after)

Note: I am not a mod on games (so my power here is useless :pac:) , but please try keep discussions factual. Saying something like "X" shop are a bunch of crooks will get the thread closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Fingers crossed they go bust again but this time vanish completly out of existence.

Worst place i have ever dealt with for games or anything for that matter:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Even if you've already paid in full? Seriously? Surely there are laws against basically holding people to ransom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

They claim the same restriction will apply for the PS4. Some members of staff that claim to have said that it was Microsoft and Sony policy

People on the Playstation forum have started to ring and email Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland about this, I doubt they will be very happy with XV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

They claim the same restriction will apply for the PS4. Some members of that claim to have said that it was Microsoft and Sony policy

People on the Playstation forum have started to ring and email Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland about this, I doubt they will be very happy with XV.

I had this issue with the wii launch in 2006 in GameStop and smyths with my PS4 preorder now, they're only selling bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How is this legal, if people have already paid for their product, and these <snip> hold it for ransom?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hopefully this generates enough negative press that holding your console "for ransom" will be reversed. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Utterly stupid by XV, and i hope they get serious backlash from Sony/Microsoft about it. With decision making like this, is it any wonder they are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Surely this isn't legal. Get onto the national consumer agency as well and see what they have to say about it.

Definitely not right from xtravision. If it's their policy then they should have made that clear to customers before they signed up to, and paid for the pre order. Their going back on their promise to customers because they know how sought after this product is.

Might be also worth you while going over to the consumer issues forum on boards and seeing what they made of it.

EDIT: Just checked their facebook page there. They are completely refusing to provide answers on the issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You'd think with a second wind they'd actually try to entice people to come to their stores. What a ****ing disgrace

Anyone have similar problems in HMV?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hope MS crucify them for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Will be going into the XV I have my PS4 ordered today to query this. Have two games preordered. Will be asking them what the story is. If I'm confirmed to be getting a console at launch (already have the console fully paid for), I might cancel the preorders for the games.

Seriously shameful tactics, and judging by the backlash so far, can see them reversing this policy for the PS4 release. Feel bad for the XBO guys who got stung by this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not getting into the legal details, but a one-sided changing of the terms of the de-facto sales contract is suspect to say the least. From a business sense, if true then the damage to XV reputation outweights the short-term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Manach wrote: »
    Not getting into the legal details, but a one-sided changing of the terms of the de-facto sales contract is suspect to say the least. From a business sense, if true then the damage to XV reputation outweights the short-term gain.

Especially for a company that isn't on the soundest of footings. You think they would be doing everything in their power not to piss off the few customers they have left.

Just reading on reddit from the OP of the thread that's going somewhat viral that Microsoft have told them to complain directly to the store and that they can not do anything to help. I think that might have been from Microsoft in the US, so it might be a better idea to contact Microsoft Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i haven't pre-ordered the PS4 myself, going to wait a few months after release to see if any bundles/deals arise.

Don't you have to be given 28 days notification of changes in terms and conditions. A phone call a few days beforehand would not fall into this surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Serious bad form from Xtra Vision...

Penn wrote: »
    Will be going into the XV I have my PS4 ordered today to query this. Have two games preordered. Will be asking them what the story is. If I'm confirmed to be getting a console at launch (already have the console fully paid for), I might cancel the preorders for the games.

Seriously shameful tactics, and judging by the backlash so far, can see them reversing this policy for the PS4 release. Feel bad for the XBO guys who got stung by this.

Especially people who may have pre-ordered the console instore but bought the games online to save a few quid. It's pretty rich for a store to demand you spend another 65-70 quid after just dropping 500 euro in their store.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So after Gamestop ****ing over all their online pre-orders and XV screwing everyone ( illegally ), that leave Smyths and who else for offline shopping.

Varik wrote: »
    So after Gamestop ****ing over all their online pre-orders and XV screwing everyone ( illegally ), that leave Smyths and who else for offline shopping.

What happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

krudler wrote: »
    What happened there?

It was mostly concerning PS4.

They said online orders would be allowed to upgrade to bundles after Sony announced them and in store orders were being upgraded, this continued for a month before they then said they wouldn't be at which point is was too late for most to look else where; after getting no bundles they also made promises of discounts but that again was horse ****.

Personally will be only buying off Smyths, Amazon, and digitally from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Another nail in the XV coffin if you ask me, and rightly deserved as they have over-priced rentals for years...

I do feel bad for the floor staff that will receive the backlash of anger, remember its not their fault! But at the same time complaints have to be made, this is disgraceful especially coming up to xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Varik wrote: »

Personally will be only buying off Smyths, Amazon, and digitally from now on.

Only way to fix em!!!

Posted this in the Xboxone preorder thread.

Went into Xtravision to ask about the whole having to buy an additional game in order to get your console. Friend was told earlier today that if he wanted his XboxOne had to buy a game or accessory. He had his consolewith Forza and Dead Rising paid off for months and they flat out refused to give it to him unless he bought an additional product. Was told that if he did not buy it before tomorrow evening they would sell it in

I went in to see what the story was and the first two staff members had no idea what I was talking about. I asked why my friend could not get his console and finally a third member of staff came over to clarify the situation. If you do not buy a game or accessory when collecting the console you can not get your preorder. If you have two games preordered you must still buy another one. She tried to justify it by saying, " the reason for it is because the console is new, you need games to play on it." I asked why were those with games already included in their preorder being forced to buy it and her reply was pretty much "take it or leave it."

She also said that the sane policy will apply to the PS 4. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and a real nasty thing to do. How many people paid off their bundle months back and now can't take it home as they can't afford the additional €70 to buy another game or accessory n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Posted this in the Xboxone preorder thread.

Went into Xtravision to ask about the whole having to buy an additional game in order to get your console. Friend was told earlier today that if he wanted his XboxOne had to buy a game or accessory. He had his consolewith Forza and Dead Rising paid off for months and they flat out refused to give it to him unless he bought an additional product. Was told that if he did not buy it before tomorrow evening they would sell it in

I went in to see what the story was and the first two staff members had no idea what I was talking about. I asked why my friend could not get his console and finally a third member of staff came over to clarify the situation. If you do not buy a game or accessory when collecting the console you can not get your preorder. If you have two games preordered you must still buy another one. She tried to justify it by saying, " the reason for it is because the console is new, you need games to play on it." I asked why were those with games already included in their preorder being forced to buy it and her reply was pretty much "take it or leave it."

She also said that the sane policy will apply to the PS 4. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and a real nasty thing to do. How many people paid off their bundle months back and now can't take it home as they can't afford the additional €70 to buy another game or accessory n

Do they sell €10 Xbox Points cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Remember once I took my young cousin over to XV so she could buy some dance game years ago. I went browsing because she wanted to do it all herself (women..), she brought the game up and paid the full price for a new copy. When we got outside, I noticed there was no wrapping on it so I took a look at the disc, they tried to give the kid a used ex-rental copy and charge her full price. Haven't been back there since.

Hope they don't do the same thing to the PS4 people. Sorry to the XB folks who refused to bend over for those c*nts and went home disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Only way to fix em!!!

Actually what would really hurt them is that if everybody who's pre-ordered, (and prepaid) went in to DEMAND a refund, which they should be perfectly entitled to given the XV have changed the T&C's of the deal.

Not likely to happen though is it?

COYVB wrote: »
    Do they sell €10 Xbox Points cards?

From what I understand the accessory must be a minimum of €60 in value.

From what I understand the accessory must be a minimum of €60 in value.

What's their return policy? Could you buy the extra game, do your transaction and then return the game once you've gotten your receipt? I assume consumer law in Ireland allows for that?

Just found it on their site, problem solved:

RETURNS
    You can return any item to us for a refund as long as it is in its original packaging within 7 days of you receiving your order or within 30 days of dispatch to you if the item(s) are damaged when delivered, defective or faulty.

*edited for link*

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/returns

I would suggest people going to do this print off that page and bring it with them

wexie wrote: »
    Actually what would really hurt them is that if everybody who's pre-ordered, (and prepaid) went in to DEMAND a refund, which they should be perfectly entitled to given the XV have changed the T&C's of the deal.

Not likely to happen though is it?

The problem is that the demand for both consoles is substantially more than supply. Xtravision will have no problem selling off any refunded orders. Parents will happily pay for the game if it means the console is sitting beneath the tree on December 25.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    What's their return policy? Could you buy the extra game, do your transaction and then return the game once you've gotten your receipt? I assume consumer law in Ireland allows for that?

Unless it's faulty the best you'll get is store credit. I once bought something in there and before I'd got my change my girlfriend ran over to tell me she had just bought the same Blu-Ray as a surprise for me not a minute previously. Guy in the store refused to refund my money and insisted on a credit note only.

Advertisement