Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Off duty Garda swept away by flood waters in Blessington...just on RTE news.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Ok I think this maybe needs to hold on to the title a bit..

I've noticed another sPlurg of colour on the met office radar to the south of us.. Can the weather people tell me if this is heading for the east coast, uk or fizzle out...?

Can I suggest maybe starting another(if not already one) thread about current conditions, people's travels home, reports etc

Thanks.

Why bother..?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Well it's put me out of my home.

I live in a basement flat in Churchtown and when I last saw it at about 9.30 there was about 6-8 inches of water everywhere and rising. It was coming up through the floor, everywhere at once. I'm a bit stunned right now.

As for Dundrum Town Centre, I did expect this to happen at some point. If you are familiar with the former Dundrum Bowl, you will know why.

I'm just trying to find out if all the Basement car parks filled up completely with water too.

Eeeek!

Good luck!! That's awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

joe stodge wrote: »
    some gobsh1te taxi man on the fm104 phoneshow is blaming the goverment on all this rain/flooding.:rolleyes:

Well, the inability of this country to cope is the issue.I'm not saying it's this government but I was out in this and I saw very few emergency services dealing with the problem or even preparing for it. So in a way the damage this will do is sucessive governments fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

NickDrake wrote: »
    ANOTHER terrible forecast by Met Eireann. This amount of rain was not forecast.

Some shower of clowns.

Yawn, it WAS forecast... 40mm to 70mm was generally forecast, possibly more in places. It's not Met Eireanns fault if people give planning permission for/build/buy houses on flat flood plains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky News forecast this next batch of rain this evening,strange that Irish Tv forecasts didn't earlier.If it rolls up the East coast the flooding situation will get much much worse.
    Some amazing pics and vids being posted in AH from Dublin:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

More videos, Took this down the road from me at the dropping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

312195_10150440873662953_515167952_10172701_635318656_n.jpg

The Bayside DART station subway through to Baldoyle. Note that the path drops much lower inside the tunnel than where the person is standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

27 bus going through Dolphin's Barn:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Weeks on end of above average temperatures have left a lot of energy around Europe...bit of instability on that and bam, intense rain. Just the other day in Rome 80-150mm (depending on area) of rain fell in just two hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,145 ✭✭✭✭km79

zerks wrote: »
    Sky News forecast this next batch of rain this evening,strange that Irish Tv forecasts didn't earlier.If it rolls up the East coast the flooding situation will get much much worse.
    Some amazing pics and vids being posted in AH from Dublin:eek:.
    What direction is that rain going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

nizo888 wrote: »
    I hope all the windows are up

sorry, but that's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Thor wrote: »

This was another video i recorded at the dropping well, This was at around 6pm. The pace is destroyed now. The dodder is hitting the second floor on the pub.

Saw the bottle banks and a car float out of the car park at about 8pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Inside Bayside Train Station :(:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

With regard to the rain now falling over Cornwall, would expect that this will tend to fragment and move at least partially offshore (to east) but there could be a further 3-5 mms of rain from it towards 0400h-0700h. Given the ongoing flooding, this will not have much impact on what is likely to happen in any case. But keeping an eye on it, the guidance for this has remained about the same but it has been creeping closer. I think the worst it could do is to add about 10 mms, but there's no frontal boundary for this to use as a path towards Dublin, and a developing southwest flow at higher levels set to steer this a bit further east than the major rainfall system just finished.

By the way, this thread was excellent and did a lot to emphasize the concern for flooding before it happened, so well done to those who were busy on this front earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

km79 wrote: »
    What direction is that rain going

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Another video, The dodder looks fierce!

The poor Dropping well!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Outside Maxwell Motors in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

Well it's put me out of my home.

I live in a basement flat in Churchtown and when I last saw it at about 9.30 there was about 6-8 inches of water everywhere and rising. It was coming up through the floor, everywhere at once. I'm a bit stunned right now.

As for Dundrum Town Centre, I did expect this to happen at some point. If you are familiar with the former Dundrum Bowl, you will know why.

I'm just trying to find out if all the Basement car parks filled up completely with water too.
    I am so sorry to hear about your home. Will home insurance cover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭crushproof

santasbird wrote: »

Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

This doesn't look good at all. Hopefully he will be found alive.

:(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1024/wicklow_flooding.html
    A search and rescue operation is under way in Co Wicklow after a young Garda was swept away in floods near Blessington.

A search and rescue operation is under way in Co Wicklow after an off-duty Garda was swept away in floods near Blessington.

It is thought the officer was swept away in a flood after attempting to divert traffic away from a dangerous bridge.

The Garda Helicopter, Coast Guard and several mountain rescue teams are involved in the operation.

The bridge near Ballysmuttan was in danger of being swept away by strong river flow.

It is thought several bridges in the area have collapsed this evening, but the newly-built bridge at Ballysmuttan remains in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some nice videos and pics on Irishweatheronline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

santasbird wrote: »

fcuk do you have scuba gear on?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

2236: Met Éireann forecast from 2230:
    "Spells of heavy rain affecting parts of north Leinster and Ulster will continue to clear northwards overnight, with drier weather developing in many areas and just a little patchy rain or drizzle.
    "However, another spell of persistent and locally heavy rain will spread into much of Munster and south Leinster overnight."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Danno wrote: »
    Yawn, it WAS forecast... 40mm to 70mm was generally forecast, possibly more in places. It's not Met Eireanns fault if people give planning permission for/build/buy houses on flat flood plains.

Link?

A lot more fell than that lad.

Yawn - your defence of your employers is pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    The rush hour drive home this evening in the Dublin Region will not be fun.

Certainly on the ball. Well done.

I was inbound on the M1 remembering that post, thinking to myself "what was he on about".

Then I jammed on the brakes to avoid the small river that appeared in front of me, blocking the HS and 3 of the 4 running lanes. Chaos ensued.
    As for my journey home - 1.5 hours of madness. Came out of the tunnel after waiting 20 mins to get into it, veered off the M1 onto M50 SB, came off at ballymun to go round the airport. All flooded. Tried the R132, impassable at ALSAA. Tried to get the other direction to Coolock Lane, impassable. Back to Ballymun.M50, down the M50 NB, onto the N32 and out the Malahide Road.

Got home at 9.30 which by all accounts wasn't half bad, about 1.5 hours or slightly more. My mam on the other hand was in the car for 3.25 hours coming from D4 to here. Total gridlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Glenvw wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear about your home. Will home insurance cover

I don't have any, I'm hoping the landlords insurance might.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

early days...but ...any chance dundrum be open this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Advertisement