Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

I been watching the boards all day and it looks pretty hairy in the dublin area.

Even making the news up here now
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15439838

I wouldnt wish it on any one (not even the mother in law)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

It appears that one man has been washed away at the Sally Gap this evening.

It almost seems inevitable that this weather event could possibly have a significant human cost by the apparent scale.

People really need to be very careful out there now (better indoors IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The Slang, normally nothing more than a drainage ditch, but not tonight :o

That isn't quite true. I was working on the far side of the Slang while they were building DSC, and I watched them demolish a watermill complex, dig basement carparks below that level, and then fill in the valley with a road. It was a fairly major valley, with a 14th C castle controlling its easiest fording point (where the old bridge was), and like most valleys, it was there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nanofano

Anyone know what the tallaght bypass is like at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Planes departing Dublin Airport again, I'm on my way out of Dublin, won't see much in the dark though...

Best of luck to all who need it!

Ah here, don't you think that's being a little bit dramatic, it'll get better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

It appears that one man has been washed away at the Sally Gap this evening.

It almost seems inevitable that this weather event could possibly have a significant human cost by the apparent scale.

People really need to be very careful out there now (better indoors IMO).

Terrible if true.

After seeing footage of Dundrum SC, I knew that this flooding was more than an inconvenience. It looks seriously dangerous out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It will take about 24hours for all this rain to flow down mountaines etc and get into the rivers.
    A tsunami type effect is very possible tomorrow evening for Dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

hi guys my woman on train to dublin and shes wondering what o connell street is like if anyone can give me some info please id be greatfull

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

inabina wrote: »
    what river around dundrum has flooded, anyone know?

emMMM that would be RIVER ISLAND

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

konman wrote: »
    hi guys my woman on train to dublin and shes wondering what o connell street is like if anyone can give me some info please id be greatfull

All dart services are suspended until the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

nizo888 wrote: »
    Terrible if true.

After seeing footage of Dundrum SC, I knew that this flooding was more than an inconvenience. It looks seriously dangerous out there.

Paragraph 3:

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1024/breaking43.html

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

rc28 wrote: »
    Got this from another thread but it's pretty funny the Dundrum centre is flooding - http://www.irishconcrete.ie/Flood_Flooring_precast.html Another gift from the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes:

Nice find. A marketing own goal I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Anyone near the KCR at present? If so what state is it in?
    Absolutely dire, huge flooding I'm afraid:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rebeccadeegan

anyone got any idea what ballyfermot is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

IM finally home From College!!! :D

Only took an HOUR!! ( for a normally 15min drive! )

Uploading Epic Tense moment going through the Flood at the end of Glasnevin Hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Tordelback wrote: »
    That isn't quite true. I was working on the far side of the Slang while they were building DSC, and I watched them demolish a watermill complex, dig basement carparks below that level, and then fill in the valley with a road. It was a fairly major valley, with a 14th C castle controlling its easiest fording point (where the old bridge was), and like most valleys, it was there for a reason.

Remember it, it used to flood the old PYE centre from time to time as well, but since the new centre was built it never got high at all, even during heavy rain, but i have a feeling there will be some major upgrade works carried out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

some gobsh1te taxi man on the fm104 phoneshow is blaming the goverment on all this rain/flooding.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Hope your doing ok Trogdor ...

Dargle about to burst right into his back garden ... Holler if you need anything !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Treehere

Anybody know what the Eastwall Rd. area in Dublin 3 is like? Near the 02? Need to make the cat a boat in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Apparently there is a coastguard rib on the M50 rescuing stranded drivers - source: newstalk twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Tordelback wrote: »

check this out..from here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/waterprojects/Pages/RiverDodderCatchmentFloodRiskAssessmentManagementStudy.aspx

"Dundrum Slang:

The Dundrum Slang stream is currently protected from a major flooding event which has a 2% probability (1 in 50 year) of occurring in any given year
    Results from the national framework assessment show that there is no viable flood risk management option available for the entire Dundrum Slang
    Further flood cell analysis is ongoing"

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grantiemcfc

where are they expecting the dargle to burst its banks lucy2010??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

joe stodge wrote: »
    some gobsh1te taxi man on the fm104 phoneshow is blaming the goverment on all this rain/flooding.:rolleyes:

I don't know how many times I've told Enda to relax with the Raindancing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Didn't we get a similar amount of flooding this time last year ? just reminds me of something similar, is there anywhere online I can check ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

It will take about 24hours for all this rain to flow down mountaines etc and get into the rivers.
    A tsunami type effect is very possible tomorrow evening for Dublin city

are you being serious or are you having a laugh :confused: or am i being really naieve?????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Didn't we get a similar amount of flooding this time last year ? just reminds me of something similar, is there anywhere online I can check ?

Nah this is the worst day of rain i can ever remember and i'm 38.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

konman wrote: »

are we due more rain tomorrow, or can we expect it to settle back to normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Hope your doing ok Trogdor ...

Dargle about to burst right into his back garden ... Holler if you need anything !!!

Looks like we may be alright, high tide has just been and passed so there should be some slow relief from now on. Although it's dangerously high at the moment!

Advertisement