Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Leaky roof in Superquinn in Swords, otherwise the rain isn't that heavy anymore. Quite pleasant to walk in when well covered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Does anyone know what condition the N11 is in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 BMSF

Heard Dart's all down. Hope it'll be all ok tomorrow :-(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

eigrod wrote: »
    Is that blob on the radar that's been crossing Brittany & Cornwall the last hour heading towards our East Coast ?

YES!

Haha, talk about enterprising, was on Facebook, and whats on the main page only an add for Sandbags :)

Need sandbags?

Irelands biggest supplier! No quantity too big or small! We can supply wholesale or post a few to your house! Full bags coming in 2010!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'm getting a bit worried now as the flooding outside my house is getting higher and higher. the road in front of us is completely flooded and we are on a bit of a hill but it's rising fast, it's a couple of feet high now. will have to keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Heavy rain started again.

Any facts on high tide times.

Time lag to water from the mountain coming down the Liffey?

I did do some hydrology but not enough!

The Liffey is damned at Poulaphouca. Should be able to regulate the flow of the Liffey I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Got this from another thread but it's pretty funny the Dundrum centre is flooding - http://www.irishconcrete.ie/Flood_Flooring_precast.html Another gift from the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

High tide at Dublin port is at 22.19 and height is predicted to be 4.1m and 4.4m tomorrow.
    Floodwaters move downstream at an average rate of around 4mph (from memory - could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Cars submerged in Templeogue along the Poddle. Seriously worried about the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I would suggest the high tide in the morning will be the biggest concern.

I think time lag is usually 12 to 18 hours

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Derfil wrote: »
    The Liffey is damned at Poulaphouca. Should be able to regulate the flow of the Liffey I'd imagine.

The problem is that if they also have to let a lot of water out to stop the floodwaters breaching the dam. The same thing happens on the Dodder, usually they have to release water from Bohernabreena and that can cause a lot of flooding along that river.

Rain stoped here now with a total of 82.0mm since midnight and a 48hr total of 125.1mm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Did someone post earlier high tide was around 9:30 pm?

According to Dublin Fire Brigade they are expecting an ' unusually high tide', so not the normal high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

This was another video i recorded at the dropping well, This was at around 6pm. The pace is destroyed now. The dodder is hitting the second floor on the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thor wrote: »

This was another video i recorded at the dropping well, This was at around 6pm. The pace is destroyed now. The dodder is hitting the second floor on the pub.
    Must have been earlier, it was dark at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Riamfada wrote: »
    Cars submerged in Templeogue along the Poddle. Seriously worried about the house.

At the KCR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Not wrote: »
    Rain eased off now thankfully, flooding subsiding, can now see the problem. yes, it is leaves. Clogging the drains on the road and diverting the rainwater into gardens and domestic drains :rolleyes:

Having said that, a bus just went through the remains of the flood outside causing the bath drain to gurgle loudly:eek:, so maybe water inundation in the drains is blocking the leaves, rather than the other way around !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Heavy rain started again.

Any facts on high tide times.

I did do some hydrology but not enough!

was up in coronation plantation earlier, left about 7pm, the amount of water going into the liffey there was amazing, the river was at least 1meter above normal levels, higher in other parts. all the roads have a few inches of water and the bogs up at the sally gap are saturated, water just running off them. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=75111314

339rjnm.jpg
    3gffk.jpg
    zmy05s.jpg
    w8mh4k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

N7 closed between Castlewarden and Johnstown. Carnage. Good news is it looks to be easing off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Is that Dundrum S.C?

Yes

309680_2291404639198_1071477487_2613542_1211597205_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

19 hrs approx.

Pollaphuca has huge storage - the water collected there will be drawn down slowly over the next few weeks. The flow from Pollaphuca has to be controlled because Leixlip has to discharge exactly what comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Very dry here watching telly having a hot drink , crazy weather outside , y do people go out , how is shankill ,??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mayhem at dublin airport flight wise, a flight in the air for me that has 25 mins of fuel left or will have to divert to shannon, as my original one has.

None are being allowed land. Not going to be an enjoyable evening at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Very dry here watching telly having a hot drink , crazy weather outside , y do people go out , how is shankill ,??

I don't think the whole city hopped in their cars for the craic, it was rush hour traffic, folk trying to get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Dundrum

314968_10150327908965684_728440683_8432290_1705247765_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    just had a leak develop in the kitchen.... first one in 10+ years...crazy stuff... there's a small stream behind our house... getting a bit nervous... it'd have to raise 2 feet though... so not THAT nervous...

Sky back... crisis averted... whooops now it's gone again... glad they don't use satellite technology for anything important...

Only moved into a place this summer and the kitchen was like a sieve earlier on. Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

More Dundrum

Aci5mXWCQAAMjTr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

wouldn't it just be great if my school got flooded :D

Advertisement