Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options
  • 17-11-2005 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone here made the switch to Airtricity? Was there any hassle and are you seeing significant price difference? I've heard its 5% cheaper since the ESB price hike due to oil but I'm waiting for them to mail me a price list to confirm.

Will you be switching over to Bord Gais electricity 402 votes

Bord Gais
    0% 0 votes
    ESB
    80% 325 votes
    Airtricity
    19% 77 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Last I checked, Airtricity increased their prices as well, due to the increase in the price of wind or something ridiculous like that. You'll most likely find that they both have exactly the same prices.

Actually, can't illustrate any of this now because they don't appear to show prices at all on their website.

I know from last year they were exactly the same price, including both charging a public service levy which I would have thought should only be charged by the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I enquired into their pricing a couple of years ago. And they were only offering discounts to businesses (it might have been 10% then) and you had to pay by direct debit. No discount to private consumers. So you could do it for the benefit of the environment but not for the benefit of your wallet. Competition. What competition.icon8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

Only in Ireland! If its hassle free and the same price then might as well i suppose. But on second thoughts I don't think I want to give my money to a company that hikes their prices for no reason. ESB had oil as an excuse, what's theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

what's theirs?
    Profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Will the future wars be fought over Wind (when oil runs out) because if so, I in trouble as the biggest windfarm in ireland is being built in my back yard almost. I would not support Airtricty when they carry on like that, They had the oppurtunity to leave their prices low but they didn't, i'd rather have my air-con pumping out tonnes of Co2 through using the esb and burning coal & oil, than support a company that is driven by sheer greed and capitalism. At least the ESB is public and so much of what i spend is helping run the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's actually a bit more complex than that. Airtricity have to buy in power when the wind isn't blowing enough power to cover what their customers are sucking out of the grid. So, if there's an increase in oil prices and this increases ESB's wholesale prices Airtricity will have some cost increases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I note that Bord Gais still hasn't entered the residential market with a cheaper product than ESB even though they said they would launch a competitive electricity product in October.

So still no competition in the electricity market despite all the price rises 'to encourage competitiveness'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Reviving an antique thread...

<blows dust off thread>

A friend of mine gets her electricity from Airtricity - not because it's cheaper but because she believes in renewable resources. She says it's cheaper, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

prob best to just start a new thread rather than dragging up a really really old one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

just checked their price their and they are now deared than esb. strange i think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

poolfan wrote: »
    just checked their price their and they are now deared than esb. strange i think

Really? Do you have links to prices for both companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I moved to Airtricity in my last house. Found them great to deal with. No hassle changing over the same way it is between the phone companies.

At that time, the prices between ESB and Airtricity was the same.

Current prices are:
    http://www.airtricity.ie/ireland/switch_to_airtricity/residential_tariffs/

http://www.esb.ie/main/energy_home/your_esb_bill_tariffs.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

What is up with Airtricity's Nightsaver pricing. It's more expensive (or am I reading wrong), the standing charge per day and day/24hr rate are higher in both urban and rural case.

I got a night rate meter installed years ago from ESB and that is when we run dishwasher / washing machine etc. Not moving to Airipity with their price structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

"...supplying customers with 89% green renewable electricity."

If this is the case, why two price rises in a year? And around the same time as ESB...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

If this is the case, why two price rises in a year? And around the same time as ESB...

If you think that by becoming an Airtricity customer you are getting "green" electricity then think again.

All the electricity generated in Ireland from whichever source - wind, coal, gas, oil, etc - goes into a virtual "pool" from which the various suppliers such as Airtricity, BGE, ESB Customer Supply etc., purchase their requirements in order to supply their customers.

The electricity that comes down the lines is therefore generated from a mix of sources. It is not possible for a "green" supplier like Airtricity to provide only electricity generated from wind to its customers. It is technically impossible to guarantee that only green electrons will be used to power your requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Carrigman wrote: »
    If you think that by becoming an Airtricity customer you are getting "green" electricity then think again.

All the electricity generated in Ireland from whichever source - wind, coal, gas, oil, etc - goes into a virtual "pool" from which the various suppliers such as Airtricity, BGE, ESB Customer Supply etc., purchase their requirements in order to supply their customers.

The electricity that comes down the lines is therefore generated from a mix of sources. It is not possible for a "green" supplier like Airtricity to provide only electricity generated from wind to its customers. It is technically impossible to guarantee that only green electrons will be used to power your requirements.

And this is different from any other Country how ?

At least if you pay Airtricity then they can invest in more Wind Farms and hence decrease the need to use Coal, Oil and Gas generators.

The same would go for anything, theres always an Infrastructure provider, and anyone can pump their product over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

craichoe wrote: »

Absolutely no different. It's just that a surprising number of people think that by becoming Airtricity customers they are being supplied exclusively with electricity generated by wind. Which of course is nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

At least if you pay Airtricity then they can invest in more Wind Farms and hence decrease the need to use Coal, Oil and Gas generators.

The same would go for anything, theres always an Infrastructure provider, and anyone can pump their product over that.

Its not just airtricity that invest in renewables. Esb are investing €11 billion of which will be directed at renewables.

And they are doing a pilot scheme where all the supply will be totally fed from renewable energy. Im not sure where it is, but could be from the new 18MW windfarm in tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Absolutely no different. It's just that a surprising number of people think that by becoming Airtricity customers they are being supplied exclusively with electricity generated by wind. Which of course is nonsense.

Ah.. Looking at it that way is a bit silly, just because they don't supply a wire to your door from their Wind Generators doesn't mean they don't have to Generate the mW to the grid. Building more infrastructure just to have the 'wire to the door' would be silly. If people weren't using Airtricity then the ESB would have to generate MORE power to supply the Grid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

There's that funny thing called inflation. Also, they bring their prices up just before ESB, who obviously wait for them to do so, reel a few suckers into switching and then up their own prices. Nice.

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    Its not just airtricity that invest in renewables. Esb are investing €11 billion of which will be directed at renewables.

And they are doing a pilot scheme where all the supply will be totally fed from renewable energy. Im not sure where it is, but could be from the new 18MW windfarm in tyrone.

ESB are only doing this because the government got a serious kick up the ass from the EU earlier this year. NO other reason.Not only we were heavily criticised by the EU Commissioner for Energy and noted for being the country in Europe with the best potential for wind & wave power, we've also been told we have to reduce C02 emissions by 20% through a European Credit Trading System (ECTS). Bertie cried all the way to Brussels & back but the EU were just sick of listening to our excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ah.. Looking at it that way is a bit silly, just because they don't supply a wire to your door from their Wind Generators doesn't mean they don't have to Generate the mW to the grid. Building more infrastructure just to have the 'wire to the door' would be silly. If people weren't using Airtricity then the ESB would have to generate MORE power to supply the Grid.

Since wind is never guaranteed someone has to have emergency back up power equal to the amount of wind power being generated. In order to do this they have to have gas fired power stations idling to take up the slack for when the wind doesn't blow, Turlough Hill doesn't have enough capacity to do this. So the ESB is already burning the gas to make the electricity so it won't lead to any more or less greenhouse gas out put. Which is also why Airtricity aren't cheaper then ESB.

Until we get a full EU power grid with sufficient inter connectors, or till someone inverts a viable way of storing large amounts of energy, green energy isn't very green as there is always a need to have full backup capacity (except for tidal).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

A virtual "pool" from which the various suppliers such as Airtricity, BGE, ESB Customer Supply etc., purchase their requirements in order to supply their customers.

Think of the virtual pool as being a pie chart with different suppliers providing different %'s of the overall power need. Airtricity provides a piece of the pie - the larger piece the greener the overall power generation picture in Ireland.

BTW - I have not seen anyone comment on getting power directly from wind generators. I think power consumers are a bit more savy and despite their electricity being partially green & partially dirt they select to support the green supplier for a variety of reasons.

By extension of your comments one would think that buying a low emmisions car is a waste of time because they are lots of gusslers on the road.

Ever hear of the power of 1 ?

burdburd wrote: »
    Think of the virtual pool as being a pie chart with different suppliers providing different %'s of the overall power need. Airtricity provides a piece of the pie - the larger piece the greener the overall power generation picture in Ireland.

As I said before, till we have a fully interconnected power grid with the whole of the EU wind energy isn't green. For every kWh of wind power there has to be back up, for some reason people don't like the dark/cold, since in Ireland we only have a very limited amount of hydro power the only spare capacity we have to back up wind is to run a gas fired station 24/7 making no power to cover any drop in output from the green wind turbine.
    BTW - I have not seen anyone comment on getting power directly from wind generators. I think power consumers are a bit more savy and despite their electricity being partially green & partially dirt they select to support the green supplier for a variety of reasons.

By extension of your comments one would think that buying a low emmisions car is a waste of time because they are lots of gusslers on the road.

But a gas guzzler is proberly cleaner in a total CO2 cycle as it's already made. Where as your low emmisions car has to manufactured, transported to Ireland, then transported to your dealer. You or your dealer will then have to sort out the disposal of the old car which will have to be transported hundreds/thousands of kms to be recycled. Unless the gas gussler dies a natural death, it's not greener to replace it.
    Ever hear of the power of 1 ?

And the people who are telling you this have just bought a brand new fleet of gas gusslers:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I see that Airtricity demand an undertaking to pay by direct debit only before they will consider taking on a residential customer. Is this restriction legal?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SectionF wrote: »
    I see that Airtricity demand an undertaking to pay by direct debit only before they will consider taking on a residential customer. Is this restriction legal?

ESB do the exact same thing for new customers,
    yes its legal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Should it be legal though?

Personally I think no.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Should it be legal though?

Personally I think no.

Ideally it would be nice not to have to use direct debit, but at the end of the day if its legal and you don't like ti there ain't much you can do#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Cabaal wrote: »
    ESB do the exact same thing for new customers,
    yes its legal
    Are they not obliged to accept legal tender in payment? Surely people are entitled to use means that don't involve rip-off bank charges?

• Advertisement

SectionF wrote: »
    Are they not obliged to accept legal tender in payment? Surely people are entitled to use means that don't involve rip-off bank charges?

AFAIK if you don't want to pay ESB by DD when getting a new connection you have to pay a large deposit, I think it was ~€300 a couple of yeards ago. Can't remember the price but it was easier to pay by DD then give them that much cash.

In this day and age you shouldn't be paying bank charges, plenty of free banking available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement