Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Thargor wrote: »
    Do people recommend running uphill instead of the flat for someone starting out or should it be avoided? I have a really nice route I love doing right behind my house but you have to run up Bray Head to get there, all my other routes are on concrete and exposed to traffic fumes which I hate...

Don't avoid hills, learn to love them. And the training benefit is multiplied. However, when starting out, take them easy and take a little walk if necessary without feeling guilty about it.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Do people recommend running uphill instead of the flat for someone starting out or should it be avoided? I have a really nice route I love doing right behind my house but you have to run up Bray Head to get there, all my other routes are on concrete and exposed to traffic fumes which I hate...

So Bray Head is your back garden?

Running uphill can't be much fun if you're really just starting out, but it won't do you any harm. If you're knackered by the time you get to the top, though, then why not just walk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ooter

Missed the first run of my marathon training programme yesterday,was due to do a 16 miler but I was out saturday and didn't know the one that's one too many.:eek:
    Would I be better forgetting about it or try to get it in today,in the grand scheme of things will it make that much of a difference come marathon day?
    Was thinking of maybe doing 8 today instead of the full 16 and adding 1 mile on to all of the remaining 8 sessions of the programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

davedanon wrote: »
    So Bray Head is your back garden?

Running uphill can't be much fun if you're really just starting out, but it won't do you any harm. If you're knackered by the time you get to the top, though, then why not just walk it?
    Well obviously not seeing as its either public land or the golf course but its behind my back garden yes.

The reason I want to run it should be obvious, to get good at running! I'm already an experienced walker so walking it would be a bit pointless and who's got the time for a 40 minute stroll just to get to the start of their running route? I just wanted to know if hills were injury blackspots you should avoid until later or if they're okay to start off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ooter wrote: »
    Would I be better forgetting about it or try to get it in today,in the grand scheme of things will it make that much of a difference come marathon day?

Forget about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

I do almost all of my running on roads, and really could not imagine doing decent distances on grass.

The one thing to take care of is to build mileage very gradually. The rule of thumb is to increase your weekly distance by a maximum of 10%, though that's a very general guideline and your own experience might differ.

Thanks, I am increasing slowly which is tricky as I'm naturally a bit impatient but I feel better for it.

davedanon wrote: »
    If you're really just running around a single GAA pitch, then I can absolutely believe it got tedious very quickly. Is there no park nearby? Re: running surfaces, the old saw (for marathoning anyway) was "do 50% of your running on grass. Always do your long run on the road". So, in effect, your recovery runs would be on the grass, if you were doing two track sessions a week, or one track session and a tempo or similar. That's just my experience and opinion though.

I suppose I could drive to the local cross country about 10 mins away which has a 1.5k loop but it is much easier just to jog from the door early in the morning. I have been doing 3 mile recovery runs on the pitch but its boring enough even at that distance. No track sessions at the minute until I get the miles up for a while and until our nice new track is completed:D; Just need a dry week or 2 I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

conseng wrote: »
    Running on grass:

Building my mileage back up in recent weeks and have read recommendations to do as much as possible of my running on grass. Do posters here agree on the merits of this and do ye run much on grass? I have been doing a bit on a local GAA pitch close to home but find it a bit boring and I'm getting sick of wet shoes already.

I do about 60% of my running on grass, I'm lucky that I have several places where I can run where the smallest lap is 1/2 a mile and the biggest is 4 mile so boredom is not a big issue. Running in grass is easier on the body, less impact and is good for strengthening the muscles and tendons in the lower legs. However you have to compensate the pace a little, generally running on grass is about 10 seconds a mile slower than the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Well obviously not seeing as its either public land or the golf course but its behind my back garden yes.

The reason I want to run it should be obvious, to get good at running! I'm already an experienced walker so walking it would be a bit pointless and who's got the time for a 40 minute stroll just to get to the start of their running route? I just wanted to know if hills were injury blackspots you should avoid until later or if they're okay to start off on.

I was sort of joking about the first bit.

If you want to run it, then fill your boots. so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hills are fine, but I wouldn't like every run to be hilly, variety is the spice of life and all that. Cliff walk is a nice route and only a short climb to get there, obviously only accessible during daylight unless you go down the headtorch route.

If your house backs onto Bray Head (Veavy Rd, Putland Rd or Raheen - I'm guessing) then you are pretty close to Kilruddery, there's some nice running in there and not as hilly as Bray Head. You can go down the formal membership route or once you mind your own business I've never had an issue running up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Hills are fine, but I wouldn't like every run to be hilly, variety is the spice of life and all that. Cliff walk is a nice route and only a short climb to get there, obviously only accessible during daylight unless you go down the headtorch route.

If your house backs onto Bray Head (Veavy Rd, Putland Rd or Raheen - I'm guessing) then you are pretty close to Kilruddery, there's some nice running in there and not as hilly as Bray Head. You can go down the formal membership route or once you mind your own business I've never had an issue running up there.

All good advice. Would just add that while I wouldn't go up a hill straight out the door 10 mins is plenty of time to warm up. Maintain even effort i.e. don't push hard up the hill and you'll be fine. With the exception of that bit in the middle and the short drop towards the end the cliff walk is actually fairly flat.

P.S. It is fairly treacherous underfoot in places though and I wouldn't risk it in the dark even with a searchlight for a headtorch.

Seriously? Just run in the gate of the estate and around the house etc? Run up the small Sugarloaf or something? What do you mean exactly?

Seriously? Just run in the gate of the estate and around the house etc? Run up the small Sugarloaf or something? What do you mean exactly?

In the gate, turn right towards the car park / squirrel scramble and anywhere from there.
    Here's a recent run up there, starting at the business park: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/577202193

You don't have to climb as much if you continue on the lower trail just before the 3 mile point.

Ah thats great thanks, exactly what I was looking for...

Clearlier wrote: »
    All good advice. Would just add that while I wouldn't go up a hill straight out the door 10 mins is plenty of time to warm up. Maintain even effort i.e. don't push hard up the hill and you'll be fine. With the exception of that bit in the middle and the short drop towards the end the cliff walk is actually fairly flat.

P.S. It is fairly treacherous underfoot in places though and I wouldn't risk it in the dark even with a searchlight for a headtorch.
    Yeah Ive never been up there at night, its my weekend/occasional lunchtime route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

conseng wrote: »
    I suppose I could drive to the local cross country about 10 mins away which has a 1.5k loop but it is much easier just to jog from the door early in the morning. I have been doing 3 mile recovery runs on the pitch but its boring enough even at that distance. No track sessions at the minute until I get the miles up for a while and until our nice new track is completed:D; Just need a dry week or 2 I'm told.
    Do you run in Belleek at all? I find that a good comprise between road and pitch. Pitch is boring alright, but I do notice its good for the recovery runs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can someone recommend training plan or schedule to take me up to the jingle bells 5k on December 6th?

I plan on running Dublin Marathon on October 27th and then taking some time off from running for a few weeks.

I'm away on holidays from November 5th to 22nd where I amy (or may not) do some easy runs.

But in the 2 weeks leading up to the 5K run what would people recommend I do? It's not a goal race or anything but I would like to get back into some sort of routine around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend training plan or schedule to take me up to the jingle bells 5k on December 6th?

I plan on running Dublin Marathon on October 27th and then taking some time off from running for a few weeks.

I'm away on holidays from November 5th to 22nd where I amy (or may not) do some easy runs.

But in the 2 weeks leading up to the 5K run what would people recommend I do? It's not a goal race or anything but I would like to get back into some sort of routine around then.
    Hi Adrian, 2 weeks isn't really enough time to have any impact from a goal-specific training perspective, so the best thing to do is to get back into regular easy running, and after 4-5 days, introduce some strides or fartleks, just to get the legs a little more accustomed to faster paces. If you could do some easy runs on holidays, then you could probably consider a 5k-specific session when you get back (like 4 x 800m @5k pace), but otherwise, I'd leave it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, I was thinking I was going to get that sort of advice alright. Not much fitness gains to be made that close to the race.

ideally I'd like to PB in this race as 5K is the only PB still standing from 2013!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, I was thinking I was going to get that sort of advice alright. Not much fitness gains to be made that close to the race.

ideally I'd like to PB in this race as 5K is the only PB still standing from 2013!

You could be surprised what you can do on the back of marathon training, you could try a few increasing effort 5k's (parkruns) post the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ooter

RayCun wrote: »
    Forget about it

Thanks,didn't need to be told twice.:)
    I'll get back on the horse tomorrow.

You could be surprised what you can do on the back of marathon training, you could try a few increasing effort 5k's (parkruns) post the holidays.

Thanks, yeah that's what I'm hoping, I really want to get back into doing 'something' prior to Christmas and not arrive back in February with all my fitness gone like this year!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Do you run in Belleek at all? I find that a good comprise between road and pitch. Pitch is boring alright, but I do notice its good for the recovery runs.

I do but I need to drive to there. Will probably link up with the fit 4 life group there a bit over the winter. Great gravel trails at the foot of the ox mountains above Bonniconlon but they are more of a weekend run also.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any experienced runners know if there is any noticeable difference with cold weather running and mild-warm weather running? 5 k distances. I am going to run in a race in December and I expect it to be real chilly. I love running in warm-hot weather. Any tips?

Are recovery runs mandatory? Even for beginners who are just managing 5k without breaks? Because my legs are destroyed the day after a 5k run, need at least 48 hours before I can go out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

walshb wrote: »
    Any experienced runners know if there is any noticeable difference with cold weather running and mild-warm weather running? 5 k distances. I am going to run in a race in December and I expect it to be real chilly. I love running in warm-hot weather. Any tips?

Layers, maybe wear a running jacket and hat warming up and then whip them off just before the start, then put them back on again when you're finished.

I read somewhere that "if you're not shivering on the start line you're overdressed" or something along those lines.

I don't think you'll get sick from cold during a 5k, it's the before and after that will do the harm if you're not sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Are recovery runs mandatory? Even for beginners who are just managing 5k without breaks? Because my legs are destroyed the day after a 5k run, need at least 48 hours before I can go out again.

No, but some kind of recovery activity might be a good idea. The theoretical purpose of the activity is to get blood flowing to the areas that have been damaged by training to help them repair more quickly. Trial and error!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pointer28 wrote: »
    Layers, maybe wear a running jacket and hat warming up and then whip them off just before the start, then put them back on again when you're finished.

I read somewhere that "if you're not shivering on the start line you're overdressed" or something along those lines.

I don't think you'll get sick from cold during a 5k, it's the before and after that will do the harm if you're not sensible.

Thanks. Shivering on the start line. I don't like the sound of that. I am just curious as to whether I will be able to run as freely and fast as in warm conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

It's all relative, for some of us 5k is a recovery run, for others it's still a target to reach, don't worry about what others are doing.

How about a 30 minute walk or a quick spin on a bicycle instead? Either will loosen out your muscles nicely.

Advertisement