Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭whelzer

Thanks for all the worn-out-runners comments. I'm resting tonight so will give them an honest appraisal after Saturdays long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Anyone know any decent online places that will deliver trainers on time?

Ordered off m and m direct and the ba*tards issue a refund today at my first query as to where they were. I'd been waiting over a week. I'm just wondering if anyone has a good list of places that are reliable. I've used Sports Direct in the past too. Obviously need to be guaranteed these'll arrive very soon as need to break them in for the 27th.

Maybe at this stage I'm better off just going in somewhere getting tested and buy a decent pair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sports shoes and wiggle are the two that I've used. You may be better off going to a shop though as the sizes can vary even among shoes from the same manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

adrian522 wrote: »
    Sports shoes and wiggle are the two that I've used. You may be better off going to a shop though as the sizes can vary even among shoes from the same manufacturer.

Wiggle are top notch. I only buy shoes online if I have already worn the same make and model before.

As for the question on worn out runners. I will usually change when the cushioning is dead or the upper is gone. Saying that though, I have put over 800 miles on a pair of racing flats. I only stopped using them when i could feel my foot touching the ground and the stitching was bursting. Not recommended.

The upper and cushioning usually goes a long time before I wear out the sole. I am 69kg and fairly light on my feet.

The type of shoe and your running form dictates which part of the shoe will go first. Just because the sole isn't worn out does not mean the shoe is still good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Pro-direct Running and Start Fitness are two other decent sites if you know what your looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en

Always found their delivery times to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

davedanon wrote: »
    Personally I can never tell whether shoes are 'alive' or 'dead'. I'm not particularly heavy at around 75kg but I wear the outer left heel really badly, probably the legacy of a broken ankle aeons ago. 200 miles seems mental to me. That's maybe 1 month's training? Crazy. I'll give most pairs at least 3 months. By then the heel has worn down a good way, but usually the rest of the shoe is still immaculate. The way I see it is, after three months my shoe has been worn down to where my running action wants it. I really don't feel as though it causes me any extra problems after that point, although I do tend to change anyway. Any excuse to buy new shoes!

I Used to change my shoes every 3 months as well. The gaff ended up looking like Imelda Marcus was sub letting, the place.........I fell into the trap of believing that old line about replacing shoes after so many miles. But I decided to just use one pair until they physically fell apart, just to see what would happen. I've now been using the same pair of brooks T7s for the last 18 months(and I do all my runs in them) and my legs have never been stronger, no niggles at all. They're literally falling to pieces and so now I have to get a new pair because I look like a hobo wearing them, but this new pair will be it for at least another 18 months. I just don't think you need to replace runners as often as we're led to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

tunguska wrote: »
    I Used to change my shoes every 3 months as well. The gaff ended up looking like Imelda Marcus was sub letting, the place.........I fell into the trap of believing that old line about replacing shoes after so many miles. But I decided to just use one pair until they physically fell apart, just to see what would happen. I've now been using the same pair of brooks T7s for the last 18 months(and I do all my runs in them) and my legs have never been stronger, no niggles at all. They're literally falling to pieces and so now I have to get a new pair because I look like a hobo wearing them, but this new pair will be it for at least another 18 months. I just don't think you need to replace runners as often as we're led to believe.

I think you're a heretic. BURN HIM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Have to say I'm not sure after reading above post whether I should bother, like they feel grand, the ones I like best. I've run about 700km in them in around 6 months. Alternating between 3 pairs actually, think I'll save my money.

Is everyone or anyone bothering with High 5s or the likes? I tried one one time on a long run but tbh I'm not sure I'm going to bother in the future. The water or maybe the Lucozade does me fine I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭ooter

On the subject of the lifespan of shoes,my current ones have 500 miles on the clock over the last 3 months,I have a new pair that I was going to start wearing for my long run this Sunday and for the next 2 weeks in the build up to DCM 14.would they be sufficiently broken in by then or would I be better off sticking with the current ones till after the marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ooter wrote: »
    On the subject of the lifespan of shoes,my current ones have 500 miles on the clock over the last 3 months,I have a new pair that I was going to start wearing for my long run this Sunday and for the next 2 weeks in the build up to DCM 14.would they be sufficiently broken in by then or would I be better off sticking with the current ones till after the marathon?

wear the new ones for a couple of weeks, decide in the week before the marathon which ones you're more comfortable in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

ooter wrote: »

If they are the same make and model as the current ones they'll be fine within 1 or 2 runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Random question: there is a small park in my estate in swords. How would I be able to figure out the distance around the park without a gps watch? Is there an iPhone app for such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

For the past yr or so i've bee running max 3-4 times /week about 5-9km. I recently twinged my back slightly and didnt run for weeks. Restarted running about 2 weeks ago and decided to do short 3.5km run but more often 5-6 times/week. Which is better, a few longer run or more shorter runs.
    I've dont 2 5k's in the past fortnight but found them tough!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm no expert but I would have thought it best to mix up your runs a bit rather than the same distance all the time. Maybe aim for 4 runs per week, with 3 shortish runs during the week and a longer run on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

KJ wrote: »
    Random question: there is a small park in my estate in swords. How would I be able to figure out the distance around the park without a gps watch? Is there an iPhone app for such a thing?
    Yep. Try Strava. Won't be as accurate as a GPS watch, but it;ll be close enough. The alternative is to try something like MapPedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

KJ wrote: »
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/ will allow you to map out a course (using Google Maps data), pretty good for that. There's lots of similar options. It's not 100% accurate, but good enough for running purposes

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Question for people who have paced races - will a normal balloon do the job or do you use helium filled balloons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

What happened to the boards.ie AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Question for people who have paced races - will a normal balloon do the job or do you use helium filled balloons?

We always have helium filled balloons (except in Dublin where we're carrying a flag on a bagpack). "Normal" balloons would be rather useless, I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

At the moment I can run a 44 minute-ish 10k... Post DCM, with a specific training cycle, how much could I feasibly hope to knock off that over 12 weeks or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

JohnDozer wrote: »
    At the moment I can run a 44 minute-ish 10k... Post DCM, with a specific training cycle, how much could I feasibly hope to knock off that over 12 weeks or so?

www.mcmillanrunning.com

Enter your finishing time from DCM and it'll give you an idea, but be sure you're properly recovered from DCM before jumping into hard 10k training or you'll be unlikely to even make the start line for your 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

pointer28 wrote: »
    www.mcmillanrunning.com

Enter your finishing time from DCM and it'll give you an idea, but be sure you're properly recovered from DCM before jumping into hard 10k training or you'll be unlikely to even make the start line for your 10k.

Thanks for that. My current 10k time gives me a potential marathon time in Dublin that I am fairly sure I won't achieve. Surely if I put it in to McMillan it will tell me I can do a slower 10k than I presently can? I was more asking about potential improvement after a specific cycle of training...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well, you'll certainly start your 10k training with a good aerobic base after the marathon training.

Maybe do a Parkrun or a local 5k at the start of your plan to give you something to work from?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Running on grass:

Building my mileage back up in recent weeks and have read recommendations to do as much as possible of my running on grass. Do posters here agree on the merits of this and do ye run much on grass? I have been doing a bit on a local GAA pitch close to home but find it a bit boring and I'm getting sick of wet shoes already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

conseng wrote: »
    Running on grass:

Building my mileage back up in recent weeks and have read recommendations to do as much as possible of my running on grass. Do posters here agree on the merits of this and do ye run much on grass? I have been doing a bit on a local GAA pitch close to home but find it a bit boring and I'm getting sick of wet shoes already.

I do almost all of my running on roads, and really could not imagine doing decent distances on grass.

The one thing to take care of is to build mileage very gradually. The rule of thumb is to increase your weekly distance by a maximum of 10%, though that's a very general guideline and your own experience might differ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Running on grass:

Yes its good for avoiding injury, gives a bit of strength and endurance running on grass. The cons include as you say bad underfoot conditions. boredom and it can slow you down by 10-15 secs per mile versus road which ( I have found) can stick you into a bit of a rut

Running on grass:

If you're really just running around a single GAA pitch, then I can absolutely believe it got tedious very quickly. Is there no park nearby? Re: running surfaces, the old saw (for marathoning anyway) was "do 50% of your running on grass. Always do your long run on the road". So, in effect, your recovery runs would be on the grass, if you were doing two track sessions a week, or one track session and a tempo or similar. That's just my experience and opinion though.

youngrun wrote: »
    Yes its good for avoiding injury, gives a bit of strength and endurance running on grass. The cons include as you say bad underfoot conditions. boredom and it can slow you down by 10-15 secs per mile versus road which ( I have found) can stick you into a bit of a rut

just seen this. It would suit then to do recovery runs on the grass, no? you're not worried about speed, for one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do people recommend running uphill instead of the flat for someone starting out or should it be avoided? I have a really nice route I love doing right behind my house but you have to run up Bray Head to get there, all my other routes are on concrete and exposed to traffic fumes which I hate...

Advertisement