Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

bnt wrote: »
    A week ago I watched Flags Of Our Fathers, then last night I watched Letters from Iwo Jima

Wanted to watch Letters From Iwo Jima on TV but the tasteless bastards I live with wouldn't watch it cuz "it's subtitled shìte" and promptly changed the channel over to "White Chicks" and laughed their asses off :confused:

I need new housemates.

And I can't get them to watch Mystic River either, they think a dark story like that would be crap. *slaps forehead*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

saw kevin and perry go large last nite... awful stupid film, i shuda watched it when i was like 12.. mite have been funny then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I saw Moon last night, very good. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

I like Soderbergh's remake (or reimagining based on the book if you like) of Solaris, as a slow burning piece of sf that makes you think.

Sunshine is good too - the first hour and a bit is about building psychological tension and offers up some nice ideas, though it abandons this in the last half hour.

Contact, with Jodie Foster, might fit the bill.

And of course 2001 is an obvious suggestion (and to a lesser extent the sequel 2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last night, after I watched Letters from Iwo Jima, I noticed that Punch-Drunk Love was about to start on TV, so I watched that too. It's such a distinctive-looking film that I immediately realised that I must have seen it before, or at least bits of it. I mean, how do you forget an opening few minutes that feature
    a) Adam Sandler in the most horrendous blue suit; b) a car crashing in to a parked car at high speed and flying through the air, for no apparent reason; and c) a cab dropping off a harmonium at the entrance to the business park
    ? You can watch the opening here if you like - it's truly bizarre.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I watched Mystic River last night. Very heavy film.

Great cast, great acting and a very good storyline.

Having read the book I didn't really know what to expect but I was very surprised how good it was. And seeing as it was Clint that directed it, that explained it all

May I recommend "Gone Baby Gone" to you. An excellent film, based on a book by the same author as that of "Mystic River" - Dennis Lehane. It is possibly the best film I have seen in a decade....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

Im watching face off now.. quality film completely ridiculous but i still love it..

watched my own private idaho earlier today, hadn't seen it in ages really enjoyed it, my favorite river phoenix film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Ally Dick wrote: »
    May I recommend "Gone Baby Gone" to you.

+1
    Amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Watched "The Informer!" today.
    I'm perplexed! It was fine, it ticked all the boxes. Great performances all round and scripting was top notch...but I just feel like it was a 3/5 movie. Cant put my finger on why though. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just watching Lethal Weapon 2 at the minute. Brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Public Enemies - Didnt like it much. Thought it was very slow moving, didnt feel anything for the characters - didnt care if they got caught or not. Thought it was badly shot too, the camera work was shaky at times and also it was often difficult to tell what exactly was going on in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

There's a movie on tomorrow night called Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. It looks terrible. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I watched a Korean gangster film called "A Dirty Carnival" yesterday. I thought it was terrific. The fight scenes were particularly excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Watched Paranormal Activity. People say it's really scary, it's not. It's very, very boring. Nearly fell asleep.

New Moon was hysterical! Loved it! Lautner is a crap actor, can't deliver any of his lines properly but he takes his shirt off every ten seconds so he's forgiven. Can't stand Pattinson. Good actor but in this film you don't have to be good at acting, you NEED to look great with your top off. He does not.
    Overly dramatic scenes throughout. All round brilliant film. I wanna see it again!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Orphan: Mediocre psychological thriller. They seemed to care more about the UV reactive paint then developing any sort of meaningful viewer based relationship with the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Saw 'Stuck' with Stephan Rea, excellent film based on a true incident where a woman hits a man with her car and he ends up embeded in her windscreen and she just drives home and parks him up in the garage..

Also saw 'Eden Lake' nasty british horror about a couple who go off camping for a romantic weekend - but run into a bunch of teenage yobs.. not for the faint hearted..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

Watched Gamer last night. Started off well, some good ideas about the future of entertainment but lacking in story, character building and a ridiculous dance scene with Michael C Hall that nearly turned me off Dexter. Generally a 6/10 movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (German with English subtitles) is currently showing on Sky Movies Premier.

I strongly recommend you watch this movie; powerful, moving and graphicaly violent movie about the notorious left-wing urban guerilla group the Red Army Faction and their campaign of terror in West Germany in the 1970's. However, if it was attempting to paint the so-called anarchists in a sympathetic light at all, it failed. I was always rooting for the so-called fascists in government (led, ironically, by Bruno Ganz) in their own fight against the R.A.F.

Great movie, but heavy stuff. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Just watched Paranormal Activity, and was very disappointed.

Apart from the obvious American 'has to be an ending' Horror movie that can't get away without using some gore, I spent most of the film getting more and more annoyed at how much this film has just ripped off ideas from other original works such as The Blair Witch & Cloverfield. But most of all the fact that the majority of the scares seemed to be pulled straight from the ten minute film at the start of The Descent 2 at the Horrorthon. If it really was ripped off from that I think it is just sick to rip off an original idea by an up and coming director who is just trying to get his work out there.

Overall the build up was far too slow and choppy to get any real suspense going and by the end the it was all thrown together so shabby that it really didn't get the shock value it was aiming for. The hype around this movie is generating the scares more than the movie. People want to get scared when they go to see it. I'd recommend picking up an Asian Extreme movie instead and find out what its really like to not being able to sleep for a week.

Caught a viewing of "Singing in the Rain" in teh screen yesterday and it was brilliant. I forgot how funny that movie was. Debbie R. really held her own up against two titans od the big screen. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Skinfull wrote: »
    Caught a viewing of "Singing in the Rain" in teh screen yesterday and it was brilliant. I forgot how funny that movie was. Debbie R. really held her own up against two titans od the big screen. Brilliant.

So the the Classic Movies thread is have some effect then :)

Yeah, isn't it class. I fantastic film that is missed by so many because it's a musical.

Although, I forgot it was a musical watching it. There isn't that many songs and when there is they fit like dialouge.

I love it.

I'm off to Oklahoma tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

OutlawPete wrote: »

Yeah, isn't it class. I fantastic film that is missed by so many because it's a musical.

Although, I forgot it was a musical watching it. There isn't that many songs and when there is they fit like dialouge.

I love it.

I was dragged to Oklahoma a few years ago - pleasantly surprised!

I watched recently and in this order:

State Of Play - It was grand if a little slow at parts, Russell Crowe was great - 6/10
    The Hurt Locker - Brilliant tense and great acting - 8/10
    The Kingdom - Not quite as realistic as THL, but as an action yarn it was okay and the message at the end rang true even if everything previous to that message didn't quite reach that level - 7/10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There's a movie on tomorrow night called Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. It looks terrible. Can't wait.

Ahhh, does exactly what it says on the tin. Mega Shark & Giant Octopus.

Where to start? Repeated scenes over and over, army with new equipement (ray bans) the Godawfulness (its a word) of the CGI, the top notch acting (sense the sarcasm) etc, etc.

Seriously my eyes actually started bleeding, until i dragged myself from the couch and ran screaming into the street.

I wasn't expecting miracles but God........ i think i'm actually crying.........:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

OutlawPete wrote: »

I love it.

Well I've had SitR on my radar since I missed the last screening. Not a huge fan of OK but I'll watch it if I catch it on tv. Hoping against hope Wizard of Oz will get a few more screenings other than 7th and 8th.
    ezridax wrote: »
    Ahhh, does exactly what it says on the tin. Mega Shark & Giant Octopus.

Where to start? Repeated scenes over and over, army with new equipement (ray bans) the Godawfulness (its a word) of the CGI, the top notch acting (sense the sarcasm) etc, etc.

Seriously my eyes actually started bleeding, until i dragged myself from the couch and ran screaming into the street.

I wasn't expecting miracles but God........ i think i'm actually crying.........:D

Oh man I LOVE this movie! Its brilliant!! the "plot" is so genius that I can almost imagine politicians thinking it would work!
    After you watch this..run out and watch "Sharks in Venice" and you'll really appreciate how awesome MS V GO is! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just when you thought you had seen all the giant animals/fish you could see they follow up with this kack:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Went to see The Men Who Stare at Goats today.

Laughed throughout.

Clooney is great in comedic roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Just watched Pandorum. Thought it was brilliant.
    Also recently watched Looking for Eric, which was also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

MOON:

Sam Rockwell plays a guy working on the titular rock for 3 years when, near the end of his time there, discovers something that completely changes his whole world.

Small-budget film with possibly the most beautiful imagery, music and acting I've ever come across in this genre. Something about it was akin to Sunshine, possibly its unrelenting level of tension, or the feeling of claustrophobia and loneliness.

Directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, who is clearly a brilliant filmmaker. Sam Rockwell is my new favourite actor, smeone who can be funny and serious, aggressive and vulnerable in the blink of an eye.

CHOKE:

Another Rockwell flick, based on Chuck Palahniuk's novel, diected by Clark Gregg, the amusing SHIELD rep from Iron Man.

Tells the twisted tale of a sexaholic and his demented mother, all set against a background of a mental hospital, sex addict meetings and a Ye Olden Times kinda place.

Funky, quirky, fun. I liked it. Kelly MacDonald is in it, and she is gorgeous, and sweet and adorable, and a very decent actress.

PUSH:

Obviously intended as Episode One of at least a trilogy, this film had plenty of promise but fell down in several areas.

Firstly, the story of a number of mutants with specific powers being chased by a black ops intel agency is not fresh, even if the powers and backdrops kind of are.

Secondly the cinematography and overall production seemed sketchy, too much so for my tastes, the camera hopping about but not knowing exactly what to do, the action sequences a little too choppy (possibly for lower age restriction).

Thirdly the MacGuffin is confusing and intangible, and the overall mystery too boring. The lady in distress is unlikeable.

But I like Chris Evans, he's a fun actor and did his own stunts, and the little lady with the big brain Dakota Fanning is as usual, preternaturally mature in acting and expression, to the point of creepiness (intentional?)

Overall: coulda been great if produced more tightly and had a better balance of acting chops and action.

UP:

Perfect Pixar film. Loved every minute. Astounds me how brilliant Pixar films are, and seemingly effortlessly so (until you watch behind the scenes). Really had me walking out of the cinema smiling.

THE HURT LOCKER:

Amazing, understated film. Left a huge impact on me after watching it: the story of bomb-techs in Iraq, doing what they do under the constant threat of getting killed by the bomb-makers, who, unafraid, watch from their homes, wating for their moment.

The physical and emotional traumas and hardships are in graphic detail in this film. No one is the perfect hero. Mistakes are made, especially by the main guy, a seemingly care-free maverick but who soon shows his true colours.

Highly recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

ezridax wrote: »
    Just when you thought you had seen all the giant animals/fish you could see they follow up with this kack:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

STRAIGHT TO DVD................WHOOOOSH!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Paranormal Activity- Didnt like it all,could see how cheap it was made,not usually a problem but found the film went nowhere, sitting room - bed room back and forth.
    There was people in the cinema laughing and found myself laughing out loud a good few times.

Transformers 2 - Knew exactly what to expect from this Michael Bay film.Sat back and took it all in overall liked it nothing epic tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Transformers 2 was the most OTT boring CG-fest ever released imho. 2.5 hours of self-indulgent drivel. It showed promise at the start, but it was a horrible film. Way too sexy for a kids film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement