Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

A Serious Man

Loved this, it's a good-looking, engaging, humorous movie all wrapped up as dark as the deepest night. Another viewing to come, I think. Give it a miss if you're not feeling chipper, it's pretty bleak on the surface :)

Likely to divide opinion, I have to say I'm a fan of all the Cohen's movies, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kriskross

Check out La Vie En Rose if you've not seen it---Biopic of Edith Piaf..Superb acting.

That Damned United Michael Sheen and Colm Meaney play Brian Clough and Don Revie...Utterly hilarious at times!

50 Dead Men Walking Jim Sturgess is excellent as Martin McGartland, recruited by the IRA and the Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Gangs of new youk
    some film did you no that zommo from fair city has a part on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

cmpunk wrote: »
    Gangs of new youk
    some film did you no that zommo from fair city has a part on it ?

:confused:

do you mean Gangs of New York has a Fair City actor starring in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Auvers wrote: »

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Ha Ha

You said fair City and Actor in the same sentence...that must be a first !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fargo:

Was a little weird but having said that I really enjoyed it. The accents in that film are just crazy.
    Very good though and well worth a watch.

When I seen that first I nearly walked out after 20 mins. When I left the cinema though I felt that it would be one of my favourite movies of all time. Those Coen's are not well :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Inglourious Basterds.

Awful, just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sure Rishteard Cooper of Apres Match fame is in "Batman Begins"

Love Actually - Watched it recently and really enjoyed it! Funny, emotional, and great performances especially from Emma Thompson.

The Polar Express - Blu Ray and it was astounding. Got me ready for the season thats in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Up'

Over-rated, if you ask me. But a fine example of animated movie making no less.

There are no stupid songs in the film, in its favor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Star Trek on Blu-Ray. Great film..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back on UTV/ ITV.

Fcuking unreal! :D

And I'm fairly sure "Return of the Jedi" is on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

i don't think any film was as bad as Deathproof

I really liked Deathproof :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

The Deerhunter,robert de nero have watched it 5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

Moon and its absolutely amazing it might be in my top 20 movies already

2010 and it was very good, not as good as 2001 but it tried it all together and the very end was kinda satisfying...i don't know why but it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I watched 'The Tournament' earlier .... no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

28 Days later, had this on tape for months now, sod all on tv tonight so went rumageing.

Not bad, I find Boyles style a bit too frentic to be honest, exellent performaces esp Brendan Gleeson. I wonder how many people miss the other ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just watched Harry Brown and found it pretty good, anyone who was disappointed with the lack of violence in Gran Torino will enjoy this.

Very violent and a strange sense of satisfaction against the scumbags. Don't fùck with a pensioner, especially if he looks and talks like Micheal Caine. :D

Caine ruled this film and every time he was on-screen he grabbed your attention fully as he delivered his lines with typical Caine class. There's definitely a whiff of Get Carter 2 here.

Weakest points?
    The superintendent was such a clichèd, stiff-upper lip bureaucrat that I winced whenever he opened his gob. Possibly more-so the fault of miscasting the actor. A lot of people complained about the female cop but I didn't find she became too emotionally involved with Harry's shenanagins.

The use of stock footage of fire, smoke, and CGI blood seemed distracting but that's a very, very minor quibble.

The message of the film also seems a bit distorted, who's to blame for this kind of violence; Parents? Society? Lack of justice by the police?. Granted Harry retaliating with violent justice is something a lot of us would love to do to some scumbags, especially if our lives were ruled and crumbling like his. But that just continues a cycle, right?

But as a revenge flick, this stands up there nicely with the best without ever turning to lunacy or preach you with a idealogic message.

A fitting final shot nicely wraps up this violent, honestly thought-provoking film.

Bring on Harry Brown 2 where they'll send him to clean up the streets of Baghdad :p

Seillejet wrote: »
    I really liked Deathproof :confused:

I'm tired of fighting about Death Proof. Possibly the best night I have ever had at the cinema (Savoy One and Mr Tarantino was there drinking Guinness :)).

Loved every second.

Kurt Russell screaming "Help me" to the girls after he tried to kill them was one of the funniest moments in cinema history. I still crack up just thinking about it :D

Seen Law Abiding Citizen tonight. The popcorn was nice ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Anyone see 'Deep Cover' with Larry Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum ? One of my very favourites

Kriskross wrote: »

50 Dead Men Walking Jim Sturgess is excellent as Martin McGartland, recruited by the IRA and the Brits.

I second that. A SUPERB film

jayteecork wrote: »
    Inglourious Basterds.

Awful, just awful.

Shockingly bad. A wasted opportunity. I got a very bad vibe off this looking at the trailers when I saw the ridiculous comedy face that Brad Pitt kept pulling. It was like he was making a US remake of Dad's Army. I don't understand how Tarantino could have wasted such a great opportunity to make a SERIOUS war film. He can't resist smart ass dialogue and dragged out scenes. I mean, the opening scene of the film is just RIDICULOUS. It goes on for fifteen minutes. It drags out too much, just like most of his work.

mike65 wrote: »
    28 Days later, had this on tape for months now, sod all on tv tonight so went rumageing.

Not bad, I find Boyles style a bit too frentic to be honest, exellent performaces esp Brendan Gleeson. I wonder how many people miss the other ending?

You've gotta see 28 Weeks Later. A superior sequel in my opinion. By the way just watched Dead Set, the zombie/Big Brother satire. I thought it was the best zombie film/series of the lot. Anyone else like it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

surely you cant be serious with the last 2 posts???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Law Abiding Citizen. Entertaining, but the ending was a bit naff. Gave away the "secret" of the plot a bit too early. Left the final 15-20 minutes somewhat predictable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Boys Don't Cry - Very good film. I watched it on friday night and have been thinking a lot about this film since.

Paranormal Activity - A good scare, not much else really. Was worth the watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A week ago I watched Flags Of Our Fathers, then last night I watched Letters from Iwo Jima. These two films, both directed by Clint Eastwood, tell the story of the battle for Iwo Jima from the American and Japanese sides respectively, though the first film also covers the controversy surrounding the famous "flag-raising" image, and how it was used to "sell" the war in the Pacific to the American people.

I preferred the second film, which has a stand-out performance from Ken Watanabe as General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, who led the Japanese resistance, but had to fight opposition to his methods among his officers. He was unusual in that he spoke English, had studied at Harvard, and had spent time in the USA and Canada as a military attaché - so he had a good idea of what American forces could do. His tactics turned what should have been a simple walkover of a small island in to a gruelling month-long battle in underground tunnels.

I thought both films were impressive, but there's not much joy to be had from a realistic depiction of war. Few soldiers or civilians knew what was really happening - propaganda and the fog of war kept everyone in the dark. Neither film spares the audience much gore: soldiers taking direct hits from artillery, arms ripped off at the elbow and gushing blood, or chests ripped open by shrapnel to look like the autopsy is already under way. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I saw Moon last night, very good. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I watched Mystic River last night. Very heavy film.

Great cast, great acting and a very good storyline.

Having read the book I didn't really know what to expect but I was very surprised how good it was. And seeing as it was Clint that directed it, that explained it all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement