Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Standing By Population

Options
  • 03-08-2015 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed this post in the All-Ireland thread and upon looking at it it's remarkable how close the population tallies to counties standing in football.

I'm colour coding the list to show.
    cjmc wrote: »

Division 1
    Division 2
    Division 3
    Division 4

1 Dublin 1,273,069
    2 Antrim 618,108
    3 Down 531,665
    4 Cork 519,032
    5 Galway 250,541
    6 Derry 247,132
    7 Kildare 210,312
    8 Limerick 191,809
    9 Meath 184,135
    10 Tyrone 179,000
    11 Armagh 174,792
    12 Donegal 161,137
    13 Tipperary 158,754
    14 Kerry 145,502
    15 Wexford 145,320
    16 Wicklow 136,640
    17 Mayo 130,638
    18 Louth 122,897
    19 Clare 117,196
    20 Waterford 113,795
    22 Westmeath 86,164
    23 Laois 80,559
    24 Offaly 76,687
    25 Cavan 73,183
    26 Sligo 65,393
    27 Roscommon64,065
    28 Fermanagh 61,170
    29 Monaghan 60,483
    30 Carlow 54,612
    31 Longford 39,000
    32 Leitrim 31,796

As expected

5 of the top 6 counties by population are Div 1 & 2
    9 of the top 12 counties by population are Div 1 & 2
    The bottom 3 counties are all Division 3 & 4.
    8 of the middle 16 counties are Div 2 & 3

There's counties of course punching above their weight.

Monaghan and Roscommon with the 6th and 4th lowest population in the county are in Div 1.
    Fermanagh with the 5th lowest are in Div 2 and got to the last 16 in the AI this year.

And counties who have big populations but low standing.
    Antrim - mainly unionist county with a big hurling culture
    Kildare - No excuse, football county with 7th biggest population should be better.
    Limerick - Hurling county
    Tipp - Hurling county

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I can't believe Cavan has that many people living in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can't believe Cavan has that many people living in it.

I thought it would be more. There's a ton of decent sized towns in cavan, but the county town is pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What about London?

What about London?

Computer says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Nice work. The numbers for Tyrone and Armagh seem high.
    The only aspect that smaller counties can compete in is skill and teamwork.
    How many top natural athletes in counties with less than 80k? You cannot turn anyone into an MDMA or James ODonoghue. Requires a base level of natural speed and power. Training just brings you closer to your genetic ceiling of improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Nobody obviously lives in Kilkenny?

Not listed at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's kind of instinctive to look at those results and go "More population = Better players etc." however as we should all know correlation != causation. Granted there is *some* relation between population and football standing, however this could be any number of things. Could be that more people generally leads to a larger playing population within the county, or perhaps its the greater financial support that follows from a larger base of supporters?

In some cases this proves definitely that the structures that you set in place for youth players and training facilities have a big impact, as how else could teams like Kerry or Mayo punch consistenly 'above their weight'? It certainly ain't something in the water.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Nobody obviously lives in Kilkenny?

Not listed at all??
    They only play football at junior level.

How many top natural athletes in counties with less than 80k? You cannot turn anyone into an MDMA or James ODonoghue. Requires a base level of natural speed and power. Training just brings you closer to your genetic ceiling of improvement.

Monaghan are really amazing in that regard. They've managed to unearth a couple of super talented footballers, 1/2 of whom would grace any side, but they've got a system and a physicality which has enabled them to leapfrog 25/26 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

So 3 of bottom six got to quarters.,..

Really interesting table. If pop was all tho, Dublin would win lots more..

You'd wonder is there some way of providing coaches say on basis of x coaches per head of population or playing population... .. Prob completely impractical and costly tho.

tradition plays a huge part too..not to mention lucky? Co incidence of great players and coaches.

If you were on county board of division 3 etc tho surely you'd be looking at could ties currently operating above their weight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

32 counties........Wheres kilkenny?

sabhail wrote: »
    So three of bottom six got to quarters ..one to semi...

Two of the bottom 6 got to Quarters. None are in a semi yet.

askU wrote: »
    32 counties........Wheres kilkenny?

They don't have a senior county football team.

Jayop wrote: »
    Monaghan are really amazing in that regard. They've managed to unearth a couple of super talented footballers, 1/2 of whom would grace any side, but they've got a system and a physicality which has enabled them to leapfrog 25/26 counties.
    Yes agreed on that. In terms of physical side they've hit the weights and protein shakes. But they lack the pace of Dublin/Kerry/Mayo.
    But their dedication to being better team wise and skill wise is admirable.

timmyntc wrote: »
    It's kind of instinctive to look at those results and go "More population = Better players etc." however as we should all know correlation != causation. Granted there is *some* relation between population and football standing, however this could be any number of things. Could be that more people generally leads to a larger playing population within the county, or perhaps its the greater financial support that follows from a larger base of supporters?

In some cases this proves definitely that the structures that you set in place for youth players and training facilities have a big impact, as how else could teams like Kerry or Mayo punch consistenly 'above their weight'? It certainly ain't something in the water.

History and tradition count for a lot as well as playing numbers and financial resources. I wouldn't think there's too many counties in Ireland that outspend Kerry or Mayo, and probably not too many with bigger pools of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Obligatory mention of Unionist populations not mentioned.

In that regard Fermanagh are doing great stuff the last 15 years or so. 1 Semi final, 2 quarters and played in Division 1.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

K-9 wrote: »
    Obligatory mention of Unionist populations not mentioned.

In that regard Fermanagh are doing great stuff the last 15 years or so. 1 Semi final, 2 quarters and played in Division 1.

TBF I did mention it in the OP but only for Antrim. I think there's 4 of the northern 6 with bigger nationalist numbers anyway and only Antrim and Down are really heavily effected by that. Antrim should still have the population to cope but I guess they're way more of a hurling county.

Down have a great history so they've been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Noticed this post in the All-Ireland thread and upon looking at it it's remarkable how close the population tallies to counties standing in football.

I'm colour coding the list to show.

Division 1
    Division 2
    Division 3
    Division 4

1 Dublin 1,273,069
    2 Antrim 618,108
    3 Down 531,665
    4 Cork 519,032
    5 Galway 250,541
    6 Derry 247,132
    7 Kildare 210,312
    8 Limerick 191,809
    9 Meath 184,135
    10 Tyrone 179,000
    11 Armagh 174,792
    12 Donegal 161,137
    13 Tipperary 158,754
    14 Kerry 145,502
    15 Wexford 145,320
    16 Wicklow 136,640
    17 Mayo 130,638
    18 Louth 122,897
    19 Clare 117,196
    20 Waterford 113,795
    22 Westmeath 86,164
    23 Laois 80,559
    24 Offaly 76,687
    25 Cavan 73,183
    26 Sligo 65,393
    27 Roscommon64,065
    28 Fermanagh 61,170
    29 Monaghan 60,483
    30 Carlow 54,612
    31 Longford 39,000
    32 Leitrim 31,796

As expected

5 of the top 6 counties by population are Div 1 & 2
    9 of the top 12 counties by population are Div 1 & 2
    The bottom 3 counties are all Division 3 & 4.
    8 of the middle 16 counties are Div 2 & 3

There's counties of course punching above their weight.

Monaghan and Roscommon with the 6th and 4th lowest population in the county are in Div 1.
    Fermanagh with the 5th lowest are in Div 2 and got to the last 16 in the AI this year.

And counties who have big populations but low standing.
    Antrim - mainly unionist county with a big hurling culture
    Kildare - No excuse, football county with 7th biggest population should be better.
    Limerick - Hurling county
    Tipp - Hurling county

Thanks
    With all the talk about championship systems it shows how much size/ population plays in it .
    Apart from Kerry it seem !!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

21 is missing.

They don't have a senior county football team.

should be 31 counties then?

cjmc wrote: »
    Thanks
    With all the talk about championship systems it shows how much size/ population plays in it .
    Apart from Kerry it seem !!
    Kerry and Mayo have massive participation unlike a county like Kildare.
    There are no Knockmores or Garrymores or Ballintubbers in most counties. Knockmore has no town to speak of neither Garrymore. Aghamore no real town just a village.

21 is missing.

who is 21 meant be?

should be 31 counties then?

There is. I just deleted Kilkenny at 21 and it was a cut and paste list. Colouring it in was plenty time consuming without reordering a load of numbers.

who is 21 meant be?

Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TBF I did mention it in the OP but only for Antrim. I think there's 4 of the northern 6 with bigger nationalist numbers anyway and only Antrim and Down are really heavily effected by that. Antrim should still have the population to cope but I guess they're way more of a hurling county.

Down have a great history so they've been fine.

Significant minorities though.

Hurling doesn't have as big an impact as I thought, Offaly the only hurling county in the bottom 10.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kerry and Mayo have massive participation unlike a county like Kildare.
    There are no Knockmores or Garrymores or Ballintubbers in most counties. Knockmore has no town to speak of neither Garrymore. Aghamore no real town just a village.

Some of the club teams are just massive anomalies. Bridgets in Roscommon and even Cross in Armagh.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Significant minorities though.

Hurling doesn't have as big an impact as I thought, Offaly the only hurling county in the bottom 10.

Agreed on both counts.

Ulster football is strong despite the significant minorites who don't support it, but I suppose with the counties being large the size of the potential sponsors is less limited by the religious divide.

By that I mean that, for example, Armagh's sponsor Rainbow communications still has 175k customers to earn money from that it can afford to sponsor the team from regardless of whether they follow GAA or not.

Advertisement