Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ha, would ya look at him!

Options
  • 02-01-2014 10:50pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭

Said I would give this a go. Started running back in May. Initially it was to lose weight, went from 225lbs to 190lbs in 4 months. I've done 2 races, the lakes 10k in 51:40, and clontarf half in 1:53:53.

Goals are to get my 10k down to 45. And the half under 1:50. Kildare half marathon is on my to do list, am keeping an open mind on the 10k races, haven't picked any yet.

10k in 60 mins tonight.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Perfect morning, no wind. Still a little sluggish. 10k in 57 mins.

Total km in 2014 : 20

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Best of luck Beertons.Looks like you and me are quite similiar in both ability and goals for the year ahead. keep it up

Thanks John, same to yourself. I've been looking at your own log for a while, be interesting to see how we progress. No run for me tonight, a bug hit the house on Saturday and knocked us all for six.

The plan was 11k tonight, only managed 8 in 46 mins. Felt sluggish

Total km : 28

The roads were a bit better than the footpaths, you don't have to worry about the cars behind you on the footpaths though. Cold auld morning, but beautiful. 10.5k in 1:04.

Total km : 38.5

• Advertisement

Signed up for The Heath 10k tonight, to see where the base line is at this point in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck with the log - love the title of it :D

Really enjoyable run tonight. If I put the same effort I put n the first and last 10 minutes, it would have been better. Spent a lot of time chatting and catching up. Fast at the same time though. 10k in 56 mins. Setting up a good base for Sunday.

Total km : 49.5

Steady 10k in 57 minutes. Felt sluggish. Got it done though. Roll on Sunday.

Total km : 59.5

The Heath 10k done in 50:07. Just missed my goal time.

Total km : 69.5

• Advertisement

Well done on the result today - you are showing some good progression - congrats too on the weight loss - impressive stuff.

What kind of plan are you following and what the next target race?

Thanks man. No real plan as such, just keep getting out 3 days a week. Short runs on Tuesday and Thursday, and should be cranking up the distance on Saturdays. Wexford half might be on the cards now seen as Kildare was cancelled. I've another 10k planned in 2 weeks, just so I can get under 50 minutes. I'm fairly stubborn, as you might notice.

beertons wrote: »
    Thanks man. No real plan as such, just keep getting out 3 days a week. Short runs on Tuesday and Thursday, and should be cranking up the distance on Saturdays. Wexford half might be on the cards now seen as Kildare was cancelled. I've another 10k planned in 2 weeks, just so I can get under 50 minutes. I'm fairly stubborn, as you might notice.

Just my tuppence worth but If I'm reading your log right I think you should be slowing the runs way down - roughly speaking your race pace is 8 min so your steady/ easy runs should be at 9:30 min miles at the very quickest. Good call on adding distances at the weekend - no more than 10% a week though. If you can add in some interval/ fartlek work and you will see some serious improvement over the next while.

Thanks Tom. Will look into fartlek now. And will slow down a bit too.

10km tonight in 58 mins. Lovely pace, didn't think we were going too fast. I set the pace with the group tonight, the faster ones put the boot down with 2k to go. I let them off.

Total km : 79.5

10.5k in 55 mins. Tried a bit of upping the pace between lamp posts. It was a killer. I'm wrecked.

Total km : 90

8k in 58 mins. Lovely morning but my right calf was at me. Struggled back to the car. Waiting on a call from the physio about insoles, hope it clears up my niggley injuries.

Total km : 98

Back out tonight. 10.5k in 55 mins. Put the boot down for the last km. No niggles with my legs or knees tonight, happy days. Picked up insoles during the week too, breaking them in gradually during the day.

Total km : 108.5

Not for the faint hearted tonight, wouldn't have minded that wind on my back for the whole night. Wouldn't have done me any good in the long run though. A hard fought 10.5k in 57 mins.

Total km : 119

10k in 54 mins tonight. Slowed up towards the end. Felt good, I'll make my mind up about rathcoffey on Saturday morning.

Total km : 129

• Advertisement

Chickened out Saturday, pity as it turned out to be a nice day. Did 10.5k tonight in 57 mins. Beautiful night, lucky no one in our gang took a slip.

Total km : 139.5

10k tonight in 54:30. Started out great, was at 3 after 17mins, 5.5k at 28 mins. Bombed a bit, lost the pacers, 9k was 49 mins. Think I ran a great first half, just ran out of juice for about 2k, and trying to recover where I slowed down never happened. Signing up for the Enniscorthy half on April 27.

Total km : 149.5

12k in 1:12 this morning. Nice and slow. Not bad considering I got home from a wedding at 2. Wasn't drinking, but still wrecked.

Total km : 161.5

The summer gear was back on tonight. Mad how light I thought I was, yet I only managed 10k in 55:30. I've put on about 10lbs since Christmas, so I think that might have slowed me down a bit. I dunno. Back on a diet, no crap after 7, except a snack after a run.

Total km : 171.5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Beertons, well done on the 10k time and on the weight loss. Keep it up. Here's my tuppence worth. Try to mix up the training a little bit. You seem to be repeating the 10k session an awful lot. The time just goes up a bit or down a bit but I don't really think doing that all the time will be hugely beneficial. If you could do a couple of interval sessions or a bit of a tempo run. Just one a week of either will bring you on a lot. Some hill repeats might be an idea too. As Spring comes around you might be getting out more, I dunno.

In any case, good luck.

(Just saw the 10lbs since Christmas bit above) :(

It'll fall off in the coming months.

Its not the same route,, different roads around the town. And I try going fast for sections, then probably have to slow down for longer to get my breath back. There are nights where I try going faster, but I always end up with the same time. I might hook the watch up to the laptop and get a few breakdowns.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

do you try any longer slower stuff at all Beertons? I found that adding a longer, slower run in each week ( and making it longer every few weeks) was hugely beneficial....I see you ran a 12k run the other day, I'd try and push that distance out a bit each week ( or even every few weeks) and forget about pace

Yeah I suppose I should knock that 10k time on its head for a while. I'll push on on Saturday morning and see how far I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Duanington wrote: »
    do you try any longer slower stuff at all Beertons? I found that adding a longer, slower run in each week ( and making it longer every few weeks) was hugely beneficial....I see you ran a 12k run the other day, I'd try and push that distance out a bit each week ( or even every few weeks) and forget about pace

Yeah, that's the other bit I forgot!!!

Nice and easy and once you get to 10miles (16k) then you're a real runner! Double digit distance in anyone's language. I remember reading that and I was chuffed when I hit 16k in training for the first time.

The most important thing is to keep doing it though. Running that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

beertons wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose I should knock that 10k time on its head for a while. I'll push on on Saturday morning and see how far I get.

Don't think that you won't improve your 10k time by doing some runs that aren't 10k. Do some longer do some shorter. Do some fast, do some slow.
    In fact probably the most inefficient way to improve your 10k time is by running 10k all the time....

Advertisement