Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

half the problem is that some of his guests at the moment might as well be, for all intents and purpose, dead already. Having a line up that was demonstrably alive would help!

If you took all of the guests of no consequence off the Late Late, there'd be little to really fill the time. They're not there because RTE won't return Morgan Freeman's phone calls, they're there because that's the standard of guest the show can generally afford to have on. I suppose the second half of that problem is politics on the show and "key-demographic" overanalysis keeps up and coming guests who would be cheap off the show for fear they would scare and confuse the apparently staid, middle-Ireland viewership of the Late Late show. Why have on a great young original comedian, actor, singer, general artisté, or some old grizzled raconteur when we can listen to inane, conceited witterings of a 21 year old fashion blogger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I wish to feck he'd drop that house band with their irritating intros to the guests.Its self indulgent in the extreme of Tubs to inflict them on viewers just because hes friends with them and they played at his wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I cant see the show changing anytime soon. Tubs is visibly uncomfortable with unplanned interviews or random unrehearsed topics. I imagine there will be more Louis walsh boybands, Mike denver and other RTE friendly guests who dont tax tubridys nerves or supposed talent.

Russell Crowe was the only good interview that I remember from last year. i believe it was a fluke too as russell is usually a grouchy old sort.

I would like to see more REAL audience interaction and not the use of pre-approved plants in the audience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

ghiertal wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy can feel his juices flowing. He told the RTE Ten website at the launch of RTE1’s autumn season last week. “I can feel the juices flowing and the sense that it’s all kicking off,” he said. “As I walk the corridors, I can feel it.” He was talking about his excitement at the imminent 56th season of The Late Late Show.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/pat-stacey-rte-1s-autumn-schedule-has-more-to-offer-than-tubridy-vs-darcy-showdown-31456466.html

Unfortunately, the 'juices' he mentions is urine. How come whenever the Late Late Show manages to actually get a big name interview, you watch it cringing as though it is an awkward uncle of yours asking the questions? Are we, as the audience, supposed to be unsettled like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

darkdubh wrote: »
    I wish to feck he'd drop that house band with their irritating intros to the guests.Its self indulgent in the extreme of Tubs to inflict them on viewers just because hes friends with them and they played at his wedding.

I know that there are certain things Tubridy is powerless to do but there are things he can do to improve his show. The intros to guests is very annoying and pointless. I have no problem with the band there but use them to back up singers and not for this intro purpose.

• Advertisement

ghiertal wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy can feel his juices flowing.

I feel queasy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

I know that there are certain things Tubridy is powerless to do but there are things he can do to improve his show. The intros to guests is very annoying and pointless. I have no problem with the band there but use them to back up singers and not for this intro purpose.

The band is there to conform to modern talk show conventions, clearly. Many talk shows have a house band that play intros to their guests or back up musical performances. All that's really missing is for Ryan to have more regular repartee with the bandleader. At least with the better American and British shows, there's some entertainment value in the dynamic whereas with the Late Late, there's zero personality going on. It's lifeless and vacuum packed.

Of course, what the Late Late Show should be doing is figuring out what, if anything, it does really well and do a lot of that. You'd please more people by playing to your strengths than trying to pander to "demographics" and trying to compartmentalize the show into the celeb segment, the music segment, the sort of celeb segment, the human interest story, the sob story etc. The trouble is, ultimately, it's very hard for a traditional show to know where it fits in nowadays with our heavily segmented, on-demand way of consuming media, with a billion choices out there. It's even harder for a show like the Late Late which hasn't so much going for it except middle Ireland and people apparently too unimaginative to go for any other form of entertainment if they find themselves in on a Friday. Maybe the viewership is made of people who love to complain about the show and that's where the entertainment is found :pac:.

briany wrote: »
    The band is there to conform to modern talk show conventions, clearly. Many talk shows have a house band that play intros to their guests or back up musical performances. All that's really missing is for Ryan to have more regular repartee with the bandleader. At least with the better American and British shows, there's some entertainment value in the dynamic whereas with the Late Late, there's zero personality going on. It's lifeless and vacuum packed.

Of course, what the Late Late Show should be doing is figuring out what, if anything, it does really well and do a lot of that. You'd please more people by playing to your strengths than trying to pander to "demographics" and trying to compartmentalize the show into the celeb segment, the music segment, the sort of celeb segment, the human interest story, the sob story etc. The trouble is, ultimately, it's very hard for a traditional show to know where it fits in nowadays with our heavily segmented, on-demand way of consuming media, with a billion choices out there. It's even harder for a show like the Late Late which hasn't so much going for it except middle Ireland and people apparently too unimaginative to go for any other form of entertainment if they find themselves in on a Friday. Maybe the viewership is made of people who love to complain about the show and that's where the entertainment is found :pac:.

Good points. These band intros would work fine if a bit of humour or repartee was used to accompany them. They work well on some shows for sure because of this. But not here in its current form.

I know that it is a difficult time for these shows. Less than a decade ago, the amount of choice one has now did not exist. Now, more and more people have computers, satellite, DVDs, online services like Netflix, etc. The format of the show has not changed much. The guests seem to be played out at this stage and surely something other than Keith Barry, bad Irish boyfolk country music, boybands and Ruby Walsh can be found. That would be a start.

The audience aimed at seems to be grannies minding 10-12 year olds mad into the latest boyband sensations. But the entertainment laid on for the grannies like Derek Ryan's very poppy form of 'country' is hardly to their tastes. Surely, they'd prefer a bit of Big Tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

What I really can't get is that we've plenty of actors working over int he US steadilly on high profile shows. People like Jason O'Meara, Dominuque McElligott, Timothy V Murphy etc. You never see sight nor sound of them on the Late Late. OK, maybe they've relocated to the US but they're surely home at various times and could be brought in for an interview.

My mother won't know who Timothy V Murphy or Dominque McElligott is but I sure will. I'd sooner see Timmy talking about True Detective or Dominuque talking about Astronaut Wives Club than Gabriel Byrne on yet again telling us how fúcked up the country really is. I think we all know that the place isn't ideal. It's like the people booking the interviews either go for top tier, like Byrne, Saoirse Ronan, Chief O'Brien, Farreller & Neeson or go for the z-listers, like an extra from last week's Fair City. There seems to be no 'in between' there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Has anyone checked to see if Tubs is okay now that one direction will be splitting up?

No more "Have you met niall Horan from one direction." Who is he going to ask foreign celebrities about now? Have you met nathan Carter or mike denver doesnt have the same international appeal

• Advertisement

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Has anyone checked to see if Tubs is okay now that one direction will be splitting up?

No more "Have you met niall Horan from one direction." Who is he going to ask foreign celebrities about now? Have you met nathan Carter or mike denver doesnt have the same international appeal

You can be assured he will have some new boybands on along with all this Mike Denver/Derek Ryan boyfolk rubbish. Isn't our beloved Louis Walsh forming a new boyband?

Plus he can still have Niall Horan on in whatever incarnation he will be post 1D.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

The current season of The Late Late Show was going along nicely. Other than Keith Barry (who thankfully was kept until the end of one of the shows), there was no really annoying guest on so far.

Tubridy himself, the guests and everything was going along nicely. But then he will ruin it all with next Friday's celebration of all things boyfolk aka modern Irish country pop. A full show of Mike Denver, Derek Ryan and you can sure some new popstar to be launched as well. This has cancelled out all the positives of the last few shows.

It seemed the show was being saved and now it has reverted back to its bad old ways and this awful and overrated genre of music getting a full show is a first. Let's revive Dustin the canvas bag while we are at it and give him a full show!! I never thought I'd say it: I miss Twink!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The current season of The Late Late Show was going along nicely. Other than Keith Barry (who thankfully was kept until the end of one of the shows), there was no really annoying guest on so far.

Tubridy himself, the guests and everything was going along nicely. But then he will ruin it all with next Friday's celebration of all things boyfolk aka modern Irish country pop. A full show of Mike Denver, Derek Ryan and you can sure some new popstar to be launched as well. This has cancelled out all the positives of the last few shows.

It seemed the show was being saved and now it has reverted back to its bad old ways and this awful and overrated genre of music getting a full show is a first. Let's revive Dustin the canvas bag while we are at it and give him a full show!! I never thought I'd say it: I miss Twink!!!!!!!

how obsessed are you with this! You sound bitter! 3rd thread i have come across with the exact same post by you now!!!

keep-calm-build-a-bridge-and-get-over-it-2.png

how obsessed are you with this! You sound bitter! 3rd thread i have come across with the exact same post by you now!!!

How obsessed was Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela? How obsessed are anyone else standing up for fairness and equality. No, I am not bitter. Most people would agree that it is unfair that ONE genre of music is singled out and given a complete 2 and a half hour show. Most reasonable people would agree that the media selects certain individuals to promote (and not confined to the boyfolk scene either, it happens in many disciplines: Keith Barry is another example) and they get all the breaks while others do not.

If people as I said can go out and protest about Irish Water, I can make a case and stand up for the 1000s of talented people in Ireland in all fields from music to magic who are not getting the breaks they deserve. This is not an unreasonable complaint ESPECIALLY since I am paying my TV licence.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make a joke about it all you like if you think corruption and being dominated by organisations that brainwash us is ok .. because that is what Ireland is all about. One time, we had the Catholic Church forcing their dogmas onto us, then we had the banks selling us longterm debt made look good, now we have the media selecting what we should listen to and watch, supporting a limited set of average individuals and making gods out of them. We all know that the banks and the church were proven to be corrupt. The media thinks it can get away with all this self serving corruption too and I as a tax payer have a right to share an opinion and oppose my licence fee making mediocre individuals rich.

The following are just a tiny percentage of the forums and posts on various threads you have written on this issue over the last few weeks.Your hatred of the singers & particularly Mike Denver & Derek Ryan is bordering on Mark Chapman like obsession. Its not healthy dude. I don't care for the music but demand necessitates supply.So having a go at the young lads for getting out there & making a living for their family & entertaining people in the process i remarkably obsessive & unfair. Your heightened knowlege of this music for someone that cant stomach it is most bizarre also. I genuinely have only just heard of your man Denver merely because of the publicity surrounding Garth Brook this year & his subsequent "Wagon Wheel " song which was admittedly overplayed and not what i would consider to my taste but ultimately harmless so it definitely isn't pushed down mine nor most peoples throat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057471524

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057510235

I just HOPE this is not the start of a whole series of Irish country/boyfolk concerts. There are at least 5 artists of this genre much worse than Nathan Carter, all of whom were on Tubridy's show. I just don't get why RTE promotes this mediocre genre all the time

Yeah, as long as they don't start again force feeding us tosh like Mike Denver and Derek Ryan rubbish

I think the same. I would open the thing up to all up and coming country artists and give them a platform to sing their songs. Music and any art should not be a competition. That's sport. The main problem with country music in Ireland is that it is a closed shop. ONE sound, which I call boyfolk (

I would not ban RTE but I would change it! Some of what it does is good but 2 things they are poor at are music and chatshows in general. A need to get away from the clique that seems to dominate everything is needed and for a chance for others to be able to get a bit of promotion.

I think RTE make no effort for a lot of their shows because they do not have a serious rival. TV3 and UTV Ireland did not really take off and RTE1 remains the most popular station. And are also promoting the same horrid Irish country music and/or the same old faces from Keith Barry to Louis Walsh. Plus, there seems to be at least one chef on at some stage every day somewhere. Or if not that, some talent show, garden or house makeover show or other such reality TV.

RTE, TV3, UTVI and TG4 all need to be seriously reformed. The content of a lot of them would bore and depress anyone

While I would not ban anything, one thing I would end is all the support and promotion given to bad Irish country music to the detriment of everything else inclusive of good Irish country music. Tubridy has these idiots on the whole time and it is constantly on TG4 and local rural radio. Paddywhackery done boyband style is what it is and I don't get it why this fake, soulless, insincere music can get so much support from the powers that be.

Me too with regard to the latter. I can't understand why country and irish music (that is Mike Denver, Derek Ryan, all them type of fellas) has the following it does. It is easily the worst music I ever heard. It has one leg in boybandland and the other in paddywhackeryland with a blatant disregard for real country music. I prefer to call it boyfolk than country and irish.

The following are just a tiny percentage of the forums and posts on various threads you have written on this issue over the last few weeks.Your hatred of the singers & particularly Mike Denver & Derek Ryan is bordering on Mark Chapman like obsession. Its not healthy dude. I don't care for the music but demand necessitates supply.So having a go at the young lads for getting out there & making a living for their family & entertaining people in the process i remarkably obsessive & unfair. Your heightened knowlege of this music for someone that cant stomach it is most bizarre also. I genuinely have only just heard of your man Denver merely because of the publicity surrounding Garth Brook this year & his subsequent "Wagon Wheel " song which was admittedly overplayed and not what i would consider to my taste but ultimately harmless so it definitely isn't pushed down mine nor most peoples throat.

I just HOPE this is not the start of a whole series of Irish country/boyfolk concerts. There are at least 5 artists of this genre much worse than Nathan Carter, all of whom were on Tubridy's show. I just don't get why RTE promotes this mediocre genre all the time

Yeah, as long as they don't start again force feeding us tosh like Mike Denver and Derek Ryan rubbish

I think the same. I would open the thing up to all up and coming country artists and give them a platform to sing their songs. Music and any art should not be a competition. That's sport. The main problem with country music in Ireland is that it is a closed shop. ONE sound, which I call boyfolk (

I would not ban RTE but I would change it! Some of what it does is good but 2 things they are poor at are music and chatshows in general. A need to get away from the clique that seems to dominate everything is needed and for a chance for others to be able to get a bit of promotion.

I think RTE make no effort for a lot of their shows because they do not have a serious rival. TV3 and UTV Ireland did not really take off and RTE1 remains the most popular station. And are also promoting the same horrid Irish country music and/or the same old faces from Keith Barry to Louis Walsh. Plus, there seems to be at least one chef on at some stage every day somewhere. Or if not that, some talent show, garden or house makeover show or other such reality TV.

RTE, TV3, UTVI and TG4 all need to be seriously reformed. The content of a lot of them would bore and depress anyone

While I would not ban anything, one thing I would end is all the support and promotion given to bad Irish country music to the detriment of everything else inclusive of good Irish country music. Tubridy has these idiots on the whole time and it is constantly on TG4 and local rural radio. Paddywhackery done boyband style is what it is and I don't get it why this fake, soulless, insincere music can get so much support from the powers that be.

Me too with regard to the latter. I can't understand why country and irish music (that is Mike Denver, Derek Ryan, all them type of fellas) has the following it does. It is easily the worst music I ever heard. It has one leg in boybandland and the other in paddywhackeryland with a blatant disregard for real country music. I prefer to call it boyfolk than country and irish.

No, I am not Mark Chapman and no, I don't agree with what people like him stand for first off. As for my familiarity with it, it is hard to get away from it. Yes I have relatives who listen to this stuff. It is also not easy to avoid when local radio is turned on playing it all the time in workplaces.

As said, I would have no objection to this stuff at all if other styles were supported too. Nowadays, any aspiring singer has to try and get into this sector because it is all the media support along with boybands and reality TV competitions. Surely it is not unreasonable for some support for something else? Once, and not so long ago, Ireland was a great place for a diverse range of styles. But the media have made a joke out of Irish talent. Anyone who would sanction the idea of sending Dustin to Serbia to perform for us at the Eurovision says it all really. And if the Late Late Show is to be saved, it needs to diversify and nurture real talent for a change.

The Eurovision is a joke in itself. I wouldnt take that seriously

As for local radio, I am sure there are a few shows dedicated to country music but not at the level you say. Most stations play popular music to the most.

To be fair RTE don't play that much country music at all?? Rte is very backward music wise and apart from chat shows and the odd tribute night there is no dedicated domestic music show so I don't get where you are imagining this up. Imelda May hosts a show and 99% of it is proper music.

The RTE drama shows and sporting montages and adverts use a wide variety of domestic and international backing music. It is very rare that a country music slot is on more than once a month on Tubridy (check the statistics) and never on the Saturday night equivalent at all really.

So again you are so obsessed that when you do see it the odd time it gets to you.

As for TG4 its target audience clearly like that music and it's an Irish rural station so it's only right they have a few country shows. They also have trad music shows and they have recently started showing later with jools Holland. And a few other non country shows.

But again you conveniently ignore these to suit your agenda.

TV3 doesnt do music so forget about that.

2FM hosts showcases of irish music but steers away from trad or country owing to its target market. RTE RADIO 1 has some music shows and BOth Lyric FM and RnaG are dedicated to specific music genres and the last thing you will hear on either of those stations is the country music that you refer to.

You are basing your agenda and o session on factual misguidance therefore and I suggest you sit down and listen to these media outlets with this in mind.

In fact most irish media outlets, with the exception of TG4 maybe (and we know their main demographic audience) are reknowned for taking the proverbial pass out of Irish country music, Daniel o Donnell, Crystal Swing, the like of Nathan Carter etc. It far from promotes them really.

You should sit down andrethink what you are saying because quite honestly most of it is in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Good points. These band intros would work fine if a bit of humour or repartee was used to accompany them. They work well on some shows for sure because of this. But not here in its current form.

I know that it is a difficult time for these shows. Less than a decade ago, the amount of choice one has now did not exist. Now, more and more people have computers, satellite, DVDs, online services like Netflix, etc. The format of the show has not changed much. The guests seem to be played out at this stage and surely something other than Keith Barry, bad Irish boyfolk country music, boybands and Ruby Walsh can be found. That would be a start.

The audience aimed at seems to be grannies minding 10-12 year olds mad into the latest boyband sensations. But the entertainment laid on for the grannies like Derek Ryan's very poppy form of 'country' is hardly to their tastes. Surely, they'd prefer a bit of Big Tom!
    You can be assured he will have some new boybands on along with all this Mike Denver/Derek Ryan boyfolk rubbish. Isn't our beloved Louis Walsh forming a new boyband?

Plus he can still have Niall Horan on in whatever incarnation he will be post 1D.

How obsessed was Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela? How obsessed are anyone else standing up for fairness and equality. No, I am not bitter. Most people would agree that it is unfair that ONE genre of music is singled out and given a complete 2 and a half hour show. Most reasonable people would agree that the media selects certain individuals to promote (and not confined to the boyfolk scene either, it happens in many disciplines: Keith Barry is another example) and they get all the breaks while others do not.

If people as I said can go out and protest about Irish Water, I can make a case and stand up for the 1000s of talented people in Ireland in all fields from music to magic who are not getting the breaks they deserve. This is not an unreasonable complaint ESPECIALLY since I am paying my TV licence.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Make a joke about it all you like if you think corruption and being dominated by organisations that brainwash us is ok .. because that is what Ireland is all about. One time, we had the Catholic Church forcing their dogmas onto us, then we had the banks selling us longterm debt made look good, now we have the media selecting what we should listen to and watch, supporting a limited set of average individuals and making gods out of them. We all know that the banks and the church were proven to be corrupt. The media thinks it can get away with all this self serving corruption too and I as a tax payer have a right to share an opinion and oppose my licence fee making mediocre individuals rich.

You two should get a room.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    You two should get a room.

Eh it's a forum. But you are in the right place as you come laden with a sarcastic comment aimed at getting a like or two! Well done you......

I'll like your post to make you feel funny 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

To quote Damon Killian from The Running Man:

"This is television, that's all it is. It's nothing to do with people, it's to do with the ratings. For fifty years, we've told 'em what to eat, what to drink, what to wear! For Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television! They wean their kids on it! Listen, they love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts! Believe me, I've been in the business thirty years!"

Now replace "Americans" with "Irish people", and replace the game shows, wrestling, sports and violence with at least four of the following: boybands, country music, talent shows, home-grown comedies, Louis Walsh, Mike Denver, Donal Skehan, Jennifer Maguire.

And you've got a statement that's more or less accurate.

:o:o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RayM wrote: »
    No, she wouldn't. She genuinely wouldn't.

The Late Late Show has actually been relatively good over the last few months. And Tubridy has been doing a pretty good job. He seems a lot more relaxed. Just look through the recent LLS threads on here and you'll see a lot less criticism and a lot more praise than in previous years.
    seriously though....it took 5 years...and he still couldnt ask a question to save his life

Advertisement