Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Keep Brendan and Ray and get rid of Tubridy!

Just keep Brendan. Just keep Brendan. :o:o;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Waerobic Woxajack

This plague should not have been started let alone saved. Stupidity and vulgarity presented by a talentless Jack is what it is and if I was even to watch a second of it, I would feel very depressed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So you don't watch it but think it should be cancelled. Interesting...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This plague should not have been started let alone saved. Stupidity and vulgarity presented by a talentless Jack is what it is and if I was even to watch a second of it, I would feel very depressed.

MOD
    Waerobic Woxajack
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not see a warning directed to you over on your other post (late late show thread Fri 13th)

The TV forum is not the forum for your soapboxing. Take it to a personal blog please.

Do not post here again thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the thing about ryan is that he tries too hard. the more you try to be something the less spontaneous it becomes. brendan is natural. ryan is pretending and poor at it. im sure hes a nice bloke but whatever it is you need for presenting, he doesnt have it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Roquentin wrote: »
    the thing about ryan is that he tries too hard. the more you try to be something the less spontaneous it becomes. brendan is natural. ryan is pretending and poor at it. im sure hes a nice bloke but whatever it is you need for presenting, he doesnt have it

I agree. Tubridy often gives me the feeling he is 'faking it'. He is completely natural around children but comes across the wrong way in other situations for example:

-with boybands and the likes of Louis Walsh: too much falling all over them and overidolising them.
    -with politicians: too aggressive and rigid.
    -with guests who have a story: tends to jump in with too many questions and does not allow the guest finish their story. Can be condescending at times too.
    -with the audience: cannot control a silly audience e.g. last Friday's show.
    -with comedians: becomes part of the joke.
    -with others: too much talk about babies, 'Irish connections', etc. rather than about what the guest is famous for.

I agree. Tubridy often gives me the feeling he is 'faking it'. He is completely natural around children but comes across the wrong way in other situations for example:

-with boybands and the likes of Louis Walsh: too much falling all over them and overidolising them.
    -with politicians: too aggressive and rigid.
    -with guests who have a story: tends to jump in with too many questions and does not allow the guest finish their story. Can be condescending at times too.
    -with the audience: cannot control a silly audience e.g. last Friday's show.
    -with comedians: becomes part of the joke.
    -with others: too much talk about babies, 'Irish connections', etc. rather than about what the guest is famous for.

he gets bullied by comedians alright. its actually kind of sad to watch

Roquentin wrote: »
    he gets bullied by comedians alright. its actually kind of sad to watch

I remember the times Cuba Gooding Jr was on and also Peter Kay. In both cases, Tubridy lost complete control and was not able to respond to something off script.

I remember the times Cuba Gooding Jr was on and also Peter Kay. In both cases, Tubridy lost complete control and was not able to respond to something off script.

he gets nervous and starts laughing weird i agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

The executive producer of 'The Saturday Night Show' will be moved to 'The Late Late Show' as part of a shake-up of RTÉ's biggest shows following the broadcaster's shock decision to axe the popular weekend chat show.
    Larry Masterson previously worked as a producer on 'The Late Late Show' and was considered instrumental in 'The Saturday Night Show's' dramatic viewership rise.
    Earlier this month 'The Saturday Night Show', presented by Brendan O'Connor, enjoyed an audience of 541,000 - 70,000 more than 'The Late Late Show' had the night before.
    Last night, RTÉ sources said moving Mr Masterson to the Late Late was an effort to return the show to its "agenda-setting ways of the past".
    "Larry is going to Friday nights to see if he can save 'The Late Late' and work the same magic he works with 'The Saturday Night Show'," the source said. "There is a recognition it needs to be more relevant and return it to the ground-breaking agenda stuff."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/saturday-night-producer-swaps-primetime-shows-and-moves-to-fridays-late-late-31069068.html

The SNS has been very successful so therefore the presenter gets sacked and the producer leaves the show. Meanwhile, the LLS presenter who has lost hundreds of thousands both on the radio and tv is kept in place and gets
    his umpteenth new production team. Cue interview with Tubs telling us about getting a new buzz and being excited about a new era for the LLS.

Ryan Tubridy: Ryan O’Neal’s inappropriate comments about daughter left me creeped out, deflated and sad
    http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/ryan-tubridy-ryan-oneals-inappropriate-comments-about-daughter-left-me-creeped-out-deflated-and-sad-31088774.html#ts1t3

“At least I said it to his face rather than creeping out behind this back because it would have been weird. Everywhere I went Saturday people were saying it was a hairy one.”

He said "Oh no" and he thinks that he is great for making a stand while at the same time he is peed off at water charge protestors and thinks nothing of them being in jail. Then after O'Neal leaves the country he calls him creepy. If he felt that strongly about it he should have stopped the interview instead of laughing along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Was wondering did anyone read this?

https://twitter.com/NadineORegan/status/579620188305375233/photo/1

I dont read the Sunday Business Post but saw the picture of the article on twitter. Looks like someone in the media is asking why Tubridys rivals are being either removed (O'Connor) or poached (darcy).

I hope this is the start of a new trend, hopefully someone in the Times or Indo will follow suit

Ryan Tubridy has frequently served as "super-sub" at the BBC during the holidays, but the RTE star revealed he has no plans to head across the Irish Sea this summer.
    Last year, six million listeners tuned in when he covered for Simon Mayo on BBC Radio 2.
    When asked if he has plans to venture over to the UK for a BBC stint any time soon, Tubridy said he didn't think so.
    "I didn't do anything with them at Easter and I actually really enjoyed having that time off relaxing. I've got a taste for that, so no BBC decisions yet," he told the Herald.
    Wherever he spends his summer, Tubridy is looking forward to a new producer joining the Late Late Show team from the now axed Saturday Night Show.
    "We've a new producer starting soon - Larry Masterson. Cathy Fox is with child so that's the only reason she's leaving," he said.
    Ray D'Arcy
    "No we won't be taking any tips from The Saturday Night Show - I don't need tricks from any other show. But I'll take advantage of Larry's vast experience.
    "He's been there for decades and it's a different style - every producer brings that, so we'll have a different style, which will be fun."
    RTE's prodigal son Ray D'Arcy (inset) is set to start his new show in the autumn, and while Tubridy agreed that competition is a positive thing, he joked that he wouldn't like to see "too much'" rivalry.
    welcome
    "I welcome Ray. Obviously it's great and I know him down through the years," he said.
    "I've always liked him and rated him highly. I was that soldier on Saturday nights. I hope he keeps it fun, because it's a fun slot.
    "There's always been Saturday night and Friday night entertainment since I've been in this industry.
    "There's a new guy at the wheel come autumn and I wish Ray well."
    http://www.herald.ie/news/tubs-holds-fire-on-return-to-bbc-and-tells-ray-to-have-some-fun-31157763.html

He took the producer from Brendan O'Connor's show, then said he wasn't surprised when BOC was let go even though he was ahead of the LLS in the rating and now he doesn't want any rivalry with Ray. This from a guy whose rating on the radio and tv have been a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

zoobizoo wrote: »
    They just need someone who is interesting, interested and with a sense of humour presenting the show.

Everyone has an interesting story to tell but Ryan does not seem to be able to draw it out in his guests.

He's an absolute crutch. I can't really watch the guy interview. He has next to no charisma or spark. How is he in that role? It's like he's untouchable? I used to watch the Late Late. Not anymore. He just cannot interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In Ryan's defence, Cuba was a complete WA*KER. Absolute odd ball. Tubridy did nothing wrong apart from try. I guess part of the show's problem is the misfits they have on every now and then. They really scrape the barrel at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm no fan of Bendan O'Connor or the SNN but I felt for the guy when, after putting the work in to develop his show, establish and improve it and built up his audience steadilly with the help of his team to the point that they're the highest rated talk show on RTE, his reward is redeployment, the axing of his show and his team being plundered to shore up the slowly failing show he's beaten in the ratings.

IMHO the required action in this case was to see how ratings go for another year or two, then if he's still strong, promote him to the flagship show and move Darcy in in his place on Saturdays.

As for Tubs, I'm sure he'd be very comfortable on RTEjr. Actually, seeing as Tubs likes his history and politics, why not give him a nighthawks type show on RTE 2 a few nights a week. Let him model it like Jimmy Fallon or something. That'd probably be his wet dream but at least that way everyone's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

ghiertal wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy has frequently served as "super-sub" at the BBC during the holidays, but the RTE star revealed he has no plans to head across the Irish Sea this summer.
    So his services were not required by the BBC?

It looks like the RTE management have sunk so much of the marketing budget into Tubridy and the LLS that they cannot dump Tubridy without damaging the LLS brand.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

squonk wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Bendan O'Connor or the SNN but I felt for the guy when, after putting the work in to develop his show, establish and improve it and built up his audience steadilly with the help of his team to the point that they're the highest rated talk show on RTE, his reward is redeployment, the axing of his show and his team being plundered to shore up the slowly failing show he's beaten in the ratings.

IMHO the required action in this case was to see how ratings go for another year or two, then if he's still strong, promote him to the flagship show and move Darcy in in his place on Saturdays.

Can't disagree there.

Unfortunately, the folks at Montrose just had to choose the easiest option - pressing the panic button... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He's one of the most recognisable broadcasters in Ireland, and now it seems Ryan Tubridy's celebrity status has spread as far as Ethiopia. The Late Late Show host, who has just returned from a week-long trip to the African country, revealed that he encountered a group of enthusiastic fans while waiting on his flight in Addis Ababa airport - a moment he described as "beautiful". "When I was at the airport on a Friday waiting to board the plane, I had that sort of strange thing. Normally when I go to an airport the Irish people would be there and there'd be phones out and selfies and I thought, 'I'm safe here in Addis Ababa'," he said.

"It was hilarious. Out they came, all the new Irish with their phones."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/ryan-tubridy-mobbed-by-late-late-fans-in-african-airport-31439395.html#ts1t3

Do RTE syndicate the LLS around the world because he is obviously very popular with the "new Irish" therefore African networks might be interested in broadcasting the show. It's all about revenue nowadays and if they can increase revenues they can get more star names to appear.

• Advertisement

"They'll say, 'Jesus! Here he comes with the stupid list,'" Tubs revealed at the new season RTE One press launch.Ryan Tubridy in Ethiopia.“I think big. I hope big. And hopefully the guys will deliver on that.” The Dublin native also divulged that the show will be changing slightly as a new producer has come on board.
    “There'll be a change of style, theme, look, a different feel to it," he hinted. "I might be in the audience a little more, there could be a different emphasis on the style of guests."

"It’s too early to call but there’ll be a tweak in the style but nothing too radically different," he confirmed.

When we asked if the dad-of-two could have anyone (living or dead) join him on the chat show, his eyes lit up at the idea.

“I’d love to go on the complete lash with Frank Sinatra! Id love him to come to a party..the ashtrays, the booze, the company and the sing song would be killer at the end."

"I would love to have a lovely long chat over a glass of wine and a good dinner with James Stewart, my favourite actor, who is a gentleman.”

“Third one... I’d be heading towards Bill Clinton because I'm a fan of his, I thought his eight years as President were extraordinary and he’s bold as brass. We could talk books, politics and history.”
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/ryan-tubridy-reveals-dream-guests-for-the-late-late-show-as-he-confirms-style-of-show-is-changing-31449411.html#ts1t3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

"I might be in the audience a little more"
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get out of the audience you eejit Tubs! (Graham Norton you are not).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

amdublin wrote: »
    "I might be in the audience a little more"

If that means he won't be hosting it, I'm all for it :P:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Keep Brendan and Ray and get rid of Tubridy!

Tubridy and Elvis? Elvis would be asked about his Irish roots, how he loves Ireland and about his plans to have children!!

And there'd be the bit where Tubridy shows Elvis an image of himself in concert in 1972 on the monitor."What were you thinking with that white jumpsuit,are you embarrased looking back on that now?"

When we asked if the dad-of-two could have anyone (living or dead) join him on the chat show, his eyes lit up at the idea.

half the problem is that some of his guests at the moment might as well be, for all intents and purpose, dead already. Having a line up that was demonstrably alive would help!

darkdubh wrote: »
    And there'd be the bit where Tubridy shows Elvis an image of himself in concert in 1972 on the monitor."What were you thinking with that white jumpsuit,are you embarrased looking back on that now?"

And Elvis thinks back to his first days on TV and reckons Tubridy is the type of host who would get Elvis to sing Hound Dog to a, well, hound dog!

"They'll say, 'Jesus! Here he comes with the stupid list,'" Tubs revealed at the new season RTE One press launch.Ryan Tubridy in Ethiopia.“I think big. I hope big. And hopefully the guys will deliver on that.” The Dublin native also divulged that the show will be changing slightly as a new producer has come on board.
    “There'll be a change of style, theme, look, a different feel to it," he hinted. "I might be in the audience a little more, there could be a different emphasis on the style of guests."

"It’s too early to call but there’ll be a tweak in the style but nothing too radically different," he confirmed.

“I’d love to go on the complete lash with Frank Sinatra! Id love him to come to a party..the ashtrays, the booze, the company and the sing song would be killer at the end."

"I would love to have a lovely long chat over a glass of wine and a good dinner with James Stewart, my favourite actor, who is a gentleman.”

“Third one... I’d be heading towards Bill Clinton because I'm a fan of his, I thought his eight years as President were extraordinary and he’s bold as brass. We could talk books, politics and history.”
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/ryan-tubridy-reveals-dream-guests-for-the-late-late-show-as-he-confirms-style-of-show-is-changing-31449411.html#ts1t3

But instead it will be Ruby & Louis Walsh, Mike Denver & Derek Ryan, Keith Barry and RTE TV presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

You left out Mario Rosenstock....appearing at least twice over the season

youngblood wrote: »
    You left out Mario Rosenstock....appearing at least twice over the season

Mario in fairness is not anything as annoying as the others I mentioned .. but I true, he does appear very often too. It seems as if there is a set list of people to choose from. Twink used to be on a lot too but she has lost favour for some reason.

You can bet that Tubridy will come onto our screens with his new season in 2 and a half weeks time and will roll out the usual fare. The number of people who cannot watch this show anymore because of Tubridy says it all.

The same set of people year in year out. Some I like, most I think are overrated. There is no need at all for all this idolatry of Mike Denver and co, all this Louis Walsh infatuation, all this being besotted with all things Ruby Walsh, and all this promotion given to reality TV projects and to the likes of Katie Holmes. The audience sitting in for this show on a Friday have no interest in any of this for the most part I'd say.

• Advertisement

Mario in fairness is not anything as annoying as the others I mentioned .. but I true, he does appear very often too. It seems as if there is a set list of people to choose from. Twink used to be on a lot too but she has lost favour for some reason.

You can bet that Tubridy will come onto our screens with his new season in 2 and a half weeks time and will roll out the usual fare. The number of people who cannot watch this show anymore because of Tubridy says it all.

The same set of people year in year out. Some I like, most I think are overrated. There is no need at all for all this idolatry of Mike Denver and co, all this Louis Walsh infatuation, all this being besotted with all things Ruby Walsh, and all this promotion given to reality TV projects and to the likes of Katie Holmes. The audience sitting in for this show on a Friday have no interest in any of this for the most part I'd say.

Ryan Tubridy can feel his juices flowing. He told the RTE Ten website at the launch of RTE1’s autumn season last week. “I can feel the juices flowing and the sense that it’s all kicking off,” he said. “As I walk the corridors, I can feel it.” He was talking about his excitement at the imminent 56th season of The Late Late Show.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/pat-stacey-rte-1s-autumn-schedule-has-more-to-offer-than-tubridy-vs-darcy-showdown-31456466.html

Advertisement