Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Fed Boyfolk

Options
  • 03-08-2015 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

Looked at the paper today to see what was on TV this evening and I see a concert by boyfolk king Derek Ryan. All I can say is that I am not a fan. Why is this rubbish being force fed on us? Ireland's music scene is so poor at present it baffles. Boyfolk music by the likes of Ryan and Mike Denver is among the worst ever and its fake sound makes even the boybands that influenced them sound edgy by comparison.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As I've never heard of it it's not being forced on me anyway

Who or what in the f*ck is boyfolk and why should I care? In 140 characters or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Looked at the paper today to see what was on TV this evening and I see a concert by boyfolk king Derek Ryan. All I can say is that I am not a fan. Why is this rubbish being force fed on us? Ireland's music scene is so poor at present it baffles. Boyfolk music by the likes of Ryan and Mike Denver is among the worst ever and its fake sound makes even the boybands that influenced them sound edgy by comparison.

You'd love Clonmany Festival. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Who or what in the f*ck is boyfolk and why should I care? In 140 characters or less.

Bad Irish country music sung by ex boyband members or wannabe boyband members.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thinnk the op might only have rte one and two?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Change the channel maybe?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Rock me baby like a wagon wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

galljga1 wrote: »
    wagon wheel.

It was ages since I last ate one of them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It was ages since I last ate one of them :eek:

Bastids made them smaller too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭secondattempt

It's not folk music by any stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I've no willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Country and Irish. Who listens to it? Seriously, what would the typical fan of this guy be? Older person, teenagers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Was hoping this would be about some weird female cult that had been caught force feeding young boys in Ohio.

Not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

eviltwin wrote: »
    Country and Irish. Who listens to it? Seriously, what would the typical fan of this guy be? Older person, teenagers?

Middle aged housewives.

Dreadful stuff. It is the one genre of music that I simply cannot stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I've got zero time for this stuff myself but essentially your complaint is "why do other people like different stuff from me?"

Ruu wrote: »
    Bastids made them smaller too.

And not as nice. The same thing happened to curly wurlys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I would love to kick mike denver square in the bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

It's bloody popular though. These fellas are just constantly touring the country, selling out every place theyre in. One of them was in Newry a while back and the photos in the paper had people of all ages there. I was particularly surprised at the amount of attractive young females. Made me consider putting up with the music next time one of them's about

Dreadful stuff. It is the one genre of music that I simply cannot stand.

Same here. I like most types of music and can see the purpose of other types of music that may not be my cup of tea such as modern pop. But the music I call boyfolk or modern Irish country is horrid. This and reality TV pretty much sums up all that is wrong in today's media.

Derek Ryan is probably the worst exponent of this 'music'. His original songs are beyond the musical definition of poor material.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Nobody is force feeding you though? I'd never heard of that Derek fella until you mentioned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There was a Nathan Carter concert on tv there a few weeks back and I thought I wouldn't enjoy it at all, turns out I was pleasantly surprised :)

I wasn't the only one though as there were people of all ages young and old at the concert itself (in fact far more young women than ould ones, but an ould one did throw her bra on stage at one point! :pac:).

Just different people having different tastes in music really, a mate of mine listens to that stuff all the time and she's ten years younger than I am, loves her country music. I didn't really get it until I saw that Nathan Carter concert that time.

EDIT: There's no excuse for Crystal Swing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I thought the thread title was a euphemism for something else, or something disgusting I didn't want to know about... I was right :eek:

There was a Nathan Carter concert on tv there a few weeks back and I thought I wouldn't enjoy it at all, turns out I was pleasantly surprised :)

I wasn't the only one though as there were people of all ages young and old at the concert itself (in fact far more young women than ould ones, but an ould one did throw her bra on stage at one point! :pac:).

Just different people having different tastes in music really, a mate of mine listens to that stuff all the time and she's ten years younger than I am, loves her country music. I didn't really get it until I saw that Nathan Carter concert that time.

There is all sorts of wrong going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Stheno wrote: »
    As I've never heard of it it's not being forced on me anyway
    Seconded. Never heard of him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bad Irish country music sung by ex boyband members or wannabe boyband members.

So it's basically the Special Olympics of music?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And not as nice. The same thing happened to curly wurlys.

The most heinous size drop was yorkies

Man sized my ass, more deformed midget sized now

Nathan Carter is a better performer than the likes of Derek Ryan that's for sure. I can listen to Carter's music and Crystal Swing are grand too. There is a natural feel about all these. There is charisma there. But Derek Ryan's stuff is bad. The fact that he lacks charisma has to be added too.

I have a broad taste in music and will listen to most anything. But Derek Ryan and Mike Denver I just don't get. To me, they offer nothing and there are much better artists in their genre as well.

I would love to kick mike denver square in the bollox

Some people think Louis Walsh did the most damage to Irish music. They are wrong. The real answer is Mike Denver. Since he came on the scene in 2003, a whole plethora of pop styled country has taken over. Derek Ryan may be the worst so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Crystal Swing are grand too.....There is charisma there.
    charisma
    kəˈrɪzmə/
    noun: charisma; plural noun: charismata

1. compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

2. a divinely conferred power or talent.

I had to look up the dictionary just to be sure that we're thinking about the same word. I'm not so sure we are.

Advertisement