Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Boyfolk Show

Options
  • 19-10-2015 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

I just heard that the next Late Late Tubridy Show is dedicated to boyfolk music. Awful. My idea of hell is 2 hours of Derek Ryan and his ilk singing rubbish boyfolk songs. When Tubridy decides to do a music special show, he somehow chooses the worst genre of music ever made and has insulted fans of real music. Ironically, this comes in a season where up until now, he has actually improved his Late Late Show. Then, it all comes crashing down next Friday with this monstrosity. What next? A full 2 hour tribute to Louis Walsh I suppose? And admittedly, that would be a step upwards!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well just don't watch it then. Problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Zaph wrote: »
    Well just don't watch it then. Problem solved

Won't be watching it. But the problem is not solved. The problem being that rubbish music gets all the breaks in Ireland and real music is ignored. Boyfolk music is the worst of the worst. Insincere, fake voiced tripe of the highest order. Boyzone and Westlife are excellent by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Sorry but what the hell is boyfolk?

vkid wrote: »
    Sorry but what the hell is boyfolk?

Derek Ryan, Mike Denver, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Derek Ryan, Mike Denver, etc.

Don't forget Nathan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Why are you inventing a music genre name & why your hatred! Noone is forcing you to watch it???

& then you come out with this quote.............." Boyzone and Westlife are excellent by comparison."

Why are you inventing a music genre name & why your hatred! Noone is forcing you to watch it???

& then you come out with this quote.............." Boyzone and Westlife are excellent by comparison."

Because the name boyfolk aptly describes what it is. Ex-boyband singers singing pop marketed as 'country' and dressed like cowboys. It is not country. Bears no resemblence to Hank Williams or any other country legend you care to mention. It is not country and irish either. That is songs like 'Lovely Leitrim' and 'Gentle mother'. Larry Cunningham and Big Tom are that. This music bears no resemblance to that either.

Why the hatred? Because it is awful bland soulless and it is all that gets promoted and forced on us by the stupid Irish clueless media. There's so much good music out there not getting any breaks because of this. No one is forcing me to watch it for sure (I will have either my DVDs of Love/Hate or Mad Max Fury Road on instead or perhaps a DVD of Jim Reeves to listen to some proper country music).

And yes Boyzone and Westlife are excellent by comparison to Derek Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Derek Ryan is a pretty good song writer and Country and Irish is big now so I can see why Tubs is dping a show about it maybe the man himself Garth Brooks will come over for it :p

Great thread. ..................... Enjoy the show Friday................

Your own choice own music leave me laughing here how you can tell people what real music is get or get irritated about the odd time other music you dont like is on. RTE doesnt have great music knowall but it hardly i obsessed with this makey uppy genre you refer to!!

B

And yes Boyzone and Westlife are excellent by comparison to Derek Ryan.

lucky for you ive found you some tunes you love to occupy you Friday! Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Great thread. ..................... Enjoy the show Friday................

Your own choice own music leave me laughing here how you can tell people what real music is get or get irritated about the odd time other music you dont like is on. RTE doesnt have great music knowall but it hardly i obsessed with this makey uppy genre you refer to!!

I wish it was a makey uppy genre. It exists and it is not the odd time. Every Wednesday on TG4, it is either Opry San Iuir or else it is Glor Tire. Johnny Brady is on the former this week and he is the same act and style as Derek Ryan. It is the same old thing over and over.

I would not mind this scene if other styles of music also got a chance. But no, it is either this stuff or else it is the equally bad world of reality TV fare. No wonder talent can't make it in Ireland if all the media support is these type of things. I have a right to my opinion and I would not mind this being on Tubridy's show if other styles were equally supported.

There'd be a national outrage if Tubridy decided to dedicate his show to classical music or opera. Everyone would be whining. But this was good music. Now, you don't have to go that far and I would not object to a show of singers like Christy Moore who everyone could listen to.

The fact that this stuff I call boyfolk is all is being promoted is wrong. It is more of an issue than 'do not watch it then'. That goes without saying. Anytime I see boyfolk singers on Tubridy, Glor Tire, Opry san Iuir, etc., I turn them off. The issue is there are 1000s of great singers, musicians, songwriters, etc. out there that will never get a chance because of the media's closed doors. Boyfolk or whatever you want to call it is being forced onto our screens. It gives its practicioners an unfair advantage over singers of other styles that would equally be popular if pushed.

lucky for you ive found you some tunes you love to occupy you Friday! Enjoy!

I'm not a boyband fan but at least Westlife never claimed to be a genre they are not. Derek Ryan's songs are about as country as downtown New York. He is a boyband singer from a boyband called D-Side.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

"rock me mama like a wagon wheel"

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Derek Ryan is a pretty good song writer and Country and Irish is big now so I can see why Tubs is dping a show about it maybe the man himself Garth Brooks will come over for it :p

I am unsure of his ability as a songwriter but his music is poor. I think that song he sang on Tubridy last year called Hold onto your hat was awful. I am unsure if he wrote it or someone else but it was a very poor song.

This stuff is big because it is all is supported. It is cleverly marketed and has the support of the media. When you have that, you can sell anything. It is poor fare and should not be confused with the old Country and Irish which was good and sung in a sincere way. Though admittedly, I am not a big fan of Roly Daniels who sounds a lot like these new fake voiced singers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I would not object to a show of singers like Christy Moore who everyone could listen to.

I would prefer to poke my eyes out than listen to even 30 seconds of Christy Moore. He has been on national TV for years and to me that's as inexplicable as this "genre" that you object to so much being on TV is to you. I'm not saying that it's not a load of sh*te, it is, but most rational people don't become as obsessed with something they dislike as you seem to be with this type of music. If that was the case I'd be starting an anti-Christy Moore thread every day. However for the sake of your own sanity I really think you need to forget about this music because this isn't the first thread that you've given out about it on. It really isn't as all-pervasive as you seem to think it is, if it was there'd be a lot more people than just you giving out about it. Maybe you'd be better sticking to either watching the likes of BBC4 or Channel 4 where you'll see a lot of different music, or if they're not your thing just watch the DVDs you have of music you like?

Zaph wrote: »
    I would prefer to poke my eyes out than listen to even 30 seconds of Christy Moore. He has been on national TV for years and to me that's as inexplicable as this "genre" that you object to so much being on TV is to you. I'm not saying that it's not a load of sh*te, it is, but most rational people don't become as obsessed with something they dislike as you seem to be with this type of music. If that was the case I'd be starting an anti-Christy Moore thread every day. However for the sake of your own sanity I really think you need to forget about this music because this isn't the first thread that you've given out about it on. It really isn't as all-pervasive as you seem to think it is, if it was there'd be a lot more people than just you giving out about it. Maybe you'd be better sticking to either watching the likes of BBC4 or Channel 4 where you'll see a lot of different music, or if they're not your thing just watch the DVDs you have of music you like?

I like Christy Moore. I accept that he is not for everyone but I could list loads of fans of his. Likewise, The Wolfe Tones. Sinatra. Elvis. Beatles. All have their real fans. I have met no one who likes what I call boyfolk. People here gave out about me going on about it but yet agreed it was poor music.

Now, I know there are likewise people who would be horrified if Tubridy decided to do an entire show about rugby. But once more rugby has its real world fans. I have met many rugby fans, loads of them in fact. I have met no one who likes these boyfolk type singers.

Contrary to belief, I am not obsessed by them. I had said nothing about them on any threads here for a few weeks. If I do mention them a lot, it proves they are on TV a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any reasonable person is entitled to their view. I am an easy going normal person but I am intelligent enough to see through our media like I saw through politicians, the church and the banks. I know the media serve their own interests and the interests of their cronies. I know they make gods out of some and I know that a lot of Irish talent is ignored. Whatever way one looks at this, it is true. It is as obvious as the grass on my lawn.

Obviously I am going to be watching BBC4, Channel 4, my DVDs, etc. or out in the pub or listening to a CD. From that perspective, I can 'pretend' Friday's show is not happening. This still does not stop one from being aware the media cherry-pick those they want to promote and this has nothing to do with talent, popularity and so on. I studied enough marketing to know its power and how to create markets. Boyfolk is tied into this social dancing thing which most people hate but it has created a niche market for itself. The same with Keith Barry's hypnosis stuff.

I am not obsessed with what I call boyfolk but either am I going to stand idly by and say nothing when something I think is wrong is happening. That's probably why there's a lot wrong in this country: people letting things off. I blame the media cherry-picking promotion of certain singers, genres, etc. by the way moreso than the singers, etc. themselves. If those singers I call boyfolk don't appear on our screens for 12 months, I would not even mention them simple as!!

Advertisement