Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

We received a letter saying we forgot to include the parents birth cert or passport in our daughters application. If we send this off today if will get to them on Tuesday. Would this go to the top of the processing queue or will it take another 5+ weeks?
    I ask as we are flying on 29th march.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

Mable123 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat. Travelling 24th march. Applied 20th Feb for first time passport for child. Still processing which means it hasn't even been looked at. I sent a reg. letter with proof of flights, rang and called to office. No one can help until it's assigned for checking. It's sitting there with the file getting fatter but no one is yet assigned to work the case. Will contacting T.D help? BTW it's no good assigning blame and telling people what they should or shouldnt have done. Passport express is upposed to take 10 to 15 working days. If peole have something helpful to say then great otherwise take your high horse to another discussion

Same timelines as yourself regarding a renewed passport for my child. Applied via an post express service. Was under the impression its a 15 working day turnaround from Feb 20th. Due to travel on March 24th. Estmated online date moved to 26th March.

Rang and emailed office and couldnt get through. Called into passport office on Tuesday and explained the situation. Very helpful staff. Recieved passport this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

DBIreland wrote: »
    We received a letter saying we forgot to include the parents birth cert or passport in our daughters application. If we send this off today if will get to them on Tuesday. Would this go to the top of the processing queue or will it take another 5+ weeks?
    I ask as we are flying on 29th march.

If you can, I would say you are better off bringing the requested docs in the public office in Dublin CC or Cork and drop it in with your proof of travel, it will be reprocessed quicker that way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are going to UK in May so about 8 weeks away.
    Are Appointments only available so specific reasons or can anyone make Appointment ?

You can make an appointment as far as I know. They might ask you when you travel and urgent applications cost more. They didn't ask me for any proof of travel when renewing son's passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Any advice on accessing a passport required for travel before 28th March? No rapid appointments available before 29th March. Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just after seeing a posting in main BargainAlerts that I'd like to mention in here:

Thread --> here

Main link says "Book by 18March" right here so might be worth a try before this day ends :confused:

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    Any advice on accessing a passport required for travel before 28th March? No rapid appointments available before 29th March. Any advice?

I think a limited number of rapid renewal appointments open up at 12:30 every day. So try at 12:30 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Just realised I filled in the form in blue pen and shouldn't have
    Guard never mentioned it (not up to them really) nor did the lady in the post office when doing passport express (again not up to her).

Do they just send it back does anyone know?

It's for my daughter & she's travelling mid May so thought I was in with plenty of time but if they send it back to I go to the end of the queue again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Hey all,

Applied for a renewal through the online system on March 8th. Today March 15th, its moved from processing to "your passport is being printed", just to give people a rough estimate of time.

Also, in anyones experience, how long between your passport "being printed" stage on the online application, to receiving it? thanks so much.

I applied for my passport online on a Monday afternoon and I had it by Friday, couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

frash wrote: »
    Just realised I filled in the form in blue pen and shouldn't have
    Guard never mentioned it (not up to them really) nor did the lady in the post office when doing passport express (again not up to her).

Do they just send it back does anyone know?

It's for my daughter & she's travelling mid May so thought I was in with plenty of time but if they send it back to I go to the end of the queue again?

The Garda that signed our sons renewal did their section in blue pen and same pen was used for sons signature. Wasn't an issue in the end despite causing mild panic when it was noticed.

The forms are machine readable so no guarantees it won't be an issue but should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

At what point in the renewal process does your current passport become invalid? Or is it valid up until its expiry date even if another one has been issued? I would imagine you can't have two at once but I'm not clear on how it works. If I apply now I'll be travelling in that 10-15 day window when it might be issued. Just want to ensure my current passport won't be invalidated while I'm overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Henno30 wrote: »
    At what point in the renewal process does your current passport become invalid? Or is it valid up until its expiry date even if another one has been issued? I would imagine you can't have two at once but I'm not clear on how it works. If I apply now I'll be travelling in that 10-15 day window when it might be issued. Just want to ensure my current passport won't be invalidated while I'm overseas.

Thank you, I'm an idiot. Mine's up in June and I've been holding off trying to find the right time to renew it. Never occurred to me with the online process you don't have to send back the old one

MOH wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm an idiot. Mine's up in June and I've been holding off trying to find the right time to renew it. Never occurred to me with the online process you don't have to send back the old one

Do you know what the story is with the old one once the new one has been issued?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Henno30 wrote: »
    Do you know what the story is with the old one once the new one has been issued?

I'd presume they'll ask you to clip the edges and write 'cancelled' on it opposite teh photo page!

I'd presume they'll ask you to clip the edges and write 'cancelled' on it opposite teh photo page!

Let's say I'm in Paris having used the old passport to travel. While I'm there the new one is posted out to me. Can I still fly back on the old one, or is it invalidated by the issue of the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I believe the old one is invalid once the new one is printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Hi

I’ve to send off more documentation to the balbriggan office. Can I just drop it in as they rang and given me their contact address?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Hi

I’ve to send off more documentation to the balbriggan office. Can I just drop it in as they rang and given me their contact address?

Thanks

I don't think there's a public office in Balbriggan. My understanding is that it's processing & printing only but I could be wrong.

fdevine wrote: »
    I don't think there's a public office in Balbriggan. My understanding is that it's processing & printing only but I could be wrong.

More wishful thinking. Sent off the form for a new passport for baby. 4 weeks later they rang to say they needed my passport.

New one for me that you needed to send that in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

More wishful thinking. Sent off the form for a new passport for baby. 4 weeks later they rang to say they needed my passport.

It’s all here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html#l5af5e

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I just sent my birth cert when we applied for my son's 1st passport, as I travel with work a lot and didn't want to give over my passport for a few weeks (though I do also have a passport card)

Thanks.

What’s the point in bringing identification to Garda station and getting it stamped and you still need to send it on.

I’m more annoyed it took 4 weeks to highlight even though I sent it express.

Anyway thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Anyone have an update on how long it takes to get a new passport?

Mine probably won't fall into the passport renewal category as I've had my passport stolen and I think it takes longer than a passport renewal to get that sorted.

I see on the An Post website that renewing such a passport via Passport Express could take up to twenty five working days. I could live with that but I am wondering if it has taken longer than that for some folk, especially under the current pressures that the Passport Office people seem to be enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Mine is just a normal child’s renewal but I posted Friday, they received yesterday, and it says on the tracker that the estimated time is 18th April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 law1996

Hello! I lost my passport and visited the passport office on Wednesday the 14th. They said because I had lost more than one passport my replacement would not be ready till the 29th, and I am travelling on the 30th! It seems to be about 80% done (hard to tell on the tracker). I am getting quite nervous now as I am travelling on the 30th. If they said to collect on the 29th will it be there? or does anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

What is the procedure for a lost passport card?

Be careful with regards to passport cards, the website does say that if you lose/damage a passport card more than once , you may not be eligible for a new card.

Applies to cards stolen as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Redhenrun wrote: »
    Anyone have an update on how long it takes to get a new passport?

Mine probably won't fall into the passport renewal category as I've had my passport stolen and I think it takes longer than a passport renewal to get that sorted.

I see on the An Post website that renewing such a passport via Passport Express could take up to twenty five working days. I could live with that but I am wondering if it has taken longer than that for some folk, especially under the current pressures that the Passport Office people seem to be enduring.

28 working days via Passport Express if it’s not a renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 sweetcake

I posted my child’s passport renewal with passport express on 26th Feb and it’s not due to issue until 11th April so there are huge delays at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement